Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just realized something and I’m not too happy....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just realized something and I’m not too happy....

I’m not going to get into the details but i was given a ultimatum at work last year. Either I put in my 2 week notice or get fired. It had nothing to do with performance or my ability. I was told by my boss to put in my 2 week notice so it won’t look bad for future employers but in doing so I forfeit my chance of getting unemployment. It was a stressful moment so I agreed on the 2 week notice thinking I would get another job soon. Well that didn’t workout as planned. Fast forward 6 months later and I got a job offer to work for the sister company that absorbed the old company I worked with before. While speaking with HR I was told I was fired and it might affect my hiring. I explained about the 2 week notice and had a some guys vouch for me so they let me proceed with the on boarding. What gets me is that if I knew I was “fired” I would’ve maybe had a case for unemployment. I applied everywhere, I had to sell my truck, racked up credit card bills, and it pain a strain on my family. I woke up after a dream and it hit me, I felt like I got punched in the gut.

Sounds like a huge miscommunication or the people involved were shady, but it is in the past, just move on, it is all you can do. No use getting worked up over something that you cant do anything about, except learn from it

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
      Sounds like a huge miscommunication or the people involved were shady, but it is in the past, just move on, it is all you can do. No use getting worked up over something that you cant do anything about, except learn from it
      I’m going with the shady part, I emailed and tried to call HR during my final 2 weeks and they never responded to me once. I had issues how it all went down and I wanted clarification. I sent a email about how I felt the ultimatum was unjustified but never got a reply. I’m going to let it go but man it really flattened me out so early in the morning lol.

Comment

If they don't hire you, go to the TWC.

Actually, send a PM to HoytsandMustang. He hasn't visited since 2018, but I'll let him know that you are sending a PM. He works for TWC, unemployment.

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
          I’m going with the shady part, I emailed and tried to call HR during my final 2 weeks and they never responded to me once. I had issues how it all went down and I wanted clarification. I sent a email about how I felt the ultimatum was unjustified but never got a reply. I’m going to let it go but man it really flattened me out so early in the morning lol.

Shady— sorry to hear that. Look out for yourself working for the sister co.

Comment

There are no mistakes, just wrap it up as a life lesson.

Back when I was working in Mexico & it turned loco I told my boss that it wasn't going to work out & he told me not to quit & would figure it out for me. Well, he changed the policy to where sales for mexico had to be a citizen from within due to dangers. So I ended up with a good severance & insisted I file if I didn't find something asap...he told me down the road if I ever do want to quit a job to type out my resignation for proof & request a letter of recommendation if on good terms & that is where I am now. I was just about to go on a new job hunt myself until this nonsense started.

Scott was a good friend & recently passed away at too early an age from a supposed heart attack...I miss him dearly. He too left the company about a year after & He always told me right before we got off the phone that he was going to hire me back some day.

Comment

There have been times in my life where I accepted a lack of a response on something that was important to me. With very poor results.

It led me to not accept a lack of a response on something important to me.

Yes, a person should respond to you, but then how important to them is it? How important to you is it? Be a pain in the butt if you have to. Be the squeaky wheel if you have to. What are they gonna do - fire you?

And I have been 'downsized' out of a job.

It is too bad your boss didn't have a better imagination.

'Corporate restructuring', 'Downsizing' etc or all words that can eliminate the 2 choice ultimatum you were given.

And it could be, it was just shady too!

Comment

Rule #1...the HR department is on the side of the employer, always
                Rule #2...find a lawyer, not necessarily for this but for the future, you always need someone on your side

Comment

never, ever trust anyone in HR.

Comment

They wanted you to quit to cover their 6.
                    They didn't respond because they didn't want it documented or to admit that they gave you an ultimatum. Again, to cover their 6.
                    They wanted it to sound like they were doing you a favor by "letting you quit" rather than firing you.
                    I guarantee you wont find anyone in the company that will admit any of that conversation ever happened. On paper it just looks like you gave 2 weeks and that's that.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                      Human Resource's sole purpose is to protect the employer/Company. If you file a complaint and they look like they are helping you, it is because they believe you might have a case against the company and they will try to head it off before you file a complaint and/or lawsuit. If you believe they are there to help you, you will be greatly surprised and screwed at the same time!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mudbone View Post
                        Human Resource's sole purpose is to protect the employer/Company. If you file a complaint and they look like they are helping you, it is because they believe you might have a case against the company and they will try to head it off before you file a complaint and/or lawsuit. If you believe they are there to help you, you will be greatly surprised and screwed at the same time!!!!!!
                        This is a sad point of view, but probably earned from most of corporate America. However, I would fire everyone in my HR department if they lied or misrepresented our company to our employees. HR creates no revenue, my employees do. Hell, I don't even like HR and I own the companies.

Comment

x1000!

Comment

Yes, unfortunately if/when HR fails to respond to questions, it seems like it is simply not in the best interest of the employer for them to do so.

I've been with the same employer for almost 11 years. First in a kind of crappy union position. Saw an opportunity to move into an excellent union position. Only downside was I'd have to go into a non-union 'trainee' position for 1.5-2 years.

But I was told that I didn't have to resign from the 1st position until I was off trainee status and promoted to the next union position. Cool, a safety net - or so I thought.

After a few months in the Trainee position, HR sends me the form for my signature, resigning from the 1st position. I reply, that I'd be happy too, once off trainee status & back in the union. A few emails back & forth telling me that isn't how it works. I still resist & then nothing.

Flash forward to when trainee status ends & I get the promotion.

So I contact HR & say I'm ready to resign from that 1st position now.

Of course, no response.

There shouldn't be any suspense - you all know why right?

Finally I call them and the HR gal is like 'Oh we signed that form for you, you resigned months ago - all taken care of!'

Good thing I Didn't need the safety net. And a lesson in how HR works.

Comment

110%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X