No announcement yet.

what caliber to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see several that I own that would all fit nicely...260 Rem, 280, 7x57, 25-06 would all be great additions. Bigger calibers would be 7mm Mag, 300 Mag.

Comment

6.5X55 Swedish Mauser. A CZ 557 with a VX3i and shooting 130 or 140 grain pills will do the trick.

The 557 has a 24" barrel, but I think there is a CZ model that has a 20" barrel in that caliber as well.

Comment

if you ever want to hunt elk etc... 300 Win Mag would be a great addition

Comment

For deer, yotes, piggies and everything in between I’d go with a 6.8SPC.

Comment

Lever gun in 45-70...

Comment

I would say a .243 or 6.5 creed if you're only going to be using it in the hill country.

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
                have you shot or own both of these calibers? which one do you like better?
                I own a 25-06 and love it. My son owns a 6.5CM. He loves it. The two rounds are in the same class however this 6.5CM has an updated bullet design with a higher BC. The 25-06 is an older design. The 6.5CM (aka Man-Bun!) is touted as a better long range option. Check the link below for a good comparison:

The little known 25-06 Remington can outperform the 270 Winchester and 6.5 Creedmoor, and with better bullets could do even more.

Comment

Give me your suggestions GS......

I am in the market for a new caliber of rifle to buy and just don't know what to get. I have a 22, 223, 270, and 3006. This would mostly be for mostly hunting in the hill country. Give me any good suggestions or reviews yall have.

thanks
                  What are you hunting by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                    What are you hunting by the way?
                    whitetail, axis, and the occasional pig or coyote that crosses my path.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                      25-06
                      7mm-08
                      264 win mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this but would add the .257 weatherby mag. I have a hard time deciding which rifle to hunt with between my .257 wby and my .264 win mag

Comment

7mm-08 vote here

“Fools multiply when wise men are silent” -Nelson Mandela

Comment

do I live under a rock??? 264 win mag.....I am not familiar nor have I heard of this said caliber.

great caliber!! It is like the big man's version of the 6.5 manbun

I have one in a model 70 featherweight....sweetest shootin most accurate rifle I own and it is a killer

Comment

do I live under a rock??? 264 win mag.....I am not familiar nor have I heard of this said caliber.
                            It is a great round. Ex shoots one. Biggest problem is the shells aren't at everystore and they are expensive. One thing I look for in a hunting rifle is a round that I can get at small town grocery stores/feed stores/ gun shops. I have left my shells at the house and needed to pick some up at these places.

Comment

25-06 is missing from your list or as alternate the 7mm-08. Either works.

Comment

Originally posted by K. Lane View Post
                                I agree with this but would add the .257 weatherby mag. I have a hard time deciding which rifle to hunt with between my .257 wby and my .264 win mag
                                Hard to beat the .25-06. Have heard a lot of good things on the .257 Wby, would love to have one, a really suped-up .25-06. You don't hear about the 6 mm much but is an excellent round.

Comment

Working...
                                X