Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausage making help please

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    For this trial run you are fine with your plan. I’m sure it’s gonna be eaten quickly.

When you do your next batch I’d suggest cold smoking it. You don’t need heat as much as you need smoke to flavor the sausage. Once it’s packaged and frozen it’s still fresh sausage and ready to be fully cooked when you’re gonna eat it.

Smoking it to 160 fully cooks it now, and your basically reheating leftover when to go to cook it next time.

Make sure you’ve added cure to your sausage. Especially the cold smoke.

Thanks.

I did add cure to this batch.
    Last edited by BowSlayer; 01-29-2020, 09:17 PM.

Comment

If you have a good sealer there is nothing wrong with cooking it up to temp.
      I have sausage that is a year old that tastes as good as the day it was made.
      If I decide I want some sausage for lunch the next day, I pull it from the freezer and put it in the fridge. Pop it in the microwave the next day for 45 seconds and I am eating smoked sausage.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
        I did a little trial run today with 10 pounds. It turned out pretty good but I learned a few things for sure. I fried a patty up and really liked the taste but should have used a finer grind plate. It was too coarse for sausage really. Anyway, going to fire up the smoker tomorrow and see what happens.

Looks dang good!

Comment

Good day for smoking sausage

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Good day for smoking sausage

Yes sir!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I’m going to give it a shot as soon as my high temp cheese is delivered.

Not much I can say since everyone has said what you need to know.

The first time I made sausage I made a list of what I needed and step by step what I needed to do and used it as a guide to make sure I didn't forget anything and measured everything correctly.... Don't be
              discouraged if your sausage is not what you expected.

Post pics

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                Not much I can say since everyone has said what you need to know.

The first time I made sausage I made a list of what I needed and step by step what I needed to do and used it as a guide to make sure I didn't forget anything and measured everything correctly.... Don't be
                discouraged if your sausage is not what you expected.

Post pics

And no cell phones allowed while working!..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  This part is critical.

I'd recommend having a lock-box. Phones in. Get to work. Booty calls later.

Comment

I almost had a catastrophic failure. I was in my office "working" and watching my wireless thermometer and noticed the temperature of the sausage climbing faster than I expected. So I went outside and checked and the smoker had flamed up. Luckily I caught it before anything was hurt. Took everything out and cleaned it up and started over. I had smoked some Aoudad and didn't change the foil under the rack and the drippings had flamed up.

Comment

I use wild hog meat and deer fresh from this season. 75/25 mix. Always comes out great.

Comment

Originally posted by creedmore View Post
                        this part is critical.

I'd recommend having a lock-box. Phones in. Get to work. Booty calls later. :d

lmao!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          Originally posted by Creedmore View Post
                          This part is critical.
                          I'd recommend having a lock-box. Phones in. Get to work. Booty calls later.

where's the middle finger smiley when you need one?

Comment

I had smoked some Aoudad and didn't change the foil under the rack and the drippings had flamed up.
                            let us know how that turned out...

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                              let us know how that turned out...

Smoked it low and slow for 8 hours then finished it in the oven for about 2 hours. Took it out, tasted it, threw it in the dumpster still steaming. Never again.

Comment

Smoked it low and slow for 8 hours then finished it in the oven for about 2 hours. Took it out, tasted it, threw it in the dumpster still steaming. Never again.

lol

Comment

Working...
                                X