Diesel gurus - input needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel gurus - input needed

In the next month or two I will be buying my parents’ 2012 GMC Duramax, completely stock. They purchased it with 6400 miles and it currently has right at 57k miles. I would like to add a tuner without dropping a bunch of money removing/deleting parts. It will be used as a daily driver (around 50 miles round trip per day). I’d like to maximize mpg mostly.

So what’s the least intrusive upgrades I can do without dropping several $k’s doing a full blown delete?

Recommendations? Of things to replace as soon as I buy it?

Thanks in advance!

Buy a car

Comment

I have a Superchips tuner for my truck but it's a gasser. Not sure what all you'd have to add to make it a healthy engine, not familiar with the Duramax motors

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
        Buy a car
        And a electric car at that you are only driving 50 miles a day

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
          And a electric car at that you are only driving 50 miles a day
          Buy a car
          If I needed a car, I’d own one. Doubt it would pull a trailer or 5th wheel very well the dozen or so times I pull them each year.

Comment

Basic delete pipe and small tune. Less than 1k Drive it! Stay on top of maintenance. They are good trucks

Comment

Solid rigs, besides the injector pump. At a minimum, I would recommend a Fass fuel system and a WCFab disaster Prevention kit as cheap insurance. If the Cp4 grenades, the entire fuel system has to be replaced which is about $10k.

The EPA pushed so much recently that many delete options are off of the market. We currently use CTT emissions intact tuning which leaves all of the factory exhaust/egr parts on the vehicle (and legal). We're fairly local to you and can help you out if you have any questions...

Also, look into the Cat fuel filter adapters, saves a ton of money over time!

Maxwell Competition Diesel in Brenham, Texas

Comment

Lift pump lift pump lift pump.

Then worry about a tuner

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
                  If I needed a car, I’d own one. Doubt it would pull a trailer or 5th wheel very well the dozen or so times I pull them each year.
                  Sorry to make you feel insulted
                  I would look at a BANKS DERRINGER https://youtu.be/560c5PvW9tk
                  It will keep you emission legal and also provide different tuning and power options to maximize mpg and then power
                  Best of luck in the new oil burner
                  Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-18-2019, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                    Sorry to make you feel insulted
                    I would look at a BANKS DERRINGER https://youtu.be/560c5PvW9tk
                    It will keep you emission legal and also provide different tuning and power options to maximize mpg and then power
                    Best of luck in the new oil burner
                    No apology needed sir, just a car wouldn’t suit my family’s lifestyle or needs. I will definitely look into everyone’s recommendations as I have zero knowledge in the diesel dept. my Tundra has been scooting along like a champ, but I have an opportunity to get into a newer truck for cheaper than I would be able to find!

Comment

Leave it alone. You punk azzes amaze me [emoji13]

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Have a 2012 gmc purchased with 56k miles. At that time it just got out if the shop for def problems. I was averaging 13mpg all highway bone stock. It was in constant regen and dealer thought it was normal. Went with PPEI ezlynk with selection knob. Dropped stock exhaust, bolted up new exhaust and resonator, 20mpg.

Comment

Buy a car
                          This... a Prius would get like 50 MPG

Comment

Race pipe or full exhaust, do a full egr delete (don't just turn it off), small tune, and LIFT PUMP!! I don't care what everyone says about Allisons, they do not like much power over stock..
                            Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I too vote leave it alone..Double check its Diesel and most are 100K warranty...not sure if theres a year limit...

Comment

Working...
                              X