No announcement yet.

what caliber to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd vote for the 7-08 as well. Great caliber and easy shooting. But, like someone else above mentioned, you've got enough deer rifles, get something cool. I love shooting my 375 H&H. Shoots like a 12 ga dove loads and in my experience does less damage than a 7mm or 300 win mag would to a deer.

Comment

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post
      7mm-08 would be a great addition especially if you are primarily hunting from box blinds. It's a short action round and it performs well with shorter barrels (18-20") so it handles really well in box blinds.
      good to know. Any suggestions on good manufactures? I am mostly a Remington guy but don't mind changing it up at all.

Comment

As said above, I would go with 7mm08, 6.5 CM or 25-06.

All three will get the job done, have manageable recoil, and you will be able to easily find ammo. Although, it is my experience that it is easier to find a larger selection 6.5 CM ammo at most stores.

I have the 7mm08 and 6.5 CM and I hunt in the hill country. The deer I have shot with both have not noticed a difference in which caliber I was using. I want to get a 25-06 but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

If I had to choose from all three choices, I would probably go with the 7mm08, closely followed by the 6.5 CM.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
          I'd vote for the 7-08 as well. Great caliber and easy shooting. But, like someone else above mentioned, you've got enough deer rifles, get something cool. I love shooting my 375 H&H. Shoots like a 12 ga dove loads and in my experience does less damage than a 7mm or 300 win mag would to a deer.
          I have wanted either a 300 win mag or 338 win mag for a couple years, but I would like to have a big game hunt in my near future before purchasing one of these big boys.

Comment

25-06 all day and twice on Sunday.

Comment

Seems to me that you pretty much have the bases covered. The only "holes" I see are maybe a .243 or a 30-30. I'm pretty nostalgic and just seem to gravitate to the Marlin 336 that I bought when I was 16.

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
                good to know. Any suggestions on good manufactures? I am mostly a Remington guy but don't mind changing it up at all.
                Not sure what your budget is, but I think it is hard to beat Tikka for an affordable off the shelf rifle. My dad and I have a few of their rifles and they are all great shooters. Plenty of great options out there to fit any budget.

Comment

25-06
                  7mm-08
                  264 win mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Current list reads like the most generic cals for Texas so add a .308 to complete it

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                        25-06
                        7mm-08
                        264 win mag

do I live under a rock??? 264 win mag.....I am not familiar nor have I heard of this said caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by forced-2-work View Post
                          do I live under a rock??? 264 win mag.....I am not familiar nor have I heard of this said caliber.

Must be a big rock.

Comment

Must be a big rock.

.260 Remington is a good short action choice too.

Comment

25-06 would be my pick

Comment

Must be a big rock.

very big apparently. that's why i post on the GS

Comment

Working...
                                X