Texas Deer Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heartland Hunter View Post
    I wish our rifle/ buck season was not as long as it is personally. I think the quality of bucks would really increase and Texas would starting seeing bigger older bucks.

I agree. Our season needs to be a little shorter to help some of these bucks reach maturity. In Oklahoma, gun season doesn't start till November 15. I think that would be a good idea for Texas too.

Comment

Originally posted by murph62 View Post
      Anyone else think our Deer season needs to start about 2 weeks later and run 2 weeks later? Just seems our seasons are running longer.
      You can kill a buck until Jan 15th in Oklahoma. Just seems like we don’t get the good late season hunts like we used too.����
      I'd rather my area (Brazoria County) push forward in to September for two weeks so that I could have half a chance to hunt the rut.

As far as the rest of the state at the places I sometimes get to hunt no I think it is fine.

Hell in Nebraska their season is over but it starts in September and only have I think two weeks for rifle season. Comparing other states to ours for seasons isn't really apples to apples.

Comment

Originally posted by murph62 View Post
        Anyone else think our Deer season needs to start about 2 weeks later and run 2 weeks later? Just seems our seasons are running longer.
        You can kill a buck until Jan 15th in Oklahoma. Just seems like we don’t get the good late season hunts like we used too.����
        Push it back...nope. But I do wish it would start at least two weeks sooner, if not a month sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
          Nope. By January every buck is broken up in most of the state. Maybe hunt the acorns like a lot of folks do. There are always preferred trees for the deer that the acorns are better to their liking. Back it up and some counties won’t even get to hunt in the rut
          I agree.

Comment

yes. i would gladly give up october to be able to hunt january.

Comment

I would like to see the state of Texas go straight archery season. 4 day gun season Thanksgiving weekend, start the bow season in Sept, end it in late Jan….yeah. Oh, and lets end this, cant kill a doe after Thanksgiving garbage. Take the spike tag off and replace it with a doe tag.

Comment

There is no ONE correct answer for the many different areas of Texas. Each area should be managed separately. In regards to deep east Tx where I own land and hunt… season is too long and too liberal. Gotta lay off does.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                  There is no ONE correct answer for the many different areas of Texas. Each area should be managed separately. In regards to deep east Tx where I own land and hunt… season is too long and too liberal. Gotta lay off does.
                  I agree.
                  It seems my population is going down, with all the coyotes now along with doe shooting, we just don’t have a fawn crop.

Comment

Agree with this, but it may just be too exhaustive or expensive to set seasons on a regional or county basis given the states limitations so they approach it with a more or less "one size fits all" kind of strategy. The MLD programs are great IMO because individual ranchers can determine their management needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas452 View Post
                      I agree.
                      It seems my population is going down, with all the coyotes now along with doe shooting, we just don’t have a fawn crop.
                      No one wants to admit it, everyone just wants to shrug their shoulders and point to the acorn crop, or the moon or the mild temps. Sure, these things do matter in Deep East Tx, but the greater issue in some areas of Deep East Tx is a very liberal open season on does that has gone on now for 15 years. It’s catching up to us. Fewer deer means fewer sightings and in years like this where acorns are abundant, guys are going to struggle to see deer… and many guys have struggled this year.

Comment

I just wish it was mandatory that every man who wanted to deer hunt had guaranteed 7 day slot where his work or wife could not interfere with his hunt.
                        I have a lease and deer stand in the back yard and still only hunted 1 full day

Comment

Originally posted by Hayek'sPupil View Post
                          Agree with this, but it may just be too exhaustive or expensive to set seasons on a regional or county basis given the states limitations so they approach it with a more or less "one size fits all" kind of strategy. The MLD programs are great IMO because individual ranchers can determine their management needs.
                          Yup no doubt. Maybe we should expect more from tp&whitetail? I wasn’t thinking this was a real solution, I just wanted to say that there are many many different rights and wrongs on the subject depending on what part of this huge state that you hunt in.

Comment

We're mld but we cut it off mid January enough is enough. Then it's crappie time

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                              you can kill a buck till the end of February in texas But to answer your question no I feel our seasons are fine as they are. I dont really see what acorns have to do with deer season to be honest.
                              This or according to some landowners way too long!!

Comment

No one wants to admit it, everyone just wants to shrug their shoulders and point to the acorn crop, or the moon or the mild temps. Sure, these things do matter in Deep East Tx, but the greater issue in some areas of Deep East Tx is a very liberal open season on does that has gone on now for 15 years. It’s catching up to us. Fewer deer means fewer sightings and in years like this where acorns are abundant, guys are going to struggle to see deer… and many guys have struggled this year.
                                Plus, my ranch has a lot of browse, it can handle a good population of deer.
                                We feed year round also.

Comment

Working...
                                X