YouTube mechanic videos to the rescue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    Yep...my wife's SUV had the battery in the back and I had no idea!

I was getting frustrated just trying to find the battery. Last suv it was in the floorboard behind the back seat . Gave up and YouTube it . Had to use to to change a headlight bulb too . It’s a pain in the tail to change .

Comment

No telling how much money youtube has cost people who fix things for a living. Mechanics, electricians, plumbers etc. Gunsmiths too - I've twice broken an old firearm down to the pins for a good cleaning and couldn't figure out how to get it back together. Both times it was because I got a step out of order - youtube to the rescue!

Comment

I drive a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer and this guy has helped me save lots of money doing my own repairs.

Repairs/maintenance/modifications to the 2002-2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer/ GMC Envoy. 3/19/24 In progress - diagnose no power to the fuel pump on ruby red Upcoming: Ruby red headlight rewiring Delaware DMV inspection update 07 Envoy cabin filter mod (auto hvac) It's been a battle getting my life back together since 2020. Thanks for all the prayers, training, vitamins, and pepes.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
          I used it to fix a Henway (deluxe model) and was able to buy 55 gallons of fluid for it on a YouTube Chanel called "KCA Ranch". The Henway was only 47.50 and KCA sold me the fluid (that looks, tastes, and smells just like water) for 799.90 plus shipping.
          Great...now everyone knows you got a brother in law deal!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            No telling how much money youtube has cost people who fix things for a living. Mechanics, electricians, plumbers etc. Gunsmiths too - I've twice broken an old firearm down to the pins for a good cleaning and couldn't figure out how to get it back together. Both times it was because I got a step out of order - youtube to the rescue!
            The only thing I could not fix was my fuel pump. Its located in the gas tank. I started that project and quickly realized that this was not a job I could complete in my driveway. Had to call a tow truck to haul it to the mechanic shop.

Comment

Love YouTube. Saved thousands changing fan blower on HVAC, bushings on Polaris, brakes, outboard water pump, lower unit oil, etc etc etc.

Comment

about 10 years ago a me and a friend watched a video on how to recharge the AC on my truck and got it blowing cold after not working for over a year. not a big deal on its own, but it showed me and my friend that there's a whole lot more that can be done by yourself at home other than spark plugs and oil changes.

this change in mindset has saved me more than I could easily count, especially on car related things.

Comment

Priced getting a new screen put in my granddaughters laptop. $300!!!!! Watched a vid and ordered a screen on line for $50. Putting it in this weekend. I've lost count of how many auto related ones I've watched.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    What's some of your stories where YouTube videos saved the day mechanically?

I'm not what you'd call mechanically inclined...but I can search YouTube like a sumbeetch.

The most recent success was earlier this week. Daughter called me stranded....40 miles away.

The Rubicon wouldn't shift into gear....moved around but nothing happening.

Got on the YT and started searching. Went to the garage and got a flashlight, handful of big zip ties and hit the road.

A cheap *** bushing that connects the shifter cable to the tranny had failed and the connector fell off.

I was able to ziptie the connector back on and get the Jeep home. Ordered the bushing kit for around $19 shipped and put it on yesterday.

Probably would have cost several hundred at a dealership or mechanic.

I've had several other "victories" with installing a winch bumper and winch, replacing a wheel speed sensor, cabin filter on f250, etc.

Y'all got any good ones?
                    I did the same zip tie truck with my 2004 LJ. Worked like a charm. I’ve used YouTube videos for several repairs on my jeeps.

Comment

Awe, nobody going to ask “ What’s a Henway?”

Comment

I google and youtube everything.

I credit it with teaching me how to please my wife.

She always has something she's seen on Pinterest that she wants me to build.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Ranger View Post
                          Awe, nobody going to ask “ What’s a Henway?”
                          youtube it!

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                            Always drove Chevys so I've never had to use youtube to learn how to fix anything.
                            To be fair, "pull the very new broken transmission out, install the brand new transmission" wouldn't be a very long video

Comment

I'm very mechanically inclined and repairing stuff is what I do for a living but I still use youtube repair videos all the time. They save a lot of hours when you can see how something is put together before diving in. One of the few times I got stumped and youtube rescued me was the first time I encountered twist in brake calipers, c clamps don't work on those.

Comment

The wife's expedition. Not sure of the layman's term but the technical term is rear-seat-upper-downer-motor'n'switch. - fixed that with YT's help/guidance.

My old (finally gone) hunting truck - brake light switch - didn't even know that existed. - fixed that.

And learned how to "weld" - and trust me the quotes are there for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X