Shed internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shed internet

The shed outside is my office. Its about 90 ft from the house. I was using a mifi mobile hotspot provided by work for internet and it worked great. Then I got laid off and the mifi got turned off.

Now I have a new job and I need to provide my own internet out there. Is there any decent way to get the home wifi extended out there (we have an xfinity provided router) Or should I just pay for my own mobile hotspot? Any other options anyone suggests?

Here's what I did....
    Where our house DSL modem/WiFi router is located within the house I could get a signal in my workshop which is about 80 foot from the house. I ran an ethernet drop to a wall outlet near a window that faces my workshop. I bought an el cheap o WiFi router and placed it on the window ledge and now I get good wireless coverage in my workshop.

Comment

When I had internet installed, I had them install a WiFi broadcaster on the outside corner of my house. I can get a signal in my shop and down at my barn. I’ve been in the field behind my house and picked it up over 400 yds away.

Comment

Originally posted by PredatorControl View Post
        When I had internet installed, I had them install a WiFi broadcaster on the outside corner of my house. I can get a signal in my shop and down at my barn. I’ve been in the field behind my house and picked it up over 400 yds away.
        Either a WiFi broadcaster or something to pull your signal in. I use this on my RV and works great. https://www.technorv.com/wifi-camp-pro-kit-2/

If you bought the camp pro 2, it's portable so you can take it with you where ever you go. I worked from my rv for 2 weeks earlier this month and was pulling in rv parks and state parks wifi and it worked for me.

Comment

I've been using these for about 2 years. They are about 100 yards away. It's basically a wireless Ethernet cable

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all the options. 400 yds is way more than I ever expected you could get with something like that.

The portable one also would come in handy since I’ll be traveling now.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
              Thanks for all the options. 400 yds is way more than I ever expected you could get with something like that.

You can do it a mile if you wanted to.
              Setting up a wireless bridge is pretty easy, if you're just a little bit techy.
              I would recommend Ubiquiti Locos if you go that route.

Comment

Xfinity won’t let you extend unless you use their equipment is what I’ve been told. I’d look into that before spending money on things.

Comment

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
                  Xfinity won’t let you extend unless you use their equipment is what I’ve been told. I’d look into that before spending money on things.
                  Go figure. Thanks for the heads up. I really like the Xfinity reliability but you certainly pay for it. I’ll see if they have an in-house solution.

Comment

Shed internet

We just bought a GotW3 and it works great. $99 a month and can take it anywhere there’s phone signal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Backwoods101; 08-01-2020, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post

For the camp pro 2 that I posted above, they have a more powerful antenna that you may want to get for that distance. You might want to put your router near a window on that side of the house as well. Give it more of a direct line of sight with no walls between them.

The first time I used it in my RV I chose to use a signal from a nearby shopping center that was probably 400 yards or more away instead of the RV park wifi that was less than 100 yards away. Worked fine for me.

If I was ordering again, I would get the suction cup mount. Get some pcv pipe so you can mount on the side and lift above the RV for more direct line of sight. I have an app on my phone that lets me check signal strength. I would walk around my trailer and find the side with best signal and mount over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                        We just bought a GotW3 and it works great. $99 a month and can take it anywhere there’s phone signal

Is this fast enough to stream movies ? Could I connect my tv to it ? Where I live I’m very limited for Internet .

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                          Is this fast enough to stream movies ? Could I connect my tv to it ? Where I live I’m very limited for Internet .

If you have a smart TV. We have it connected to an Xbox.
                          My son plays fortnite on it with zero issues so it should stream movies with ease.

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
                            If you have a smart TV. We have it connected to an Xbox.
                            My son plays fortnite on it with zero issues so it should stream movies with ease.

Thanks , will look into it .

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                              You can do it a mile if you wanted to.
                              Setting up a wireless bridge is pretty easy, if you're just a little bit techy.
                              I would recommend Ubiquiti Locos if you go that route.
                              x2

Comment

Working...
                              X