Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    Yes.... and no. If I buy them
    during the year before I get my deer, I just wait to thaw and cube the day before so I know how much I need. I don’t want to cube up 6 pork butts on a July 4th or Labor Day sale buy and not get a sausage deer. I’d rather have them whole if they end up going on the smoker. Tag soup happens occasionally. [emoji3061]. If I buy the pork after I have my deer already, and my sausage date with the group is later I will cube when I buy it and freeze until our late Jan/early Feb group making date. I prefer to cube first and freeze though so mostly yes. [emoji41]. Same with deer meat. I cube it off the bone until I get my 40-50lbs and freeze. It’s nice to just thaw and go.

If it’s a straight pork make then yes.. it gets cubed immediately and frozen until I make it. ... or of course, used that day if I’m making it that day. Also in our quantities, I use the 2 gallon bags to freeze. Those things are great for the big sausage weights.

Perfect. Thanks

Comment

I buy the Fiesta brand breakfast sausage seasoning. 1 bottle seasons 8 pounds of pork. I buy two pork butts on sale then de-bone cut up in chunks and grind. Mix the seasonings in the ground pork. I then vac seal in 1 pound packages. Makes great breakfast sausage. Cheaper than 3-4 dollar a pound already made.

Comment

I ran to Super1 and got 3 pork butts and 3 sirloin pork roasts for 97 cents/pound. Would have gotten more but the limit was 3.

Comment

Good advice above. Are you making just pan sausage or will you be smoking links?

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
            I ran to Super1 and got 3 pork butts and 3 sirloin pork roasts for 97 cents/pound. Would have gotten more but the limit was 3.
            drop in truck and walk back in.... lol

Pork butts and loins at HEB are $1 til today..

We're doing about 400# Saturday already getting tired...

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              Good advice above. Are you making just pan sausage or will you be smoking links?

I’ll be smoking links.

Comment

I’ll be smoking links.
                Nice good luck to you. If you were closer I’d invite you over to my processing facilities. It’s not as cheap as it use to be many years ago, but it’s still good to know how to make your own.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                  Nice good luck to you. If you were closer I’d invite you over to my processing facilities. It’s not as cheap as it use to be many years ago, but it’s still good to know how to make your own.

If I were closer I’d take you up on that. It’ll be a learning experience for sure.

Comment

I have a Super 1.....will these work being trimmed?

https://www.super1foods.com/shop#/product/346324

That's exactly what you need. You don't need to trim anything.....although if you want a slightly leaner sausage you can just take the fat cap off the back side. We don't trim anything.

Comment

These are my BBQ prep pics but its a good visual of what I mean by taking off the fat cap if you so desire.

Also when making links and using natural casings....make sure you soak your casings for an hour before stuffing. Makes them slide on and off the horn easier and makes the stuffing part go quicker....

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA Prep 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	24605727

Name:	AA Prep 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	24605728

Name:	AA Prep 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	24605729

Comment

These are my BBQ prep pics but its a good visual of what I mean by taking off the fat cap if you so desire.

Also when making links and using natural casings....make sure you soak your casings for an hour before stuffing. Makes them slide on and off the horn easier and makes the stuffing part go quicker....

[ATTACH]989789[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]989790[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]989791[/ATTACH]
                        Awesome, thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                          I buy the Fiesta brand breakfast sausage seasoning. 1 bottle seasons 8 pounds of pork. I buy two pork butts on sale then de-bone cut up in chunks and grind. Mix the seasonings in the ground pork. I then vac seal in 1 pound packages. Makes great breakfast sausage. Cheaper than 3-4 dollar a pound already made.

I find it much easier to season after deboning/cubing than after grinding. Easier to get it mixed evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Comanchehunter View Post
                            I find it much easier to season after deboning/cubing than after grinding. Easier to get it mixed evenly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed....plus seasoning the cubes allows the grinder to help with the mixing process.

Comment

I picked up 2 pork butts yesterday for .99/lb at HEB. Plan is to make more pan sausage since the last batch turned out good. What size p lli are do you guys run your pan sausage through? My little grinder has 3 plates and I used the middle one last time.

Comment

agreed....plus seasoning the cubes allows the grinder to help with the mixing process.
                                That's how we do it too.

Comment

Working...
                                X