No announcement yet.

SoClean users?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you have updates? Are you happy with the CPAP cleaner you purchased, and would you buy it again?

I'm ready to buy a CPAP cleaner and trying to decide which one to get. The 3B Lumin uses safer UV light but can only clean what will fit in the cleaning drawer. This is only the mask and some reservoirs. To clean your hose you have to buy an additional hose cleaner and slowly pass a cleaner through the hose. This looks like a pain to do everyday. However, you can also clean other items that will fit in the drawer, such as toothbrushes, dentures, baby pacifiers, etc.
    The SoClean uses Ozone, which some say isn't as safe. However it will clean the entire CPAP system including the mask, hose, reservoir and machine.

Comment

Don't have the soclean machine. I just wash as recommended and every few days I let the reservoir, mask (unless you have the foam one), and tubing sit in a rinse bath of water and listorine mouth wash for at least 30 minutes. Take it out and quick rinse with water. Leaves a clean smell and seems to help with allergies. If you have a foam type mask just don't soak the foam mask piece.

Comment

I found this info plus some other info on the danger of breathing ozone which is what "activated oxygen" is. I just don't see the benefit vs risk being enough to get me to generate ozone right by my bedside every day!

Are Ozone CPAP Cleaners Safe?
        By Angela Giudice, RPSGT

Are ozone CPAP cleaners safe?

I have been a clinician in the sleep business for a long time. Sometimes I see a product on the market that raises an eyebrow, and sometimes I see a product that raises genuine concern.

Patients with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) run the gamut from healthy and athletic to those faced with other comorbidities such as asthma, COPA, and pulmonary fibrosis.

It is that overlap of the patient population that concerns me most when I see ozone-based CPAP cleaners heavily marketed.

Out in California, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) was sufficiently alarmed to adopt legislation to protect public health. Why? Because ozone is not what other manufacturers advertise it to be (i.e. “activated oxygen”). Rather, ozone is a toxic gas. FDA regulations are pretty clear on this:

Sec. 801.415 Maximum acceptable level of ozone.
        (a) Ozone is a toxic gas with no known useful medical application in specific, adjunctive, or preventive therapy. In order for ozone to be effective as a germicide, it must be present in a concentration far greater than that which can be safely tolerated by man and animals.
        (b) Although undesirable physiological effects on the central nervous system, heart, and vision have been reported, the predominant physiological effect of ozone is primary irritation of the mucous membranes. Inhalation of ozone can cause sufficient irritation to the lungs to result in pulmonary edema. The onset of pulmonary edema is usually delayed for some hours after exposure; thus, symptomatic response is not a reliable warning of exposure to toxic concentrations of ozone. Since olfactory fatigue develops readily, the odor of ozone is not a reliable index of atmospheric ozone concentration. (emphasis added).

The two products I see in the marketplace that rely on ozone for disinfection are SoClean and VirtuClean.

One has a warning not to use the CPAP equipment for several hours. The other has no warning at all for a waiting period.

A safe waiting period is probably several hours.

But, how much ozone is being vented in the room? Is it safe for pets, children and the elderly? Does the product
        label even indicate how much ozone is released?

Probably not.

If a patient wants to use an ozone product, at least some awareness as to the risks needs to be raised to ensure that the product is used safely and as directed.

The worst thing that can happen is that the patient does not wait several hours to use and inhales a full column of ozone in the CPAP hose into their lungs, or the device vents enough ozone to raise the room concentration above 0.05 ppm.

So are ozone CPAP cleaners safe?

If you can smell ozone, you are breathing it.

And that is never a safe thing. September 18, 2018

Because ozone is not what other manufacturers advertise it to be (i.e. “activated oxygen”). Rather, ozone is a toxic gas. FDA regulations are pretty clear on this: ... Inhalation of ozone can cause sufficient irritation to the lungs to result in pulmonary edema. Sep 18, 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          I found this info plus some other info on the danger of breathing ozone which is what "activated oxygen" is. I just don't see the benefit vs risk being enough to get me to generate ozone right by my bedside every day!

By Angela Giudice, RPSGT

I have been a clinician in the sleep business for a long time. Sometimes I see a product on the market that raises an eyebrow, and sometimes I see a product that raises genuine concern.

Patients with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) run the gamut from healthy and athletic to those faced with other comorbidities such as asthma, COPA, and pulmonary fibrosis.

It is that overlap of the patient population that concerns me most when I see ozone-based CPAP cleaners heavily marketed.

Out in California, the California Air Resources Board (CARB) was sufficiently alarmed to adopt legislation to protect public health. Why? Because ozone is not what other manufacturers advertise it to be (i.e. “activated oxygen”). Rather, ozone is a toxic gas. FDA regulations are pretty clear on this:

(a) Ozone is a toxic gas with no known useful medical application in specific, adjunctive, or preventive therapy. In order for ozone to be effective as a germicide, it must be present in a concentration far greater than that which can be safely tolerated by man and animals.
          (b) Although undesirable physiological effects on the central nervous system, heart, and vision have been reported, the predominant physiological effect of ozone is primary irritation of the mucous membranes. Inhalation of ozone can cause sufficient irritation to the lungs to result in pulmonary edema. The onset of pulmonary edema is usually delayed for some hours after exposure; thus, symptomatic response is not a reliable warning of exposure to toxic concentrations of ozone. Since olfactory fatigue develops readily, the odor of ozone is not a reliable index of atmospheric ozone concentration. (emphasis added).

The two products I see in the marketplace that rely on ozone for disinfection are SoClean and VirtuClean.

One has a warning not to use the CPAP equipment for several hours. The other has no warning at all for a waiting period.

But, how much ozone is being vented in the room? Is it safe for pets, children and the elderly? Does the product

Probably not.

If a patient wants to use an ozone product, at least some awareness as to the risks needs to be raised to ensure that the product is used safely and as directed.

The worst thing that can happen is that the patient does not wait several hours to use and inhales a full column of ozone in the CPAP hose into their lungs, or the device vents enough ozone to raise the room concentration above 0.05 ppm.

Because ozone is not what other manufacturers advertise it to be (i.e. “activated oxygen”). Rather, ozone is a toxic gas. FDA regulations are pretty clear on this: ... Inhalation of ozone can cause sufficient irritation to the lungs to result in pulmonary edema. Sep 18, 2018
          You lost me when I read the word California.

Comment

I ordered a SoClean and have been using it for about 4 days. The ozone odor from the cleaning is super strong. I have decided to send it back, it is not worth the health risk to me. I just ordered a 3B Lumin from Amazon that will be here on Monday.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
              I ordered a SoClean and have been using it for about 4 days. The ozone odor from the cleaning is super strong. I have decided to send it back, it is not worth the health risk to me. I just ordered a 3B Lumin from Amazon that will be here on Monday.
              I agree, Keith. I have NEVER cleaned my CPAP mask or tube in many year
              s. Never been sick because of it. I don't advocate this lack of cleaning, but it is ridiculous to think it needs cleaning every day! That is marketing hype!

Comment

I have a Soclean machine and use it daily. I don't like the smell so turn CPAP machine on about 30 minutes before I go to bed.

Comment

Ok

By Angela Giudice, RPSGT

Probably not.

If Commiefornia thinks it’s bad then it should be perfectly fine!
                  I’ve had one and used it for about 4-5 years now, seems to be fine never a problem

Comment

Originally posted by sec View Post
                    If Commiefornia thinks it’s bad then it should be perfectly fine!
                    I’ve had one and used it for about 4-5 years now, seems to be fine never a problem
                    You did not pay attention to the last paragraph that had nothing to do with California. That was quoted from the FDA.

Ozone is bad for you. One should not breath it, but if you want to...go right ahead.
                    Last edited by Burnadell; 10-19-2019, 09:51 PM.

Comment

You did not pay attention to the last paragraph that had nothing to do with California. That was quoted from the FDA.

Ozone is bad for you. One should not breath it, but if you want to...go right ahead.
                      ALL you have to do is FOLLOW instructions.....don't remove the mask from the cleaner until the YELLOW light has gone OFF.....then, when you do (which in my cases is many hours after the yellow light goes off), let the mask sir out for a few minutes and you're good to go......

It never ceases to amaze me how people who have zero personal knowledge or experience about a subject (beyond reading on the internet) think of themselves as an "expert" on a subject.

Comment

ALL you have to do is FOLLOW instructions. Don't remove the mask from the cleaner until the YELLOW light has gone OFF. Then, when you do (which in my cases is many hours after the yellow light goes off, which, btw, is TWO hours post the end of the cleaning sequence), let the mask air out for a few minutes, and you're good to go. There's ZERO ozone smell when I place my mask on my face. it's idiot proof unless you ARE one.

It never ceases to amaze me how people who have zero personal knowledge or experience about a subject (beyond reading on the internet) think of themselves as an "expert" on a subject.
                        Last edited by Slicefixer; 10-19-2019, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Will continue to do just that....

Comment

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
                            ALL you have to do is FOLLOW instructions.....don't remove the mask from the cleaner until the YELLOW light has gone OFF.....then, when you do (which in my cases is many hours after the yellow light goes off), let the mask sir out for a few minutes and you're good to go......

Yep, love mine.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                              I have a Soclean machine and use it daily. I don't like the smell so turn CPAP machine on about 30 minutes before I go to bed.
                              This is what I'm doing. I turn on my CPAP when I get into the shower. Also, the SoClean is set to clean at 10:00am. It runs for 7 minutes then it just sits until I take a shower at about 7:00pm. So far I have had no problems.

Comment

I’ve had mine for a year and a half I guess and wouldn’t be without it. Hand washing is a pain and doesn’t clean the inside of your machine at all. SoClean does. I just bought a new machine as my 15 year old one crapped out, and they sent me a new adapter at no cost.

Comment

Working...
                                X