CCA Life Membership 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El General View Post
    The 10 fish limit and not having the big fish doesn't have any correlation.
    Perhaps they don't and I'm not saying that it was the cause. I'm just noting about when we quit seeing big fish. I know there are a number of factors, weirs blocking the marsh, hurricanes, pressure and so on and so forth. Didn't mean to mislead.

Comment

I think it was a combo of oyster dredging and the explosion of guide numbers over there. I believe 2014 was the last year we were catching solid numbers of 5+ lb trout on Sabine, which was mirroring over there. The huge influx of freshwater at all the wrong times is what I think has hurt Sabine so much, but I did hear of a 32” trout being caught this year, which I haven’t heard any news like that in a long time.

I also think the huge increase in shrimpers and crabbers in the marsh bayous and drains have not helped either. Heck, there are folks running crab traps where I used to duck hunt in LA.

Comment

Originally posted by slayr View Post
        I think it was a combo of oyster dredging and the explosion of guide numbers over there. I believe 2014 was the last year we were catching solid numbers of 5+ lb trout on Sabine, which was mirroring over there. The huge influx of freshwater at all the wrong times is what I think has hurt Sabine so much, but I did hear of a 32” trout being caught this year, which I haven’t heard any news like that in a long time.

I also think the huge increase in shrimpers and crabbers in the marsh bayous and drains have not helped either. Heck, there are folks running crab traps where I used to duck hunt in LA.
        We gotta dodge the Hmong boats during duck season.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
          I used to be a real big trout fisherman. Fished all the tourneys, fished for only big trout. I once fished a tourney that paid the top 20. I took 18th place at the time with a 6.26. 20th place was 6.22 or some such. 20 fish over 6. The next year I tied for 1st with a fish over 8. Ever since they dropped the limit to 10 we seemed inundated with pickles. No more were the big fish. It became a miracle to see a 5lber. Then came the dredges. I don't even go to the lake with a rod n reel anymore. Only in October to catch my shrimp and then it's back to bow hunting. There is a young man that is going to marry my niece next Friday. He guides for Grosse Savanne in south Lake Charles. He's eat up with the trout fishing but he wants to catch a big one. He tells me all the time how he wished he was around when I was tourney fishing. He's looking at going out of state just so he can try for a fish over 5
          Oystermen were not the cause of the decline of big trout.......
          East Matagorda Bay has lost almost 90% of its live shell do to parasites and high salinity levels, yet produces trophy trout everyday

Comment

This is what they emailed me when I asked about it back in January
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
              Is there fine print somewhere else? Strikes me as odd that it says “can receive”. No bueno for sure.
              I was wondering if they were drawing a distinction between "can" and "will".

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                Oystermen were not the cause of the decline of big trout.......

East Matagorda Bay has lost almost 90% of its live shell do to parasites and high salinity levels, yet produces trophy trout everyday
                Oh I didnt say they were.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

So where is the replacement rifle?

Comment

I called cca, twice, to get info on that gun 'offer'. one spokeswoman was unsure of barrel length, it such barrel length included length of brake, etc... I couldn't get them to give me an exact wb model.. so I passed.. and I'm not really a big cca supporter..

Comment

CCA has contacted me, trying to find out what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I used to be a real big trout fisherman. Fished all the tourneys, fished for only big trout. I once fished a tourney that paid the top 20. I took 18th place at the time with a 6.26. 20th place was 6.22 or some such. 20 fish over 6. The next year I tied for 1st with a fish over 8. Ever since they dropped the limit to 10 we seemed inundated with pickles. No more were the big fish. It became a miracle to see a 5lber. Then came the dredges. I don't even go to the lake with a rod n reel anymore. Only in October to catch my shrimp and then it's back to bow hunting. There is a young man that is going to marry my niece next Friday. He guides for Grosse Savanne in south Lake Charles. He's eat up with the trout fishing but he wants to catch a big one. He tells me all the time how he wished he was around when I was tourney fishing. He's looking at going out of state just so he can try for a fish over 5
                        Around 2000 or 2001 you could catch full limits of 5 - 8 pounders. We've caught them to a little over 10 pounds back then, it was stupid. We were wading over there and it was first for the local guys to really start seeing waders on a regular basis. You'd have a boat troll around a point and you could hear the guys in the boat talking "look there ain't nobody in that boat...oh there he is, he's wading hahahaha" as they were catching their dinks.

It has drastically changed since then though, it certainly not the place it was. I think it may have been overfished quite a bit then because once the word got out every Tom **** and Harry with a boat was over there from TX. Followed by the hurricanes, ever since Holly Beach got moved into Big Lake it hasn't been the same, followed by habitat destruction form the dredging.

My best day ever we rolled out of the boat and started smoking big trout on Super Spooks, it was inssae how violently they would hit the bait and troll themselves all up in the line. You'd break one off the pure would pp back up only to be hit by another trout. I had minimum 15 fish over 8 pounds that day, had one much much bigger that I broke off and a friend had a solid 10 as well. We kept several fish each that day, but all in the 3-5 pound range and let all the big fish go, It was unreal. Days like that are long gone I'm afraid.

I'm sure there are still big fish to be caught there, you just have to get out of the boat and get after them, but it isn't as plentiful as it once was.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                          Around 2000 or 2001 you could catch full limits of 5 - 8 pounders. We've caught them to a little over 10 pounds back then, it was stupid. We were wading over there and it was first for the local guys to really start seeing waders on a regular basis. You'd have a boat troll around a point and you could hear the guys in the boat talking "look there ain't nobody in that boat...oh there he is, he's wading hahahaha" as they were catching their dinks.

It has drastically changed since then though, it certainly not the place it was. I think it may have been overfished quite a bit then because once the word got out every Tom **** and Harry with a boat was over there from TX. Followed by the hurricanes, ever since Holly Beach got moved into Big Lake it hasn't been the same, followed by habitat destruction form the dredging.

My best day ever we rolled out of the boat and started smoking big trout on Super Spooks, it was inssae how violently they would hit the bait and troll themselves all up in the line. You'd break one off the pure would pp back up only to be hit by another trout. I had minimum 15 fish over 8 pounds that day, had one much much bigger that I broke off and a friend had a solid 10 as well. We kept several fish each that day, but all in the 3-5 pound range and let all the big fish go, It was unreal. Days like that are long gone I'm afraid.

I'm sure there are still big fish to be caught there, you just have to get out of the boat and get after them, but it isn't as plentiful as it once was.
                          Yup, there were so many texas boats cuttin you off of every drift or wade. The big fish were gone and my blood pressure couldn't take it anymore. I let em have it

Comment

Yup, there were so many texas boats cuttin you off of every drift or wade. The big fish were gone and my blood pressure couldn't take it anymore. I let em have it

Yep. it was bad. I quit going on weekends because of this.

Comment

Did you ever get the rifle straightened out?

Comment

Originally posted by uttlc View Post
                                This is what they emailed me when I asked about it back in January
                                Interesting as the rifle I got isn’t the one highlighted on the sheet. It looks similar to the one on the flyer, but doesn’t have the composite stock and Weatherby confirmed it’s not an Accuguard model.
                                Last edited by texaspyro21; 08-18-2020, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X