Question for the bow shop folks... trying to help a newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for the bow shop folks... trying to help a newbie

I posted this in classifieds and not much info.

My son's friend wants to bowhunt. His drawlength is 25.5 - 26 per archery country in Austin. He is an adult so DL won't change.

I am trying to find a used bow to get him started, but having heck of a time finding one with the DL needed.

Other than the adjustable DL bows, what would y'all suggest and where? I am leery about having bows shipped. He is in the Austin / Leander area.

What’s his budget? That’s what matters most. His draw length can be accommodated for by most bows but having a short draw length will limit him to a small arrow selection if he wants to get enough penetration. Is he capable of drawing 70#?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yeah, he's 29 and 70# is doable. his budget is like any other young family man... low I'm trying for a used bow to minimize a blown experiment. but I think he will stick with it.

Comment

I suggest a 60# bow , too much draw weight for a beginner would be the wrong way to start. I’ve killed tons of animals up to elk size shooting 56#.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
          I suggest a 60# bow , too much draw weight for a beginner would be the wrong way to start. I’ve killed tons of animals up to elk size shooting 56#.
          don't disagree with ya. He's a strong kid, but I have told him I shoot 60# and have been since 1997...easier on the shoulders.

really just trying to find somethingin the 25.5 - 26 " range

Comment

Have you tried archery talk? And with that draw length, dont be afraid to look at womens bow lines. They are the same as mens with the exception of more feminine graphics.

Find a highly rated seller and dont be afraid to have it shipped. The bow was shipped from the factory to the store at one point and who knows what else before you get it.

Comment

I may have something for you….would he be interested in an infinity edge pro? Draw length from 24”-29” and something like 15-70# draw.

Not a fancy bow by Amy stretch but they work

Comment

Most of the more prominent bow brands will have bows that will go that short with a simple mod change. You don’t necessarily need an adjustable bow, unless you aren’t 100% sure on his draw length. I shot a 26” draw for several years using Mathews and Bowtech, along with a few other bows. If you find a used bow reasonably priced, call around and see if any shops have mods for it.

Comment

A Bowtech Assassin SD (short draw) would be great if you could find one on here or Archery Talk from a reputable seller. Mission, Bowtech, Diamond, Elite, Bear, PSE will all have something at his draw length to look at. Even an Elite Ember will max at 60# but have a solid back wall.

Comment

hadn't got on to Archery Talk yet. looked at the Mathews FB groups. Lotta newer stuff for sale, just not keen on having it shipped sight unseen.

Comment

Working...
                    X