Sausage making help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don’t have any wild game but want to try my hand at making sausage. I have all the equipment just need a little guidance. What kind of meat should I buy? Beef and pork? All pork? Cheapest meat ok to grind into sausage?

Cheapest meat you can find. Only problem doing it that way is once you factor in the price of beef and pork it’s cheaper to just buy store bought. Probably cheapest way to do it is with brisket and pork butts. I don’t care for all pork sausage but you can make it with whatever you want.

Comment

Most pork will work as long as it has some fat in it. My go to are boneless pork picnics but I’d say the majority of folks use Boston butt.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
        I don’t have any wild game but want to try my hand at making sausage. I have all the equipment just need a little guidance. What kind of meat should I buy? Beef and pork? All pork? Cheapest meat ok to grind into sausage?

I wait until pork butts go on sale for 79- 99 cents a pound (it happens a lot throughout the year) and use it to mix with venison or duck even. We do 300-400 lbs at a time. It's the best meat to deal with when you take into account quality, price and ease of de-boning.....IMO.
        Last edited by Smart; 01-27-2020, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Since this your first time I would try a small amount of pan sausage to get started
          Grind your pork put in a bowl and add season. I like sage black pepper and a little red pepper. Once you get all mixed up fry a little to see if you need more what every you need to your taste. If you have a vacuum seal put in one lb bags and freeze. Next time you have some vision then add 10 to 15 % pork to vision so its not two dry Good luck

Comment

I’m going to be making about 100lbs of sausage and wieners this weekend. You’re welcome to come practice while I drink beer and make sure you’re doing it right.

I’m a great supervisor.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              I wait until pork butts go on sale for 79- 99 cents a pound (it happens a lot throughout the year) and use it to mix with venison or duck even. We do 300-400 lbs at a time. It's the best meat to deal with when you take into account quality, price and ease of de-boning.....IMO.

Do you debone, cube up the pork butts and freeze them in gallon bags when you buy them, prep them so to speak, or freeze them whole until sausage making time?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
                Do you debone, cube up the pork butts and freeze them in gallon bags when you buy them, prep them so to speak, or freeze them whole until sausage making time?

Yes.... and no. If I buy them
                during the year before I get my deer, I just wait to thaw and cube the day before so I know how much I need. I don’t want to cube up 6 pork butts on a July 4th or Labor Day sale buy and not get a sausage deer. I’d rather have them whole if they end up going on the smoker. Tag soup happens occasionally. [emoji3061]. If I buy the pork after I have my deer already, and my sausage date with the group is later I will cube when I buy it and freeze until our late Jan/early Feb group making date. I prefer to cube first and freeze though so mostly yes. [emoji41]. Same with deer meat. I cube it off the bone until I get my 40-50lbs and freeze. It’s nice to just thaw and go.

If it’s a straight pork make then yes.. it gets cubed immediately and frozen until I make it. ... or of course, used that day if I’m making it that day. Also in our quantities, I use the 2 gallon bags to freeze. Those things are great for the big sausage weights.
                Last edited by Smart; 01-28-2020, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I’m going to give it a shot as soon as my high temp cheese is delivered.

Comment

if you have an albertsons near by they have pork butts for .99 through today. good time to buy some......

Comment

Just get some pork butts. I believe they are on sale at HEB now.

Comment

Sounds like perfect timing^^^

Comment

Originally posted by RSW0913 View Post
                          if you have an albertsons near by they have pork butts for .99 through today. good time to buy some......
                          Thanks. Not sure if there's one in Tyler or not honestly but I'll find out. Nearest HEB is in Carthage which is 45 minute drive.

Edit.... According to Google the Tyler Albertsons is permanently closed.

Comment

I have a Super 1.....will these work being trimmed?

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                              I have a Super 1.....will these work being trimmed?

https://www.super1foods.com/shop#/product/346324
                              Yes, and you may not need to trim very much if you're going to mix it with beef. Look for chuck roast or country style beef ribs on sale to mix with the pork 50/50 by weight. We will hit up Sam's for shoulder roasts to get really lean beef and not trim anything off the pork. We also don't trim the pork if we're mixing with deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X