East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jershua View Post
    You need to score that mature buck for us please. I want to know gross b/c he is a beautiful buck. Great mass.
    I'm guessing about 125". I'll try to put a tape on him in about an hour

Thanks everyone, I'll still try to do it write up

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome. Let us know the measurements for everything if you don't mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Hayek'sPupil View Post
        Try to find a specific type of oak or oaks that they are preferring. Check near known bedding areas, trails etc for sign that they are around those oaks.
        … and then out fresh batteries in your spotlight cause you will find them eating said acorns between midnight and 0445.

Comment

Nice lookin' buck, EE. Congratulations!!

Comment

Originally posted by aggiehunter3 View Post
            This has been the toughest season for me in many years and in the 13 years we’ve been on the lease, we’ve only killed 1 deer after 11/30. Which means I need to switch up strategies. What are your go to spots/tactics/etc for killing a good late season deer in the ETX?

And 1 step further, I plan on keeping the bow in hand, so to the great hunters of this thread - teach me your ways!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            This is where most people stumble till end of season and most of the time the damage is done.

As a Texan we are all guilty of hunting food source….. only for the large percentage of hunters. A deer is nothing more than a glorified goat. It can eat leaves, bark, beer cans. It can survive on anything. And by now they know food is dangerous cause even if YOU do it right the 10,567 hunters within the surrounding 4 mile radius have destroyed the safe zones and sanctuary… that most never had to begin with.

After November 14thish I go to cover that I set aside for this part of the year. They are in there and you just hunt the edges. DONT go in there if you have a sanctuary. If you don’t have one… honestly… good luck. Last week of season you can start to find them in the places they had velvet usually

Quit hunting feed, they can eat anything. Does are a good option and if you happen to have a pile of them!… hunt where they are!!! But most don’t have them either because they have blown them off the property
            Hunt thickets, crp, creek edges that got vines and saplings and beauty berry thickets

If you can take a knee (deer vision height) and see more than 20 yards… it ain’t thick enough to hold pressure deer in. Not tangle briars they can’t run in, but high stem count saplings and tree tops, blow downs. That mess. Leave the bait at home and key in on those features 1 at a time. Don’t stomp to the center. Start on edge and work in hunt by hunt

Comment

You need to score that mature buck for us please. I want to know gross b/c he is a beautiful buck. Great mass.
              124" with my amateur scoring. I can't break 130" to save my life lol.

Comment

124 gross?

Comment

Mind sharing the measurements?

Comment

124 gross?
                    Yes sir

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                      Yes sir

I used the rope trick. The only measurements I recorded was mass on one side was 14 and 14.25 on the other. 16.75 inside spread. Hes got two tips broke off. So if each one of them broke 10" off each he would be 144" Tomorrow I might put hard numbers on it.

Last edited by ElfEyes; 12-01-2022, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aggiehunter3 View Post
                        This has been the toughest season for me in many years and in the 13 years we’ve been on the lease, we’ve only killed 1 deer after 11/30. Which means I need to switch up strategies. What are your go to spots/tactics/etc for killing a good late season deer in the ETX?

And 1 step further, I plan on keeping the bow in hand, so to the great hunters of this thread - teach me your ways!

I hunt pretty much how Low Fence said. I have an area, roughly 25 acres thats super thick and i hung a stand in a nice spot with good access.

My main place is just shy of 50 acres but i have another 170 across the county road with two large leases nearby. They deer are heavily pressured on the leases, so i leave what little timber i have left alone and don’t enter until this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                          I used the rope trick. The only measurements I recorded was mass on one side was 14 and 14.25 on the other. 16.75 inside spread. Hes got two tips broke off. So if each one of them broke 10" off each he would be 144" Tomorrow I might put hard numbers on it.

Great job!

Comment

Found dog

Anyone between Crockett/Lovelady missing a small Feist or Jack Russel mix dog let me know.

Comment

Went and sat yesterday. Had one doe show up, but pulled cards and had 6 doe back on the protein feeder the night before for a while had over 20 pics of them. No more than 1 picture had been taken each day for the last month. Sometimes 0. So it looks like maybe the acorns may be finally going away

Comment

I’ve been monitoring two feeders via a Tactacam and activity has come to a screeching halt. Two weeks ago I was starting to get a few more coming back around, but right now it is dead, dead, dead.

One of my daily bucks that was a late season target has now gone MIA, and my primary late season buck from earlier in the year has disappeared completely. I don’t think he got killed, at least not on our lease, but I sure hope he shows back up later this month.

Comment

Working...
                                X