Nilgai failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai failure

Got invited down to a HF ranch in Falfurrias to nilgai hunt Thursday, I took my 270 wsm w/ 140 grain accubonds in tow. Ranch owner wasn’t comfortable with that round so he gave me his 7mm weatherby mag w/ 160 grain partitions to shoot. We headed out on high rack on a Jeep. We drive for a couple hours then at last light going back to lodge we see a big old bull on a fence line, put it tight on his shoulder pulled trigger and heard it hit hard at roughly 180 yards. Bull ran straight into brush, we then make first mistake and only waited 15 min or so bc sun was going down. Didn’t find any blood and looked for about 20 min till dark. We decided to back out go eat and come back with flash lights. So approx 4 hrs after shot we went out to look. The three of us split up, I eventually find him still alive only 80 yards or so from where he was shot but didn’t have a gun mistake #2. He jumped up and ran off never to be seen again, we found his blood trail with good bright lung blood but it went cold. Put in prob 20 miles if walking over next day and half with no luck. First time I’ve lost an animal and it just so happened to be a hint someone else paid for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang! That stinks!

Comment

I have always heard that they are tough critters.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah they are super tough. Sorry to hear that.

Comment

Hate to hear that-- just part of hunting.

Comment

Man that’s a tough break. A 7mm partition through the lungs should put anything down. Tough critters for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bummer

Comment

Yeah those are two well learned lessons. Sorry for the lost Nilgai.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. They are crazy tough especially the big ones

Comment

Sorry to hear about that. I put 2 rounds of 7mm stw with accubonds into a bull and he still ran. Neither bullet exited. Very tough animals.

Comment

Bad deal.. Very, very tuff animals for sure.. Some Big bulls can soak up some serious punishment..
                      Most people do not realize how thick and tuff the skin can be on some bulls.. I've seen it over an inch thick in the shoulders and neck..

Comment

Ouch that is a hard couple lessons to learn in that situation.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I would never use someone else rifle with out shooting it first and then it would need to be explained that is the only way I’m going to hunt. I hate you lost it. Either gun would kill that animal no doubt if hit right.

Comment

they are insanely tough animals.

sorry about the lose.

Comment

Sorry about losing the animal, it is a sickening feeling. I myself have never shot one, but my friend lost one a couple of years ago with a .300 win mag. Very tough animals for sure.
                              Last edited by blfx4; 01-18-2020, 05:37 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Working...
                              X