Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
    Give me your suggestions GS......

I am in the market for a new caliber of rifle to buy and just don't know what to get. I have a 22, 223, 270, and 3006. This would mostly be for mostly hunting in the hill country. Give me any good suggestions or reviews yall have.

thanks

You realistically have everything to cover your intended uses list.

One of my favorite rifles is the 257 Weatherby. It’s amazing how fast the kills are on everything I’ve shot out to 400+ yards.

If you’re wanting a more compact option 260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor ([emoji2961]) 7-08 or even a good ole .308 would be good choices for a shorter barrel setup.

The Weatherby shines best with 26” and up barrels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

7/08
      .257 or 25/06

Comment

Skip the 25-06 for now since you have a 270 and go for the 7mm-08 or 308. Everybody needs a 308. Ammo is cheap and readily available, and the wide variety of grains and bullet types for the 308 are pretty much unmatched. Killed a ton a critters with a 308, and have been itching to try the 7mm-08.

Comment

I would go 7mm-08. Take a look at Tikka and Bergara.

Comment

If you go for the 25-06 stay away from Howa/Weatherby. Trust me.....

Comment

Get a TC Encore 7mm-08 or 22-250. Great guns for anyone. If you have a bunch of bolt guns it'll change it up. Its one of my favorite rifles to bring with me. That and my Sako .308.

Comment

.243 absolutely. 22-250 possibly.

Comment

I have a 257 weatherby mag. I love it. Killed loads of hill country deer, lots of hogs and a red stag with it. I would highly recommend the round.

Comment

[QUOTE=SneakyPhil;14643131]25-06 all day and twice on Sunday.[/QUOTE

X1000, easy on the recoil for the kids and a DRT machine, behind the shoulder and 75% fall over!

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
                      25-06 all day and twice on Sunday.
                      This, let my buddy borrow mine to go hunt in Louisiana and the second he got back he wanted to buy it from me. Ain’t happening.

Comment

25-06 gets my vote.

Comment

.25-06 or 6.5 will fit well in there.
                          7mm-08 will cause you to lay down that 270 and never pick it up again, so pick your poison.

Comment

Get you a fun lever gun 357,44 Mag, 45 Long Colt or 45/70

Comment

I’d say something in the .308 parent case I.E. 7-08, 308,243 .260/6.5creed.

Also couldn’t go wrong with a 6.5grendel.

Comment

7x57 or 35 whelen.

Comment

Working...
                                X