No announcement yet.

Ethanol free gas going bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phase separation is a common problem with ethanol fuels. The more ethanol content the worse the problem can be. All ethanol has water in it and phase separation is when the water migrates out of the alcohol and settles in the bottom of the tank. There it is picked up in concentration by the fuel system and you have big globs of water going directly into the carb bowl or thru the fuel injectors. Neither one like that.
    Pure gas can also go bad and varnish and other stuff can migrate out of solution. Pure gas won't smell like gas anymore. More like paint varnish.

When gas won't pass the sniff test, don't try to run the engine until it's drained and fresh fuel added.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
      Sad day, I went to the lease to start getting my stuff out of there. I'm not re-upping after 6 years, just going another direction. My four wheeler didn't want to run right. I only buy gas at Buc-ees and only ethanol free. I put this gas in it in July or so. Long story short I drained it and put in fresh gas and it's running fine now. I guess I need stabilizer in ethanol free gas too. Anybody else have this happen? Thanks, Kevin.
      could just be a gas seasonality issue. using summer gas in the winter could result in it not starting or running hard due to the cold making it harder to ignite.

Comment

So I run the QuickTrip Ethanol free gas, its not only ethanol free but its 90 octane. I've always been in the habit of adding stabilizer to my fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by Creedmore View Post
          Correct. 1oz per gallon. Works like a charm.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cause they no longer use MTBE in gas it will not last near as long.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
              Stabil is your friend. You don’t even have to buy E free that way!
              This

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                It doesn't absorb water without ethanol. It was only 7 or 8 months old. Before ethanol gas would last for years in can in the garage. I've never had it go bad like that, I could be wrong.
                False. If less than full. It creates its own rain forrest in there.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                  Went to start power washer today. Only use ethanol free in it after replacing carb last year. Ran it dry in October and stored without seafoam etc. Put fresh ethanol free gas in yesterday and nothing. Took the bowl off and varnish/gunk everywhere. Cleaned it and wired out and fired right up. Seafoam next time. Oooof.
                  Still use Sta bil. As you can not run the bowl completely empty by shutting fuel off. It will get close. But not completely empty

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                    Phase separation is a common problem with ethanol fuels. The more ethanol content the worse the problem can be. All ethanol has water in it and phase separation is when the water migrates out of the alcohol and settles in the bottom of the tank. There it is picked up in concentration by the fuel system and you have big globs of water going directly into the carb bowl or thru the fuel injectors. Neither one like that.
                    Pure gas can also go bad and varnish and other stuff can migrate out of solution. Pure gas won't smell like gas anymore. More like paint varnish.

When gas won't pass the sniff test, don't try to run the engine until it's drained and fresh fuel added.
                    Well said. Good explanation.

Comment

Try the pure gas app , to check about whether it’s real or part ethanol
                      The place I just bought from is now displaying all products contain 10% ethanol
                      Or E85 on separate pumps
                      My truck gets really cruddy MPG running on any % ethanol

Comment

It would take 5 pages to explain, but Google Reid Vapor Pressure. I sell fuel and this is a big problem with stored gasoline.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                          It would take 5 pages to explain, but Google Reid Vapor Pressure. I sell fuel and this is a big problem with stored gasoline.
                          So if I fill up my 500 gallon tank with winter blend gas none ethanol, it no good in summer because RVP ?

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                            So if I fill up my 500 gallon tank with winter blend gas none ethanol, it no good in summer because RVP ?
                            I wouldn't say it's not good, but some vehicles and newer atv's won't run on it. And running winter blend in the summer or summer in the winter can cause issues too.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                              I wouldn't say it's not good, but some vehicles and newer atv's won't run on it. And running winter blend in the summer or summer in the winter can cause issues too.
                              Understand, RVP is why we can only fill up to 80% full on our LPG
                              Tanks, I guess

Comment

Working...
                              X