East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jershua View Post
    This year has been so challenging. After November 5th, deer sightings have been so limited on our place in Houston County. Not even does. All feeders have piles of gold under them. Even he hand corn I put out on November 5th, is still laying on the ground near a travel route. It is almost like they think the corn is poison and will not even go near hand corn. I assume they are only eating acorns and are totally ignoring all corn areas, even at night. I had to work really hard for a doe over the weekend. I put out sweet feed in a couple spots with no pressure and snuck in there and shot the doe 120 yards out (no stand in this area).

It is really hard hunting this year. 5 lease members on 900 acres and only 2 bucks shot and only 4 does taken all season.

Are you guys seeing this as a terrible year as well?
    Yes

Comment

Originally posted by jershua View Post
      What tactics are possible during a time of hard hunting like this? One could say, well hunt over the acorns. There are 300 trees producing piles of acorns and it just isn't working b/c you don't know where they will be at. The deer have gone totally rogue in day-light.
      Try to find a specific type of oak or oaks that they are preferring. Check near known bedding areas, trails etc for sign that they are around those oaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayek'sPupil View Post
        Try to find a specific type of oak or oaks that they are preferring. Check near known bedding areas, trails etc for sign that they are around those oaks.

We have tons of willow oak along a creek that i have a camera setup on. Last time i was in there (week before Thanksgiving), there were still acorns on trees and the deer really didn’t seem to want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
          We have tons of willow oak along a creek that i have a camera setup on. Last time i was in there (week before Thanksgiving), there were still acorns on trees and the deer really didn’t seem to want them.

This has been the toughest season for me in many years and in the 13 years we’ve been on the lease, we’ve only killed 1 deer after 11/30. Which means I need to switch up strategies. What are your go to spots/tactics/etc for killing a good late season deer in the ETX?

And 1 step further, I plan on keeping the bow in hand, so to the great hunters of this thread - teach me your ways!

Comment

They are hitting scrapes and starting to cruise here again.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aggiehunter3 View Post
              This has been the toughest season for me in many years and in the 13 years we’ve been on the lease, we’ve only killed 1 deer after 11/30. Which means I need to switch up strategies. What are your go to spots/tactics/etc for killing a good late season deer in the ETX?

And 1 step further, I plan on keeping the bow in hand, so to the great hunters of this thread - teach me your ways!

Would be a good time to hunt the in between areas. If more scraping and rutting activity is kicking up in your area over the next week I’d be down wind of a scrape or thicket that does frequent.

Comment

Had 3 doe walk past my feeder in Nac just now. My lease is on fire again

Comment

I'll try to write up a run on sentence later Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221201-092141.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	24700249Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221201-092123.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	24700250

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Great buck Ronnie. Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                      I'll try to write up a run on sentence later [ATTACH]1111220[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1111221[/ATTACH]

Great deer- congrats

Comment

Yup, good looking deer.

Congrats.

J

Comment

East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

I'll try to write up a run on sentence later [ATTACH]1111220[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1111221[/ATTACH]

Stud! Great buck. Look at that head!

Comment

Yes!!! Congrats! Tell us the story. What a buck man

Comment

Helluva deer! The 2nd rut strikes again.

FWIW I ran up to my lease yesterday to top off my feeders and saw about 6 or 7 freshly road-killed bucks on the side of the highway (all missing their heads), so I kinda figured they were getting stupid again.

Comment

You need to score that mature buck for us please. I want to know gross b/c he is a beautiful buck. Great mass.

Comment

Working...
                                X