No announcement yet.

Shopping for New Bank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always preferred community banks. I use The Mint National Bank in Kingwood, TX and Citizens State Bank in Woodville. When I call the bank, I not only want to talk to a real person, I want to talk to someone that knows who I am and I know who they are. I don't use drive-thrus. I go inside and bank in person. I don't have an ATM card. I carry cash and credit cards. When I run low on cash, I swing by the bank and get some more. I can't stand the impersonal way that most business is done today.

I really would recommend finding a smaller community bank. Introduce yourself to the president of the bank. Invite him to lunch. Interview him as to why you should bank there. Community banks thrive on the relationship side of things. It's the only way they can compete, so they do it well.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
      I've been a banker for 20 years at both very large banks and now a small family owned bank. There is no way I'd bank with one of the mega banks any more. They are a mess with no customer service and are so big you can't get to the right person to get anything done. I don't bank where I work (no one here needs to see my stuff) but I moved all my accounts to a small local bank and the ease of doing things is a million times better than where I banked before (BBVA). I haven't missed a big branch network in the least. Besides a free ATM whats the need to have branches everywhere anyway? I can do everything I need to online and if I have a problem I can call and get an actual person to pick up.
      Makes perfect sense ! We use the bank right here in the greater metropolis of Troup, TX. We never use an ATM, no debit cards, and on a first name basis with the ladies in the drive through. Been over all the midwestern and western states traveling and never needed an ATM yet, carry a few hundred in my pocket, two credit cards, and a 9mm. I figure I can get anything I need with those.

Comment

good luck--call directors/phone trees are my biggest frustration in dealing with companies!!!

Comment

I would second or third Frost. Texas based bank, been in business for well over 150 years with an outstanding customer service record and approach. Also the largest network of ATM’s in the state with partnerships with HEB and Circle K. Their bankers actively participate in all of the communities they serve. Top it off, they man a 24/7 call center in San Antonio they will get answers to your questions. So why not do business with a bank that serves our great state and gives back handsomely.

Comment

Navy army is awesome
            They also give a 3.5% return on your avg monthly balance which is huge compared to most

Comment

I have worked in banking for over 30yrs now and a good community bank is hard to beat. You usually talk to the same employees year after year. The bigger the bank the less customer service matters.

Comment

Can’t recommend TDECU for credit unions. You use to be able to call and speak with people at the bank closest to you, now you call and maybe after 10 minutes of hitting buttons you get ahold of someone in Michigan or wherever they outsourced customer service and all they can do is read off of the banks website home page. In person they’re still good but pain in the butt if you ever need to call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We switched about 5 years ago to RBFCU and have been really happy with them.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    I've always preferred community banks. I use The Mint National Bank in Kingwood, TX and Citizens State Bank in Woodville. When I call the bank, I not only want to talk to a real person, I want to talk to someone that knows who I am and I know who they are. I don't use drive-thrus. I go inside and bank in person. I don't have an ATM card. I carry cash and credit cards. When I run low on cash, I swing by the bank and get some more. I can't stand the impersonal way that most business is done today.

I really would recommend finding a smaller community bank. Introduce yourself to the president of the bank. Invite him to lunch. Interview him as to why you should bank there. Community banks thrive on the relationship side of things. It's the only way they can compete, so they do it well.
                    Same for me, when I call my bank they answer me by name. My rates are not the absolute best but competitive on deposits and loans. For example, I ran out of checks today for an account I don’t use much, called teller and she printed more and I picked them up in 10 minutes at the drive thru and it didn’t require an fbi interrogation to make it happen, boa, wf, chase cannot do that.
                    Last edited by rvd; 11-18-2022, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Total opposite here.

We bank at two very small banks, plus usaa, and Chase.

Hands down, for us Chase wins.

The apps at the small banks are simply weak and underpowered.

I have my two of my banker’s cell numbers from Chase, and can call them right now if I need something. They always answer.

Now…..I don’t use ANY of their debit cards.
                      There is simply no reason to do so, when my Amex is accepted everywhere and doesn’t expose my bank accounts to any outside influence.

Comment

Prosperity Bank

Use to use TDECU but they went down hill. Had quite a few issues with them l.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

We left Wells Fargo for IBC a few years back. For the most part I’m happy with that move. WF was charging fees on a couple of our accounts that irked me. Funny thing was about two years after we left, we received a reimbursement check for those fees.

I’ve had loans through TDECU and RBFCU. We didn’t have a local branch for either one when we switched banks. If we had, I might have considered them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X