Amber Guyger indicted for murder? Wow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amber Guyger indicted for murder? Wow.

Guyger was arrested on a manslaughter charge on Sept. 9, three days after the shooting. But it was up to the grand jury this week to decide what charge she would face, or if she would be indicted at all.

All I can figure is there must have been evidence presented to the grand jury that contradicted her story. Manslaughter and a long prison sentence is what I was expecting - but murder?

I figured manslaughter and she would probably serve a couple of years maybe 3 at the most if she got 10 years or less. I believe murder is going to be very difficult to prove especially since the Texas Rangers were for manslaughter charges. I believe this is a political farce already by the way it's being explained by Faith Johnson. Nothing to now but let it go through the (politically motivated) process.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Didnt she murder an unarmed guy sitting on his own sofa, or did she manslaughter him. It could have been any of you.

Comment

nm

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          Didnt she murder an unarmed guy sitting on his own sofa, or did she manslaughter him. It could have been any of you.
          So you think murder charges are the appropriate charges?

I spouted off what I did based on the limited information that is available to us as well as the press conference. There may be some shocking information that comes out during the trial that may justify the charges but I would be surprised. It was stated in the press conference that the city of Dallas in special prosecutor some such or another had interviewed over 300 Witnesses and implied that the Texas Rangers did not do that. Just that statement alone sounds utterly ridiculous to me. I have a lot more faith in the Texas Rangers gathering all the information and putting the case together to present to the district attorney than the Dallas politicians.

Comment

I would think proving murder as legally defined is going to be high bar for prosecutors. I guess they must have evidence not yet made public. I am not an attorney but isn't there danger in overreaching for a murder conviction?

Comment

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post
              I figured manslaughter and she would probably serve a couple of years maybe 3 at the most if she got 10 years or less. I believe murder is going to be very difficult to prove especially since the Texas Rangers were for manslaughter charges. I believe this is a political farce already by the way it's being explained by Faith Johnson. Nothing to now but let it go through the (politically motivated) process.

I agree with this ^

Comment

They'll been a plea bargain

Comment

I listened to some of the press conference. A question was asked about the difference in murder and manslaughter. She said the difference was explained, and the evidence delivered, and the grand jury came out with murder. I have always felt like there was a lot more to this than we have heard. I guess we will find out when they try her. Be interesting I bet.

Comment

I'm wondering why they let Botham John's family testify before the Grand Jury? What facts could they provide? Seems to me it let a lot of emotion into the fact finding proceedings.
                    Last edited by Froggy; 11-30-2018, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Maybe they went with a murder charge knowing it won't stick?

I do find it odd that she doesn't know which apartment was hers. Killing an innocent person sitting in their own house is pretty bad.

Comment

Most key aspect I heard in news story was that a new DA will have the case going forward.

Comment

There are plenty of cases that were overcharged, likely due to their high profile, that ended with not guilty verdicts when a lesser charge may have gotten a conviction. Zimmerman and Casey Anthony come to mind.

Comment

If I walked into your house and shot you dead, I’d get murder charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                              Maybe they went with a murder charge knowing it won't stick?

I do find it odd that she doesn't know which apartment was hers. Killing an innocent person sitting in their own house is pretty bad.
                              And the highly improbable coincidence that the one time she goes to the wrong apartment, the door just happens to have been left ajar (as she claims)?

Let's clear up legal definitions here. Per Texas penal code title 5 chapter 19

Sec. 19.02. MURDER.

(b) A person commits an offense if he:

(1) intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual;

(2) intends to cause serious bodily injury and commits an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual; or

(3) commits or attempts to commit a felony, other than manslaughter, and in the course of and in furtherance of the commission or attempt, or in immediate flight from the commission or attempt, he commits or attempts to commit an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual.

Sec. 19.04. MANSLAUGHTER. (a) A person commits an offense if he recklessly causes the death of an individual.

So basically the difference is intent. According to her statement, she shot him on purpose, not on accident (recklessly). That's murder in Texas by definition 1 or 2. You'll notice pre-meditation is not required.
                              Last edited by sir shovelhands; 11-30-2018, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X