Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the exact set up you mention in ruger American caliber 6.5 and vortex scope, was hitting 800 yds first time out, I mounted scope and am in no means a pro.

Comment

I have both, the 6.5 has less muzzle jump after the shot

My gun shoots everything from a 120 up to 143 about the same..........1 ragged hole at 100

The pic is 20 shots - 130g Sierra TGK, Hornady brass, H4350

Comment

I also cut the barrel down to 18”

Comment

6.5 Christ'sMissile has no bullet drop. Without a backstop it will continue around the world forever but it will also vaporize any backstop it hits so it's a very dangerous round ;-)

Good thing it cant fit into a 1911 or the entire world would be doomed.

Comment

6.5 shoots flatter, drifts less and quality ammo is easier to find. Easy choice for your needs.

Comment

I like both. Both have been shot by a lot of people so there is gobs of reloading info for both and ammo is plentiful in either cartridge.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the .308 Winchester, in fact, it's my favorite center-fire rifle caliber. For hunting hogs and deer, I doubt I'd ever take a shot more than 200 yds. away unless I was in dire straits. I've never fired a 6.5, but the performance and ballistics appear to be excellent. If I had a need to shoot at something more than 200 yds. away, and especially something dangerous - i.e. humans, I'd be tempted to go with the 6.5, but would probably stay with the .308 as I'm familiar with it and I know it works.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Ive had both and ran a 140 in the 6.5 and 175 in the 308 for all practical purposes they are nearly the same in drop and drift. For targets I give the 6.5 the edge for less recoil and easier to see your hits thru the scope. For hunting I give the edge to the 308 for energy. If you are dialing in MOA or Mils a few either way is not going to make that big of a difference. I used to over complicate my shooting but I have learned to get a gun and shoot it a lot until you know it intimately, then the caliber really doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasWicked1 View Post
                      There is some decent feedback here, however, let's talk about the logistics here.

What scope is going to be on this rifle?

Let's just for grins say you are going to put a Nikon or a Vortex on the .308 Win. and the goal is to reach 1K or 800 even. The total amount of travel within the scope is going to run out of gas before you reach the mark due to the rainbow path required for a .308 to reach that distance. You would need to purchase in addition to the scope, a picatinny base with cant built-in so that that negative amount of travel not used in the scope can be used downrange. Sure the .308 has been around for a long time and it served a role meanwhile, although the ballistic co-efficient or lack thereof has antiquated the round. Don't get me wrong, it's a great battle cartridge and anything inside of 500 yards will have a tragic demise. However, beyond that...you are lobbing out prayers of hope to paint the target because the round becomes transonic.

Where the 6.5 performs on a different level and is more capable of achieving those distances and beyond is a result of improved BCE and velocity.

Human nature dictates a form of evolution, meaning when you have hit one goal or shooting consistently at one distance you will set the bar higher in effort to grow. Like with archery. I'm certain that many shot 20 yards until they improved accuracy and confidence was built and then you began shooting further and further. Now, with many bows...while it may be unethical for some to shoot 100 yards, many bows and hunters are confident in shooting as such as a result of due diligence and practice.

My recommendation would in fact be the Creedmoor. Because I have tested it and enjoy shooting long-range effectively with light recoil.

Hope this helps in your decision making.
                      factory loaded Hornady ELDX doesn't go subsonic until between 1200-1300 yards in a 24" BBL and a Vortex viper 6-24x50 has 65MOA of adjustment.

Half it and subtract the 10% that generally wont be reliable in the adjustments at that puts you at about 29MOA of usable adjustment without the use of a 20MOA rail. That'll get him out to 800 to 900 yards using only dialing and that's without the addition of a inexpensive 20MOA rail. Add a rail and you're good out to about the sound barrier limit with dialing.

That said, yes, the 6.5CM is ballistically superior and is an easier caliber to shoot long range but IMO the 308's are more fun to shoot.
                      If the rifle might pull double duty as a LR/PRS & hunting rig i like the .308 just due to energy and bullet weight.

Comment

6.5 all day

Comment

Look down the front of your shorts. If you see a pair of testicles......308 is your caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                            Ive had both and ran a 140 in the 6.5 and 175 in the 308 for all practical purposes they are nearly the same in drop and drift. For targets I give the 6.5 the edge for less recoil and easier to see your hits thru the scope. For hunting I give the edge to the 308 for energy. If you are dialing in MOA or Mils a few either way is not going to make that big of a difference. I used to over complicate my shooting but I have learned to get a gun and shoot it a lot until you know it intimately, then the caliber really doesn't matter.
                            Define "all practical purposes" because they are not that close.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

6.5 no question...

Go look up Stick1s post a while back about the creedmore just flat getting it done

Comment

Originally posted by crash8005 View Post
                                Define "all practical purposes" because they are not that close.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                                If you you are shooting out to 800 or so and gauging your wind and turning your knobs, then a couple of more or less MOA is no big deal. A fun shoot more or less. If you are shooting a match at unknown distance and having to call the wind then that is a whole nother thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X