No announcement yet.

Sausage making help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there are any processors or butcher shops near you, see if you can get a case of boneless picnics when they make their next order. Use those and trim off some of the fat caps so it’s not overly greasy, you want about an 80/20 blend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Several years ago I started trimming the fat off Boston butts and throwing it away. Started using fatback for the fat content in most varieties of sausage we make

And I disagree with using cheap meat for sausage. All the red meat and pork I use is basically steak and roast quality, no filler scraps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
        Several years ago I started trimming the fat off Boston butts and throwing it away.

I actually trim the butt fatcaps off for my BBQ/pulled pork throughout the year and vacuum seal it to throw in the sausage pile at the end of the year. I was surprised how it adds up.

Comment

I'm only a few miles away from you. I've been makinging sausage for almost 20 years. I'm still no expert, but I'm also not too bad at it. Let me know if I can help.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
            I'm only a few miles away from you. I've been makinging sausage for almost 20 years. I'm still no expert, but I'm also not too bad at it. Let me know if I can help.

Well come over and demonstrate a few batches while I watch. I’m a slow learner though.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
              Well come over and demonstrate a few batches while I watch. I’m a slow learner though.
              PM your number, if I don't have anything going on I'd be glad to. What are you planning to use as seasoning? I typically use Reo old fashion sausage mix from Brookshire Bros. It does 50# batches, but you can do the math to break it down into smaller batches. I use the hog casing from Brookshires also. Gotta soak them for a little while, then flush them with water. I spray cooking oil on the stuffing horn to make it easier to load the casings.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                PM your number, if I don't have anything going on I'd be glad to. What are you planning to use as seasoning? I typically use Reo old fashion sausage mix from Brookshire Bros. It does 50# batches, but you can do the math to break it down into smaller batches. I use the hog casing from Brookshires also. Gotta soak them for a little while, then flush them with water. I spray cooking oil on the stuffing horn to make it easier to load the casings.

Thanks but I was kidding. I didn’t know brookshires has casings. I couldn’t find them. I’m going to use a recipe I found on this site.

Comment

Thanks but I was kidding. I didn’t know brookshires has casings. I couldn’t find them. I’m going to use a recipe I found on this site.
                  Ask the guys in the meat department, if you can't find the casings. They used to be in the frozen food isle, but now they're with the sausage seasonings. I've never done it the way you are. I typically debone deer, or wild hogs. Then I buy pork or beef trimmings from the grocery store so I can get the lean meat to fat ratio the way I want it. If you don't have enough fat, the sausage won't stick together well when you pan fry it. Not sure what it does as links, if you don't have enough fat.

Comment

I did a little trial run today with 10 pounds. It turned out pretty good but I learned a few things for sure. I fried a patty up and really liked the taste but should have used a finer grind plate. It was too coarse for sausage really. Anyway, going to fire up the smoker tomorrow and see what happens.

Comment

I did a little trial run today with 10 pounds. It turned out pretty good but I learned a few things for sure. I fried a patty up and really liked the taste but should have used a finer grind plate. It was too coarse for sausage really. Anyway, going to fire up the smoker tomorrow and see what happens.

It’s whatever you prefer, I like the bite from a coarse grind, the finer grind makes it mushy to me.

Comment

Looks good. Are you cold smoking it or fully cooked?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          Looks good. Are you cold smoking it or fully cooked?

Good question. Please advise. Lol

Was planning to just put it on low and slow until it hit close to 160 degrees. I don’t know what I’m doing so if that’s not good please point me the right direction.

Comment

Links and grind texture looks good to me.... You don't want it too fine or you might as well just buy Eckrich Farms or Earl Campbells.

"just say no to hotdog sausage."

We use a 7mm once and then stuff. I know folks that stuff after a 10mm plate grind.

Comment

Good question. Please advise. Lol

Was planning to just put it on low and slow until it hit close to 160 degrees. I don’t know what I’m doing so if that’s not good please point me the right direction.

For this trial run you are fine with your plan. I’m sure it’s gonna be eaten quickly.

When you do your next batch I’d suggest cold smoking it. You don’t need heat as much as you need smoke to flavor the sausage. Once it’s packaged and frozen it’s still fresh sausage and ready to be fully cooked when you’re gonna eat it.

Smoking it to 160 fully cooks it now, and your basically reheating leftover when to go to cook it next time.

Make sure you’ve added cure to your sausage. Especially the cold smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                Links and grind texture looks good to me.... You don't want it too fine or you might as well just buy Eckrich Farms or Earl Campbells.

"just say no to hotdog sausage."

We use a 7mm once and then stuff. I know folks that stuff after a 10mm plate grind.

My grinder only came with 10mm and 4mm and I stuffed after once through the 10mm. Maybe I should try to buy a 7mm for it.

Comment

Working...
                                X