Nosler BT effective range on deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    I had a couple of bad experiences with BTs in the early 2000’s and swore them off since.

Looks like they may have revamped them a bit. Might have to retry them in a mild caliber like 308 Win with a 168 grain BT.

I actually have some Combined Technology Ballistic Tips I may try in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Same. About 15 years ago I shot a buck with one in a 270 WSM. There was 5 different exit wound . He dropped right there but man what a mess.

Comment

That Nosler BT would perform better at longer range than at short range.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        I had a couple of bad experiences with BTs in the early 2000’s and swore them off since.

Looks like they may have revamped them a bit.
        The earliest ones had jackets that were too thin. They increased the jacket thickness about 20 years ago soon after they were introduced. It’s been nirvana ever since.

Comment

You should have sent it with confidence. Confidence is the key word.
          I've killed a big axis buck at a bit more than that distance with a 7mm08 and a 139gr bullet..

Comment

Don’t put one in a situation it wasn’t intended to be in and you won’t have an issue. I’ve personally killed hundreds of animals with a BT out to 500 yards and the only issue I’ve had was trying to send one way over 3,000 fps out of a 30 caliber and it blew up on impact not once but three times. She did die but she barely needed being caped out. Lesson learned on my part, I did this early on in my reloading days before I really knew what bullet performance was. Once you realize whats in its wheelhouse you can’t go wrong using them IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
              You should have sent it with confidence. Confidence is the key word.
              I've killed a big axis buck at a bit more than that distance with a 7mm08 and a 139gr bullet..
              The confidence had as much to do with not knowing WHERE the bullet would strike at the distance in question as it did with whether or not a BT would be effective. Someone mentioned above about the drop chart on Nosler's website probably factoring for a 24" barrel, which mine is 22", so things like that make a difference.

But I'm going to do my dead level best to find out how much it does drop at that distance, just in case.

Comment

Bullet performance depends on impact velocity.
                My 7-08 load is a 120 BT at 3100fps. I have not had one come apart and a large exit hole is not uncommon.

Put that same bullet in a 7mag and it’s going to turn into shrapnel.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                  Bullet performance depends on impact velocity.
                  My 7-08 load is a 120 BT at 3100fps. I have not had one come apart and a large exit hole is not uncommon.

Put that same bullet in a 7mag and it’s going to turn into shrapnel.
                  Thanks for reminding me that I need to load some 120 grain ballistic tips for my 7mmMag. Love the way those bullets turn in to "shrapnel." They kill deer like they were struck by lightning.

I need to order some more. My supply is getting low.

Comment

Working...
                  X