Painting a metal building?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting a metal building?

Looking to repainted the outside of our clinic. It's a metal building and in good shape, we just want to go a different color. Building has been there since mid 80's or so. Can clean/degrease and then just spray it with a good exterior latex, or do I need something special?

Goto sherwin Williams and get the right paint regular latex will peel off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You may have to etch the existing finish to get the new paint to stick. Some people just use vinegar.

Comment

I painted boatcity storage with sherwin-williams multi surface acrylic. Its been 3 years looks and sticks great.
        Don't use oil the sun breaks it down and it peels

Comment

Power wash and use DTM.Direct to metal paint.
          Sherwin Williams product but I'm sure other paint
          company's make similar paint product.

Comment

Originally posted by 4-fletch View Post
            Power wash and use DTM.Direct to metal paint.
            Sherwin Williams product but I'm sure other paint
            company's make similar paint product.
            If it already painted then it wont be DTM..

A good oiled based exterior paint will work and last..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              If it already painted then it wont be DTM..

A good oiled based exterior paint will work and last..
              Bad advise, DO NOT USE AN OIL BASE PAINT. I do this for a living now and sold paint for Sherwin Williams in previous job.

If it was built in the 80’s then the baked finish will most likely be worn enough. The recommendation above is a good one we have used on several jobs. Spray with a good cleaner degreaser and pressure was well to get the chalk off. Then two coats of Sherwin Williams multisurface. Spray first coat very then and allow to dry, then apply a second coat. If you try to get coverage all in one coat you will get sags and runs. Also I would suggest doing this during the summer or at least wait until we have several days with low humidity and higher temps. High end acrylic products last good and have good adhesion but are very intolerant to moisture until they cure, 48hrs

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. Sounds like I'll be headed to Sherwin Williams for the paint. I assume I can get the cleaner/degreaser at Lowes and I already have the power washer.

Comment

As above, Sherwin Williams makes a paint specific for metal siding. Other paints will peel.

Comment

Working...
                  X