No announcement yet.

How's it looking after Anthrax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the triangle? Sonora to Del Rio to Ozona? I hunt 2 places in the Sonora area. One is North East of Sonora north of 10 the other is south east of Sonora north of hwy 55. Neither one seems to be effected by anthrax but we aren’t seeing the mature deer we usually see. Also haven’t seen a big rut. Usually the week of and week after Thanksgiving is peak rut and the older deer start showing up but not this year.

Comment

Where about are you Coastal Ducks?

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
        No dead deer, no buzzards, etc.

You wont see buzzards if anthrax.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
          What is the triangle? Sonora to Del Rio to Ozona? I hunt 2 places in the Sonora area. One is North East of Sonora north of 10 the other is south east of Sonora north of hwy 55. Neither one seems to be effected by anthrax but we aren’t seeing the mature deer we usually see. Also haven’t seen a big rut. Usually the week of and week after Thanksgiving is peak rut and the older deer start showing up but not this year.
          Sutton and Crocket counties on the north dipping down to Kinney County forms the basic triangle. However, apparently anthrax doesn't know county lines so that's just an estimation.

From what I've heard, your place northeast of town is likely ok. Southeast is starting to get towards the 'suspect' area.

Up until last year, I hunted a wonderful place between Sonora and Ozona, south of I-10 by a few miles, that got wiped out.

I had to get off the lease cause well, life happens. But, I had been looking forward to following what the guys were killing. Anthrax took care of all of that. Very sad deal. Very devastating stuff.

Comment

We got on a new lease in an anthrax prone area this year. Supposedly our pasture and others around us didn't get hit but we sure aren't seeing many deer. The guy who runs the ranch and our biologist both say there were no signs of anthrax in that immediate area. No dead deer, no buzzards, etc. They also say there has been a couple sightings of a mountain lion right by our pasture recently that may have pushed a bunch of deer out. But I can't see one cat running 75% of the deer off multiple pastures that are all say 1500-2500 acres each.

I put up a feeder in September and have had my camera out since then. Last I was out was 3 weeks ago and I had exactly 1 doe on my camera since Sept. Lots of hogs, some audad but only 1 doe. Several of us hunted 3 days and saw 6-8 deer total, all yearlings and maybe up to 2 year old does and bucks. All very young deer. Other guys who have been on the lease a long time went out the next weekend and saw very few as well. They said normally they would see 10-15 deer per sit and usually 3 or 4 decent bucks. And they saw just a very few as well.

I don't know about the big cat thing but maybe so. We are going to finish out the season and if there is no improvement I am calling BS and moving on. And I sure hate to, great amenities and a real good and very small group of guys. It's been nice except for the lack of deer. We'll be back out this weekend so I guess we'll see if there is any improvement.
            Sorry to break it to you, you've been sold a bill of goods. Go ahead and call BS.

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
              I don't hunt an affected area, but have a buddy in Midland who has a lease just south of Ozona and he said around half the dear there died from it.

Really bad stuff and hitting some areas hard. I just wonder when it becomes something TPWD try to do something about.

J
              Curious question for you. What exactly could anyone do about an anthrax outbreak, that occurs naturally when a lot of conditions are just right, and is fairly unpredictable as far as location?

As I understand it, the anthrax gas is created when certain geographical features coincide with just the right amounts of moisture to create a mold or fungus that releases anthrax gas as it grows or dies.

Planning for something like that to happen, or guarding against it seem nearly impossible to me.

Comment

We got on a new lease in an anthrax prone area this year. Supposedly our pasture and others around us didn't get hit but we sure aren't seeing many deer. The guy who runs the ranch and our biologist both say there were no signs of anthrax in that immediate area. No dead deer, no buzzards, etc. They also say there has been a couple sightings of a mountain lion right by our pasture recently that may have pushed a bunch of deer out. But I can't see one cat running 75% of the deer off multiple pastures that are all say 1500-2500 acres each.

I put up a feeder in September and have had my camera out since then. Last I was out was 3 weeks ago and I had exactly 1 doe on my camera since Sept. Lots of hogs, some audad but only 1 doe. Several of us hunted 3 days and saw 6-8 deer total, all yearlings and maybe up to 2 year old does and bucks. All very young deer. Other guys who have been on the lease a long time went out the next weekend and saw very few as well. They said normally they would see 10-15 deer per sit and usually 3 or 4 decent bucks. And they saw just a very few as well.

I don't know about the big cat thing but maybe so. We are going to finish out the season and if there is no improvement I am calling BS and moving on. And I sure hate to, great amenities and a real good and very small group of guys. It's been nice except for the lack of deer. We'll be back out this weekend so I guess we'll see if there is any improvement.
                I'd be wanting my money back.

Comment

We had 9 years of mgt disappear over a two week period in late July. Sure they’ll come back but now it’s not matter of if we’ll be hit with anthrax again, it’s when. We’re moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by taco1979 View Post
                    Between Sonora and Juno (Hwy 189)
                    I am off 189 towards Juno and we were devastated. Most of that area was hit really hard. I could save you some time and expense and tell you don't waste your time, but grilling a ribeye and sitting by the fire with a drink is always better than being at home.
                    Our plan is to stay and rebuild if we can lease for a reduced price (considering there are no animals left, not many anyway).

Comment

I have only been to our place 1 time since season opened. I hunted a Friday and Saturday and saw a total of 2 deer. 1 yearling doe on the way to the stand one day and 1 yearling 6 point from the stand. This is a stand that I would usually have 20-30 deer in front of me every sit. It's very sad. After I hunted one morning I walked around a little and found some carcasses. I almost shed a tear. The landowner hinted at offering us half price next year but I'm moving on anyway I think. Half price is still too much. It'll be years before that place is right again and that's if it doesn't hit again. Sorry to say I'm out. Lots of good memories with GREAT people there. Preacher Man was one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                        Your NE place of Sonora should be fine. I have heard zero reports of any anthrax in that area. Your SE place is gonna be the one to keep an eye on. Seems like a hot spot is SW of Sonora. That being said although the Anthrax is not having a direct impact on your places yet, a indirect impact could be the reasons for the changes in activity you mentioned. There really isn't a bunch of hard evidence or facts about the anthrax out there at this time so we are all speculating for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by dhmc03 View Post
                          You wont see buzzards if anthrax.
                          We had lots of buzzards on the carcasses in August... I think that was a rumor because I had heard the same thing at one time but saw for myself otherwise.

Comment

Sad to hear. Best of luck to you guys that might be affected.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                              I am off 189 towards Juno and we were devastated. Most of that area was hit really hard. I could save you some time and expense and tell you don't waste your time, but grilling a ribeye and sitting by the fire with a drink is always better than being at home.
                              Our plan is to stay and rebuild if we can lease for a reduced price (considering there are no animals left, not many anyway).
                              Plenty of exotics, half price while we're rebuilding the herd, and already having a very low price per acre will likely keep our group around a bit longer.

With such few mouths to feed I'm guessing the "medicated feed" might actually help against future outbreaks if we can get them to eat it.

Anyone know if this medicated feed works? Antlers Plus with G7 or the vet prescribed stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by taco1979 View Post
                                Plenty of exotics, half price while we're rebuilding the herd, and already having a very low price per acre will likely keep our group around a bit longer.

With such few mouths to feed I'm guessing the "medicated feed" might actually help against future outbreaks if we can get them to eat it.

Anyone know if this medicated feed works? Antlers Plus with G7 or the vet prescribed stuff?

I fed the G7 but it was to late. Feed the CTC prescribed from the vet. It needs to be fed early to get in their system before the outbreak hits. Out of 4 HF ranches all next to each other 1 fed CTC and 3 didn't, the 1 that fed it didn't loose any animals (out of the norm), the other 3 had close to a 90% loss.

Comment

Working...
                                X