No announcement yet.

East Texas hunting 2022-‘23 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve seen 8 bucks today, only 1 over 4yoa. Oddly enough he was the only one to stay long and eat corn ignoring the does.

Comment

Sat this morning in Henderson County and watched 4 doe and 2 yearlings. Had 1 buck a small 6 come through. Hasing them around 10. Nothing happened until about 9:30, then I couldn't get out of the stand and almost missed my son's last soccer game.

Now in the stand in Anderson County and nothing yet, brother hunted this morning and said he didn't see anything so we will see

Comment

Nothing for me this morning west of Newton. This afternoon I saw my first group of turkeys in our area, 4 hens. They roosted right behind me. Then ended up seeing a group of 3 doe and a single doe/nubbin couldn't tell. Next weekend is looking like it will be awesome.Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221105_222218927.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	24697092Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20221105_225427053.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	24697093

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
          Gonna settle in next week and hunt this buck hard. He makes periodic daytime visits to one of my bow set ups for a month now but he’s hard to pattern. Swirling winds in the woods is always hard to deal with but I’m either gonna get my opportunity or run him out trying.

First pic I was like man that’s a stud 6. Profile was like whoa when he turned lol. Good luck! Hope you run one through him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So good to see pics of easterns popping up in several different areas of East Tx this fall! Having been part of raising a sizable amount of loot for the turkeys, a few years ago I was plugged into the grim reality of nesting challenges is areas such as the Angelina Forest. I was never sold that all of these areas picked by the experts where birds were restocked were actually the best habitat. After finding out nesting success was mediocre at best, I became a bit jaded on the whole program. I do know Tx along with NWTF picked several places with what was determined to be good habitat and did super stockings. I am assuming some of these may have worked. For it to continue, nests have to be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
              So good to see pics of easterns popping up in several different areas of East Tx this fall! Having been part of raising a sizable amount of loot for the turkeys, a few years ago I was plugged into the grim reality of nesting challenges is areas such as the Angelina Forest. I was never sold that all of these areas picked by the experts where birds were restocked were actually the best habitat. After finding out nesting success was mediocre at best, I became a bit jaded on the whole program. I do know Tx along with NWTF picked several places with what was determined to be good habitat and did super stockings. I am assuming some of these may have worked. For it to continue, nests have to be successful.

What does ideal Turkey habitat look like in east Texas?

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                What does ideal Turkey habitat look like in east Texas?

I am not sure what ideal habitat looks like, but thick Yaupon stands are definately not ideal. Birds evidently do well in areas that have a combination of cover as well as open areas. Prescribed fire, which holds underbrush down are also said to be good habitat.

Comment

Well my son made an awesome post for me but I figured I would do a write up here also since this is the East Texas thread. I been getting excellent daytime pics of a few shooters all at one spot but different times of the day and our property wasn't hunted at all this weekend. I decided Friday because I had to work Saturday, that I was gonna drive up and sit from dusk to dawn to try and make it happen before everyone showed up mid week for 5 days. We only have 3 people hunting this 563 acres but there has been zero traffic there since we left last Sunday. I got up at 230 this morning and packed a cooler with sandwiches and stuff and thermos full of coffee and set out for 2 hr plus drive one way. I got there and hand corned and climbed in the stand at a little past 5am. This deer stepped out at 645am and boy was I happy to see him lol. I figured with my luck he would come out at 5pm and I would be there half the night lol. He was a booger to get into the truck by myself but 2 ratchet straps helped tremendously. Here are some game cam pics of him and after I shot him. It was a blessed day for sure
                  Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations Mike, beautiful deer

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck Terry and send pics!!

Congrats again Mike. Glad you sealed the deal

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                        Well my son made an awesome post for me but I figured I would do a write up here also since this is the East Texas thread. I been getting excellent daytime pics of a few shooters all at one spot but different times of the day and our property wasn't hunted at all this weekend. I decided Friday because I had to work Saturday, that I was gonna drive up and sit from dusk to dawn to try and make it happen before everyone showed up mid week for 5 days. We only have 3 people hunting this 563 acres but there has been zero traffic there since we left last Sunday. I got up at 230 this morning and packed a cooler with sandwiches and stuff and thermos full of coffee and set out for 2 hr plus drive one way. I got there and hand corned and climbed in the stand at a little past 5am. This deer stepped out at 645am and boy was I happy to see him lol. I figured with my luck he would come out at 5pm and I would be there half the night lol. He was a booger to get into the truck by myself but 2 ratchet straps helped tremendously. Here are some game cam pics of him and after I shot him. It was a blessed day for sure

Awesome deer! Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                          Fine specimen there, congrats!

Comment

Pigeon Toed Assassin in the hot seat this evening. Wind is perfect for her lucky stand! So many scrapes in here it’s insane. Lots of thickets and doe cover. Banging horns again to make something move. Main event was here at noon yesterday bowed up on a middle aged buck. No doe in pic but they are cruising here looking for them
                            Attached Files

Comment

Your good planning and dedication really paid off Mike. I’m glad for ya man. He’s gonna look good on the wall and taste good on the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                                Pigeon Toed Assassin in the hot seat this evening. Wind is perfect for her lucky stand! So many scrapes in here it’s insane. Lots of thickets and doe cover. Banging horns again to make something move. Main event was here at noon yesterday bowed up on a middle aged buck. No doe in pic but they are cruising here looking for them
                                Good luck PTA.

Comment

Working...
                                X