F250 gassers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
    If you tow a lot you will regret it! There just isn’t any close comparison ! The diesels are built to pull.
    Had 3 diesels before the EPA ruined them. Dont miss them and haul the same loads with the 7.3. The 7.3 also has a higher tow capacity than the 6.7 so theres that.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      Had 3 diesels before the EPA ruined them. Dont miss them and haul the same loads with the 7.3. The 7.3 also has a higher tow capacity than the 6.7 so theres that.
      Lol- they are dawgs compared to a 6.7! They won’t get out of the way of their Own shadow if needed with a load! But they are awesome going Down hill

I like the 7.3 but if I towed often I would not purchase one after going on three trips in a 1 ton equipped with that motor. They sound great when you have to get on it but they just don’t move. It is what it is!

Comment

If you tow a lot you will regret it! There just isn’t any close comparison ! The diesels are built to SELL !
        Fixed it ! You’re welcome !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          Fixed it ! You’re welcome !
          Lol! I think that people that are exploring this option need to know the truth Especially if they are in a diesel now! Once you’ve made your purchase it’s too late then!

But if they’ve never towed with a diesel they won’t know the difference now will they ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
            No I’m saying for $2000 a year at 60,000 miles the difference in gas cost is negligible. Especially when you’re spending that much on a truck already. I mean I get different strokes for different folks.

That being said a way better argument would be the extra $12,000 for the diesel or whatever it is. The mileage thing just doesn’t make sense.

I could give a rats rear end how other people spend their money. Just saying that mileage argument doesn’t make sense.
            Yeah the mileage savings is negligible for sure, and it’s only been of recent. A year ago a diesel was cheaper to drive mile for mile if you didn’t account fro the upfront expense or repairs.

Comment

If you tow a lot you will regret it! There just isn’t any close comparison ! The diesels are built to pull.
              Thanks for your opinion, but after 11 years of towing with it, I absolutely don’t regret it. I actually tow a lot with my truck and even occasionally use it haul my 14k lb skid steer and brush mower. It does just fine.

As I said, I’ve owned 8 diesels, so you can’t tell me anything about towing with a diesel I don’t know. What I definitely do know is that upkeep has been a lot less on the gas truck than any diesel truck I’ve owned.

My F550 has a v10 in it, and it’s been a problem free truck too.

Comment

I put close to 250k miles on an f250 6.2 gasser and never had an issue with it. Traded in in on a Dodge with the 6.4 Hemi and haven’t had issues with it either. I routinely pull a 3 horse 19’ living quarters trailer with it and it has never missed a beat.

My father in law has a f250 with the 6.2 in it he has 80k on it and he hasn’t had any issues with his either.

Comment

Lol! I think that people that are exploring this option need to know the truth Especially if they are in a diesel now! Once you’ve made your purchase it’s too late then!

But if they’ve never towed with a diesel they won’t know the difference now will they ?
                  I’ve towed plenty with a diesel and now my 7.3, and don’t regret it one bit. I despise driving a stock diesel 90% of the time unloaded a lot more than I do towing with a 7.3 10% of the time lol I can take a nap between the time you press the pedal and wait for the truck to build boost so the dam truck will actually move lol

Comment

I think the gas F250’s are built for people who need power to haul but don’t have to haul as often or as much weight per se. Kind of the middle ground. I know personally I won’t ever max out the towing capacity of a gas F250 but when I have to pull a side by side to Junction I don’t want to get shoved down hill or stomp on it to go up hill at 50mph. Also the slightly larger cab is a huge plus for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I drove a cummins for the past 10 years. In June I went with a 2022 chevrolet with their new 6.6 gas engine. I've got 10,000 miles now and I have no regrets in going this route. Gas is way cheaper than diesel and I can easily get 17 mpg at 70 to 75. It pulls our 8k camper well. It pulls best in 5th gear at about 2000 rpms.
                      Down side is it only has a 6 speed transmission. The 2024's will have the 10 speed allison.
                      I know this is off topic since you asked about a ford. Just giving my 2 cents on a hd gasser in general. With a gas engine I believe that gearing is important so I would pay attention to this if you plan to tow much.

Comment

I have had several diesels and I have no regrets on going with the 7.3. It is different all together but it is not the same gutless gassers of the past. World of difference and fully capable.

Comment

Originally posted by retrieverman View Post
                          Thanks for your opinion, but after 11 years of towing with it, I absolutely don’t regret it. I actually tow a lot with my truck and even occasionally use it haul my 14k lb skid steer and brush mower. It does just fine.

As I said, I’ve owned 8 diesels, so you can’t tell me anything about towing with a diesel I don’t know. What I definitely do know is that upkeep has been a lot less on the gas truck than any diesel truck I’ve owned.

My F550 has a v10 in it, and it’s been a problem free truck too.
                          Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                          I’ve towed plenty with a diesel and now my 7.3, and don’t regret it one bit. I despise driving a stock diesel 90% of the time unloaded a lot more than I do towing with a 7.3 10% of the time lol I can take a nap between the time you press the pedal and wait for the truck to build boost so the dam truck will actually move lol
                          Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                          I have had several diesels and I have no regrets on going with the 7.3. It is different all together but it is not the same gutless gassers of the past. World of difference and fully capable.
                          Yee yee on all 3

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                            I agree with this. The new hd gas engines are way different than the early 2000's. Are they equal to a diesel, no. But they most definitely have their place.

Comment

F250 gassers

Towing capacity is an arbitrary number dreamed up by engineers, and the likes of the DOT…. Ignore that number entirely for the purposes of this discussion.

I have a good friend who we camp and vacation with who bought a 7.3 gas f250 with 3.73 rear end. He had a ~8,000lb TT and the first trip we pulled them to Corpus, and it quit on him with faulty plug wires, and a couple coil packs, and spent nearly a month in Robstown. A few months later it spit the transmission pulling his kubota 75SVL skid steer around town. Several months later it grenaded another transmission, which he had to fight ford to warranty and replace with the newer trans with the better whatever they supposed to solve the problem with. He bought a ~11,000lb 5th wheel and in March we took the campers to the Palo Duro and fought a headwind all the way there, he got mileage in the 5s, and kept it on the floor the whole way in 6th or 7th to run 75-78 or so. In July we took the campers to New Braunfels, and I finally just had to drive off because I was tired of waiting on him to try to climb hills, even coming home with a tail wind. The truck quit on him again 20 miles from home on that trip. In total I think it left he and his family on the side of the road 4 times and had to be towed in, and he had to arrange for the trailer to be towed.

He sold it back to the dealership and went and bought a new diesel, which of course he reports is 10X better to pull with and more comfortable without the engine turning 3,000 all the time.

We towed the campers probably 3000 miles or so together over the last couple years, and that 7.3 is not comparable to a diesel, unless you are content to baby it all the time and drive 65-70. It’s just not.

I own an F550 with the 7.3 gasser, and 4.30 gears, and it has largely been trouble free aside from plug wires and rear seals/brakes, but I can’t really compare it to a regular pickup, pulling wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Dale Moser; 11-14-2022, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                                That’s got to be unloaded in the 7.3!!! You’re just in Denial! You must be talking about a very old diesel waiting for boost!

Comment

Working...
                                X