The 2020 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
    I've been thinking about the same thing.

GS or Jason, any advice on the cheaper hand helds? By cheaper I'm talking about something in the $300-$500 range like the Leupold quest. Would something like that work? I see the range on the Leupold is ~300 yds which is fine for me. If that is the only limitation, I could make that work. With that said, I know nothing about thermal so I have no clue what would work and not work, especially in a hunting situation. I have also seen the Seek phone attachments but I'm guessing those wouldn't work in a hunting situation.
    I've used and sold them all. In my opinion, the Leupold LTO Tracker (and the Quest) are good little thermals for finding a dead deer or hog in the woods. That's what they were designed for. If you want to look around the back yard to see what the dog is barking at, they're good for that too. But for real spotting in hunting situations...they really don't cut the mustard for several reasons. First off, a positive ID range is very limited and a "pretty sure" ID range is limited to about 100 yards give or take on larger animals like deer. When you get out past that everything turns into a tiny white blob and getting on out into the 200 yard range they turn into a white dot at best. Another huge downfall is that when using the Tracker or the Quest your face is lit up like a Christmas tree because you don't put your eye up to the optic like a monocular. They are both remote viewers, meaning you hold them out away from your eye.

The FLIR TK Scout is a handheld thermal monocular that has similar image quality, if not a step down. It also has a non-removable rechargeable battery, so when it dies you have a paper weight.

I quit selling the Leupolds and the TK Scout because no matter how much warning I gave people, no matter how much I told them it wasn't going to do what they wanted it to, people still bought them and wanted to return them. They are a fun toy but that's about it. For real in the field hunting, spotting and ID'ing, you're looking at spending about $1,699+ and that would be something like the Pulsar Axion thermal monocular. I keep hoping we will see something down there in the $1,000 range but so far the quality at those kinds of prices are just sub-par.

Hope that helps!

- Jason

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
      On the reviews for the wraith, they are saying out to 200 yards. Is that in pitch black with IR light?

With a full moon, can you see and ID much further? Is the IR light even needed?
      Yes sir, pitch black night you can see 150-200 yards. 150-175 is very realistic. A full moon will get you out to 200ish but the Wraith HD does not do well at picking up ambient/moon light. If you add something like a Sniper Hog Light 66LRX to the Wraith, you can easily see out to 400+ yards. It's a nigh and day difference, no pun intended.

The IR on the Wraith is really good though considering what has been included in the past with $500 digital NV optics. If you're only needing to see 175ish yards or less, it will do you fine but if you want to go further, you're going to need to add a really big and bright IR.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
        On the reviews for the wraith, they are saying out to 200 yards. Is that in pitch black with IR light?

With a full moon, can you see and ID much further? Is the IR light even needed?

With my wraith on average on a dark night I can see 200 yards pretty easily. On bright nights depending on the back ground and terrain I can see a few hundred yards. That’s with stock IR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Jason

I have the Armasight Zeus 336

I am wanting to video record but was wondering if there is a cheaper or better route than the Flir DVR?

I found a few cables on your website but I am not sure what else to buy.

Comment

Here is a picture from my first night out with the Zeus
            Had another shooter with the Photon and another with the wraith

Comment

Originally posted by LMiz View Post

Here is a picture from my first night out with the Zeus
              Had another shooter with the Photon and another with the wraith

Good work!! One guy needs a suppressor

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                Good work!! One guy needs a suppressor
                Preaching to the choir with that comment haha

We make him set up 10-15 feet away from us when we start shooting.

Once you get a suppressor you will begin to hate how loud your buddys ARs is without one. Especially if he is standing anywhere near you.

Comment

Got this boar the other night by using the convergent bullet. Ever seen a boar with just top teeth and no bottom ?!?

Comment

Originally posted by kkp005 View Post

Got this boar the other night by using the convergent bullet. Ever seen a boar with just top teeth and no bottom ?!?

Yup if they really get to brawling they’ll bust them off. What rifle you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Anyone have feed back on the Thor 4 384 scopes?

Comment

Question on th nvision... Do you have to close the eyepiece and manually nuc it all the time like the Trijicon reap ir? If so I’m not sure if I want one

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                          The Halo LR isn't really 3.5x although the specs say that. The general consensus is that it's closer to 3 or 3.25x. I don't think it's too much for 30 yards if you don't plan on taking a lot of follow up shots but it's definitely not too much for 75 yards. It's definitely a touch more than I'd want for 50 yards or less IF you're planning on taking a bunch of follow up shots. I've used it at 30-40 yards with no problem and it's definitely a MUCH wider FOV than the PTS536 but it's still a little more mag that I'd want for tons of those close shots.

Jason
                          Thinking halo 25mm is what I need, but not sure about the Nuc process on these. Manually nucing all the time might be a deal breaker for me, my buddy has a reap ir and he hates it.

Watched Hans review and didn’t hear him mention anything about it, maybe I missed it.
                          Last edited by RMW; 01-13-2020, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                            Yup if they really get to brawling they’ll bust them off. What rifle you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            That ones a 7.62 x 39 palmetto state

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                              Question on th nvision... Do you have to close the eyepiece and manually nuc it all the time like the Trijicon reap ir? If so I’m not sure if I want one
                              Yes sir as far as I know that’s the only way to do it. I put my hand in front sometimes and do it that way. To me the image stays good for a pretty long time in between nucs. I kind of like the Manual Nuc so you don’t have to worry about it nucing in the middle of the action

Comment

Yes sir as far as I know that’s the only way to do it. I put my hand in front sometimes and do it that way. To me the image stays good for a pretty long time in between nucs. I kind of like the Manual Nuc so you don’t have to worry about it nucing in the middle of the action
                                How long is a long time? 3,5,or 10 min

Is it just pressing one button

Comment

Working...
                                X