No announcement yet.

Best socks for cold weather hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best brand I've found is Fits. The guys at Schnees referred them to me at DSC.

Comment

Thin moisture wicking sock first then a toe warmer then a merino wool sock.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerdown View Post
          Thin moisture wicking sock first then a toe warmer then a merino wool sock.
          Silk,Poly or bamboo under socks, Marino, alpaca wool
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-21-2022, 09:11 PM.

Comment

It’s not the sock it’s the boots you wear just my 2 cents

Comment

I have been wearing Alpaca socks the last two seasons. They are the warmest socks I have found. I have sat in in treestans in teens and single digit wind chill with a single pair of these with either Dry Shod rubber boots or Danner Elk Hunter leather boots. I have Artic Shield boot covers. They are a pain to get over size 11 rubber boots and especially treestand hunting. I have used them once in about 10 years and that was at the Hagerman Segment C ice hunt in 2013.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                I don’t think so . Most of them I have only wore one or two times . Most all have the hole in the same place
                Might want to trim your pole climbers.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                  For some reason I keep getting holes in all my wool socks . I have like 8 pair and and almost all of them have holes now . Some are only used one or two times .
                  Try some darn tough brand socks, lifetime warranty
                  Bombas wool is same warranty
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-21-2022, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puggy625 View Post
                    Might want to trim your pole climbers.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
                    Frito toes help you get high like squirrel. 2 pairs of socks

Comment

Foot warmth is all about circulation. If you feet are compressed the blood doesn’t flow and you get cold.

Comfortable fitting neoprene/rubber boots with good thinsulate rating should be plenty in any weather. But if you cram six layers of tight socks in tight boots you are setting yourself up to be very uncomfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by BRust View Post
                        It’s not the sock it’s the boots you wear just my 2 cents
                        Yep. And the layers on your body/legs. And not having anything so tight that it cuts off circulation. But merino wool socks are still better than synthetics or cotton. The whole system is key.

Keep your core warm, and your blood will be warm. Keep layers loose and comfortable. Don't bundle up so much and so tight that your extremities don't get good blood flow. Wear leather (NOT rubber) boots with breathable liners (Gore-tex) to minimize trapped moisture inside the boot. Don't over insulate your boots or feet either. That'll just make them sweat, and then they'll get cold from the moisture. Keep your feet dry. Do all that, and your feet will stay nice and warm.

Comment

All good points. Before I started buying better socks I would just wear a pair of thin dress socks and the thickest socks I had over that, usually a generic brand of “insulated” socks. I also have an inexpensive pair of thinsulated rubber boots that are half a size bigger. Not something I’d want to go hiking in but work good for a short walk and a long sit. If your in a box stand, take your boots off, you’ll be surprised at how much more circulation you’ll get.

Comment

Right size boots have a lot to do with it

Thick socks and squeezed into normal size boots will decrease circulation and lead to toes freezing

Comment

It wad 17 this morning here in Iowa at 5:30. I have on one pair of Alpaca socks and Dry Shod densoprene boots. I am in my tree saddle. My feet feel fine.

Just checked. It's 20 now.[emoji106]

Live real world stuff. Happening as you read it.[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X