X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by osochuck View Post
    Jr’s ****** he can’t shoot the domestic sheep, he had a bunch super close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So those goats are still running around out there. They first moved in the year before I quit hunting out there 17 to 18 years ago. Multiple of us talked about cleaning them out. The second year they were out there, there was a lot less vegetation out there.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
      Them things change the game no doubt. With vertical bow I always setup where I can just draw horizontally low under cover by my legs, then raise it up into position slowly. Kinda dangerous and form is obviously whack but that significantly reduced the chances of getting busted drawing.
      We talked about that years ago, a crossbow, would greatly improve your chances out there. Most of the years I was hunting out there, I had an Oneida Arrow Force. It was the worst bow you could hunt that place with. Those hinged limbed almost every shot found something to hit. Usually the ground, which would send the arrow into the ground about 15 to 20 ft. out from where I took the shot from. Then once a small limb caught the upper limb and sent an arrow into orbit, I am sure that arrow came down somewhere out in the lake.

I bought a brand new very short Darton bow, that I took out there twice, then never went back. I had my accident shortly after the last time I went out there.

From the number of deer you are saying have been taken this year alone, it sounds like crossbows are putting a serious dent in the deer population out there.

Comment

Official reply on domestic animals.

Makes sense…but we sure did want some lamb chops…lol

“Amistad National Recreation Area borders many private ranches, some which do contain domestic goats and sheep. It is a possibility that a ranch-owner's livestock can wander into the recreation area, and by extension a hunt area. It is also a possibility that there are feral domestic goats and sheep in and around the recreation area. To avoid any possible damage to a neighboring rancher's livestock, the taking of domesticated livestock is not permitted, as noted by regulation #17 in the 2022-2023 Amistad NRA Hunting Regulations.

Thank you for your interest in Amistad National Recreation Area.”

After archery mammal season is over will be switching to fishing & bow fishing….excited!!!

Comment

Man those things live there 24/7 decimating habitat and driving away native species.

Comment

Originally posted by osochuck View Post
            Official reply on domestic animals.

Makes sense…but we sure did want some lamb chops…lol

“Amistad National Recreation Area borders many private ranches, some which do contain domestic goats and sheep. It is a possibility that a ranch-owner's livestock can wander into the recreation area, and by extension a hunt area. It is also a possibility that there are feral domestic goats and sheep in and around the recreation area. To avoid any possible damage to a neighboring rancher's livestock, the taking of domesticated livestock is not permitted, as noted by regulation #17 in the 2022-2023 Amistad NRA Hunting Regulations.

Thank you for your interest in Amistad National Recreation Area.”

After archery mammal season is over will be switching to fishing & bow fishing….excited!!!

Interesting. I was there a couple of years ago and as we were walking out we saw two game wardens on the side of the road. We specifically asked them if we could shoot those goats and they both said yes. We never shot any for the record, seemed like shooting someones farm animal as they just stood there.

Comment

Looking like we'll be doing our last hunt of the year down there this coming weekend, wife wants to buck hunt while they're rutting so I'm not gonna say no. A buddy of mine went down with a couple friends last weekend, they got a 9 point and a doe in a brand new area none of us have hunted before. He said our normal areas were really crowded and they basically go ran off because there were hunters everywhere they went. I guess it worked out pretty well though. Gotta be flexible down there, once you get married to a certain spot because you put up a stand or built a blind or just out of familiarity or something then it's game over usually.

Comment

Looking like we'll be doing our last hunt of the year down there this coming weekend, wife wants to buck hunt while they're rutting so I'm not gonna say no. A buddy of mine went down with a couple friends last weekend, they got a 9 point and a doe in a brand new area none of us have hunted before. He said our normal areas were really crowded and they basically go ran off because there were hunters everywhere they went. I guess it worked out pretty well though. Gotta be flexible down there, once you get married to a certain spot because you put up a stand or built a blind or just out of familiarity or something then it's game over usually.

Good luck.

I won’t be back for a few weeks, but i will get to hunt weekdays. Will see how it goes. Gonna be practicing my shots from stool and every position i can remember from out there.

And bring that cheater xbow…lol

But i really want them off my compound.

Comment

We killed every year fine with compounds, it can be done. My oldest son's two deer this year were both with my old Bowtech Allegiance I passed down to him. Definitely shoot from a stool/seated position, the less movement the better. I got into the habit of setting up so I could draw with my bow across my lap to full draw while under cover, then slowly raise it up into shooting position. Not exactly following the fundamentals of archery but covering all that motion helps a lot and you're immediately ready to shoot when you raise the bow up.

Comment

We killed every year fine with compounds, it can be done. My oldest son's two deer this year were both with my old Bowtech Allegiance I passed down to him. Definitely shoot from a stool/seated position, the less movement the better. I got into the habit of setting up so I could draw with my bow across my lap to full draw while under cover, then slowly raise it up into shooting position. Not exactly following the fundamentals of archery but covering all that motion helps a lot and you're immediately ready to shoot when you raise the bow up.

I try to keep my bow up vertical and use it as cover as I draw back, keeping it horizontal on my lap is a bit too much motion.

Comment

I get tired holding it up in vertical position. lol

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
                        Interesting. I was there a couple of years ago and as we were walking out we saw two game wardens on the side of the road. We specifically asked them if we could shoot those goats and they both said yes. We never shot any for the record, seemed like shooting someones farm animal as they just stood there.
                        That’s the difference of feds and state logic. We tried chasing them under the bridge to the other side of the rear road, by the next day they were back.

The park Ranger of federal game warden, whatever he was that we talked to years ago, said they were going to try and find the owners of the goats and would let us know about the idea of shooting them after they spent some time looking into the situation. I never heard an answer on the subject. Sounds like they have an answer now.

I am sure years ago someone was using the federal land as free grazing land. Don’t know the current situation. It sounds like the feds have been fed stories of not being able to keep their livestock contained.

I don’t like the idea of shooting live stock, my thoughts were, if I was correct and someone deliberately turn their goats loose on the federal land for free grazing, that would probably stop, if a decent percentage of their goats disappeared. Then their free grazing would not be worth attempting to do so. I was hoping the feds would find the land owner and demand he remove his goats and keep them off of those pieces of land. That obviously is not going to happen.

Comment

Yes, I has done that multiple times myself. Of drawing with the bow horizontal, then sitting up and turning the bow vertical. As long as I was not using the Oneida that worked. Killing deer out there with a bow, is very doable. Multiple times I wished I had a recurve, so I could shoot with the bow leaning over at an angle. But then the limb movement would probably bite me in the rear, like what I used to have happen with the Oneida.

Comment

I get tired holding it up in vertical position. lol

Hunt smarter not harder

Comment

It's probably gonna be more movement pulling it off that holder to the side than lifting it up from horizontal position. I've got two T100's just like that a similar bow holder mounted. Easier, for me anyway, to lay the bow across my lap and lift and draw in one motion. I've always got the release clipped on also which is hard to do in a holder. I'd probably drop my bow trying to get it out of the holder with a deer walking in. Lol
                              Last edited by justletmein; 12-13-2022, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Well we showed up late tonight, snag after snag getting out of town. There's a Blackstone griddle somewhere on 1604. Figured we'd go way off to the back of one of the areas figuring we wouldn't bother anybody coming in late. Didn't see squat, kiddo saw one doe and heard a grunt or something. Looks like the wife setup on top of someone and didn't know it, saw him quietly walk by right at end of legal time. Then while leaving there's another boat picking guys up just down from where we were too. I'm stuck with my dog again so I'm sidelined, just dropping off wife and two kids to hunt this weekend. But we're here and got the fire going so that's the important part! Cheers!
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by justletmein; 12-16-2022, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X