No announcement yet.

Undersized buck dumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are leaving the head at a taxidermist for mounting and taking the meat home then this is the legal way to do it:

Fill out a wildlife resource document (located in the outdoor annual), and attach to the head of the deer. I always get a receipt from the taxi as well.
    Keep the tag with the meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
      I've always wondered why so many people get tickets by the GW...

After reading this thread I know why.... :facepalm:

People, READ the Outdoor Annual... They're FREE when you buy a hunting license! That is "if" you even buy one....

Proof of sex not required for a buck? BS!

I feel sorry for others and kids that "learn" from the nonsense posted here.... Y'all know just as well as I do that kids today DO NOT do any kind of research. They see or hear something, make a knee jerk reaction and take it as the Gospel.

"but Mr. Game Warden, the guy on TBH said I don't have to show proof of sex for a buck."

"I'm sorry little Johnny, but you were misinformed. Sign here, your court date is listed on the citation."

Educate yourself before you "try" to educate someone else...
      I gave up being surprised at folks that don't know the most simple game laws. The other one that I've seen on here a few times over the years is the guy that didn't know he was supposed to notch or cut out the day and month on his deer tag and instead just colors it in or shades it. Then they come on TBH complaining about getting a ticket. We're talking about the most very basic game laws here and folks don't take the time to understand them and even worse, they pass this bad information on to others. Not intending to dog pile on the OP, but maybe this helps prevent somebody from getting a ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Honcho View Post
        If you hunt in Texas, you are flat our wrong on this. AR county or not, proof of sex is required. From TPWD:

Deer or Pronghorn Antelope
        Notice: It is unlawful to possess a deer or pronghorn antelope with proof of sex removed unless the deer or antelope is at a final destination and has been quartered. Proof of sex includes one of the following:

* the head (skinned or unskinned) of a buck deer with antlers attached;
        * the head (skinned or unskinned) of an antlerless deer;
        * the unskinned head of a pronghorn; or
        * a completed Managed Lands Deer Program (MLDP) Tag, Antlerless Mule Deer Permit, CWD Check Station Receipt, or TPWD Drawn Hunt Legal Deer Tag.

It is unlawful to remove the head or antlers (proof of sex) of deer or pronghorn at a commercial processor until the carcass has been quartered and entered into the cold storage logbook.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/o...s/proof-of-sex

Yes, I'm OCD and usually go overboard just to CMA... this is what I do...

1. Shoot a deer, tag it (log filled out and everything)

2. Transport it to camp

3. Gut it and let it hang in the walk in cooler (tag still attached to the head)

4. The day before I leave to come home, I'll skin and quarter the deer. (Remember, the TAG stays with the MEAT, the HEAD is proof of sex.)

5. After it's quartered, I remove the tag from the head and place the tag in a ziplock bag along with a rock (to keep the bag from getting blown around by the wind) and place that inside the cooler with the meat.

6. Fill out a WRD (Wildlife Resource Document), place that inside a ziplock bag and attach it to the deer's head

7. Drop off meat to the processor with the tag, the proof of sex has a WRD so no extra paperwork to fill out at the processor.

I've asked our local GW about doing it this way and he said he has never seen anyone go thru all the steps to 100% be legal. He also said he would not write a citation to someone that left their tag on the head and had the meat in the cooler.

Y'all remember, game laws are open to interpretation by the GW and your "intent" is open to interpretation by the GW.... If you've experienced a hard-*** GW in your past that will run you thru the wringer, you'll learn to CYA.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          There ya go. Hart8, Not trying to pick on ya, just don't want ya getting in trouble
          Lol! No sweat A.C.,thanks for the heads up.I've killed 5 doe a year several times over the years.When I used my buck tags on doe's,I never saved the head,or lady parts.My practice just changed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't brought home a head in years. I copied this from the annual. I always just get a signed note from the landowner.

Exception to Proof of Sex
            Instead of proof of sex, the hunter may obtain a receipt from a taxidermist or a signed statement from the landowner or the landowner’s agent containing the following information:

Name of person who killed the wildlife resource;
            Date the wildlife resource was killed; and
            One of the following, as applicable: Whether the deer was antlered or antlerless; the sex of the pronghorn; the sex of the turkey and whether a beard was attached; or the sex of the pheasant.

Comment

Originally posted by Raypo View Post
              Lol... funny how the “know it alls” vanish when they’re wrong.
              See #62

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post

No doubt a tag. You can even see wording on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                ahhh yeah I see the wording now

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  ahhh yeah I see the wording now

I’m literally chuckling to myself. Crazy what the eye can see when it wants to believe something lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you kill a deer on a MLD lll lease do you have to have proof of sex or is the MLD tag good enough? I have been keeping the head until final destination.

Comment

Hate game thieves but at least they took the meat (assuming that predators didn’t).

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                        If you kill a deer on a MLD lll lease do you have to have proof of sex or is the MLD tag good enough? I have been keeping the head until final destination.
                        I actually dont skin the deer till I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by Hart8 View Post
                          Lol! No sweat A.C.,thanks for the heads up.I've killed 5 doe a year several times over the years.When I used my buck tags on doe's,I never saved the head,or lady parts.My practice just changed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post

MLD tag is proof of sex

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                              I actually dont skin the deer till I get home.
                              I spend anywhere from one to three weeks at a time at my camp during deer season. That doesn’t work for me.

Comment

I have two places that my son hunts on in two different counties other than the one we live in that are within 45 minutes of my house. I’ll take him and if he shoots one in the afternoon and it’s not hot, he guts it and then we load it in the truck and bring it home to skin and quarter it. I then go dump the remains, and pull the tag off of it to stay with the meat when I take it over to our friend who processes for us. Although I agreee that this is an undersized buck by my standards there is not one shred of evidence that it was shot in an AR county or that anybody did anything wrong. Stephens County actually touches two and is within short driving distance of plenty of non AR counties. The tag is gone, so is the meat. Now I’m not quite the legal scholar that some of you seem to be but I’m pretty sure that’s what the law calls for. I’m not quite sure why so many people are positive that it was poached. But by all means, call in the game warden, the fbi, the national guard. I’m sure they have nothing better to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X