Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Second bow kill still a bad blood trail.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second bow kill still a bad blood trail.....

Ok so I have taken two does with archery equipment same broadhead type and brand both had little to no blood trails what are your thoughts. I used schwacker two blade 100 gr 2 in cut for both deer o e from my compound one from my crossbow both did as advertised small hole in 2 in cut out. One was from 12 ft up a tree the one tonight was ground level. Both deer made it 100 to 150 yds and crashed. Thoughts? Where the arrow entered on tonight's doe is in pic
    Attached Files

I can’t tell very well exactly where that shot placement would be but I know I’ve shot a couple deer and the entry and exit were kinda high and there wasn’t much blood. Like the cavity filled up but not enough to spill out. Not sure man, sorry for no help.

Comment

A lot to do with kinetic energy imo. Are your arrows pretty light? About four years ago I went from a 8 to 11 gpi arrow with a nice outsert to increase FOC and the difference was unreal. Same bow, poundage, broadhead etc. yes a fast arrow will zip through a whitetail deer but if there’s no KE wont not cause the hemorrhage that leaves blood trails. I relate it to poking a hole in lung vs blowing a hole through the lungs. Both are gonna die. One a lot quicker and graphically than the other. GL ��

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
        I can’t tell very well exactly where that shot placement would be but I know I’ve shot a couple deer and the entry and exit were kinda high and there wasn’t much blood. Like the cavity filled up but not enough to spill out. Not sure man, sorry for no help.
        Shot was right in the triangle of the shoulder almost dead center slight quarter towards me both lungs full of blood, blood coming from nose/mouth blood all down both sides of the deer. Yet specks of blood for the trail. Where she did the death wobble there was blood everywhere looked like what I would have expected with the shot placement

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
          A lot to do with kinetic energy imo. Are your arrows pretty light? About four years ago I went from a 8 to 11 gpi arrow with a nice outsert to increase FOC and the difference was unreal. Same bow, poundage, broadhead etc. yes a fast arrow will zip through a whitetail deer but if there’s no KE wont not cause the hemorrhage that leaves blood trails. I relate it to poking a hole in lung vs blowing a hole through the lungs. Both are gonna die. One a lot quicker and graphically than the other. GL ��
          not sure both bows I had were used and already set up from previous owner I figured they shoot great why change it . The part that is throwing me off is o only get bad blood on deer. Have no issues with pigs bleeding

Comment

Not trying to start a broadhead debate this is just my opinion. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Shwackers they are a proven broadhead. My opinion is- you only have 1 2 inch gash really for blood to come out of- With shots to the deadly V you have shoulder muscle covering that gash in the ribs. Blood would really only come out when the holes in the shoulder and ribs align which as a deer is running is not very much time. Combine that with the fact the hole in the shoulder itself being only one linear cut seals over pretty easy as those muscles tighten- lastly, if the exit is any higher than bottom 3rd. That’s lots of cavity that has to fill up first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I shoot Shwackers myself, 125gr. Shoot them about 5 inches further back and Stevie Wonder will be able to follow the blood trail.. They are lethal and tuff.

Comment

Originally posted by shwacker1911 View Post
                both did as advertised small hole in 2 in cut out.
                I thought these MH's open upon impact.
                So, shouldn't there be a 2" cut going in as well?

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                  I thought these MH's open upon impact.
                  So, shouldn't there be a 2" cut going in as well?
                  Mechanical broadheads are not all the same. Swackers don’t open until the blades enter the hide

Comment

Originally posted by huntindude View Post
                    Not trying to start a broadhead debate this is just my opinion. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Shwackers they are a proven broadhead. My opinion is- you only have 1 2 inch gash really for blood to come out of- With shots to the deadly V you have shoulder muscle covering that gash in the ribs. Blood would really only come out when the holes in the shoulder and ribs align which as a deer is running is not very much time. Combine that with the fact the hole in the shoulder itself being only one linear cut seals over pretty easy as those muscles tighten- lastly, if the exit is any higher than bottom 3rd. That’s lots of cavity that has to fill up first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    This. Plus it also seems to me that it’s harder to spot blood when the ground is really dry.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK View Post
                      Mechanical broadheads are not all the same. Swackers don’t open until the blades enter the hide
                      That is not always the truth... On a broadside shot the entry will be smaller but on a quartering shot the entry can be huge, 3"-4" long.. Been there, done it.

Comment

In my opinion you are shooting too far forward. Shoot a few inches further back I think your set up is fine. Shooting further back you will direct hit heart/lungs and see a pass through and (2) 2" holes the paint the landscape with. Congrats on the deer!

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post

KE effects penetration, it has no effect on hemorrhage.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                            KE effects penetration, it has no effect on hemorrhage.
                            Tis true

Comment

Originally posted by shwacker1911 View Post
                              Shot was right in the triangle of the shoulder almost dead center slight quarter towards me both lungs full of blood, blood coming from nose/mouth blood all down both sides of the deer. Yet specks of blood for the trail. Where she did the death wobble there was blood everywhere looked like what I would have expected with the shot placement
                              sounds like the chest cavity is needing to fill up before much blood is draining out. If elevated one hole is higher than the other
                              ground level the holes are typically fairly even.

Comment

Working...
                              X