Canebreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    They haven't been protected in Texas for a few years. January 2020, I think is when they came off the list.
    All that means is we should be killing more of them until they are back on the list. The challenge is killing all of them before the state figures out what's going on and makes it illegal again.

Comment

Originally posted by byrne361 View Post
      I’ve been going to our place in Edna for 36 years. First one I’ve ever seen, looks like he just had a meal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      We found one several years ago just a ways down the road from Edna at McFadden.

Comment

Thats a good one!

Comment

I'll tell you what really made me start paying attention. I was building a road through my place a few years ago and the people delivering and placing the base material told me the most chilling story about one of their own guys. They were doing a clearing job north of Colmesneil. It was before daylight and the crew arrived for work. Well, one ole boy's coffee kicked in and he had to go find a tree to squat against. Picked the wrong tree, because a big ole Canebrake bit him on either his fun stick or his kid bag, but either way it was a very, very, very bad situation. Now if that won't make you look real good while in the woods, nothing will.
          The rest of the story is his fun stick swelled up to four times its normal size. When he finally got to the ER he showed it to the nurse and said, "What can you give me for this?" She retorted, "My Toyota Corolla, home cooked meals every night and whatever else you want."

Comment

I'm not really scared of snakes, I just don't mess with venomous snakes. I ain't scared of heights, but rats give me the **** heebeejeebee's. That's why I don't kill snakes. They eat rats. Enemy of my enemy is my friend.
            Oh no I'm scared of heights.LOL I'll pick up a rattlesnake any day of the week. Put me on an extension ladder 20 feet in the air and I'll be wanting the fire department there to come help me get down. I used to roof houses and had nightmares frequently.

Rats and mice are disgusting. The only one that ever really freaked me out was a pack rat my brother and I found under a sheet of tin. I shot it with a .22 pistol in the guts and it ran off. Biggest rat I've ever and hope I ever see. There ain't a snake big enough around here to eat one that big. I wanted to dig it out of the hole it went in to prove how big it was. My brother wouldn't help me. If I told you how huge it was you wouldn't believe it. I still can't believe it. When I picked that tin up I screamed and dropped it. My brother thought it was a big snake I saw.

Comment

they're good looking snakes.

Comment

This fatty was spotted west of Kirbyville on 1013.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought I had a picture of me holding one from 5 or so years back but I don't have it. My brother might have it saved. Hopefully he does. If you don't think I'm a dumb butt already just give me a sec. I might be about to prove you wrong.
                  Last edited by okrattler; 10-31-2022, 04:17 PM.

Comment

I'm not really scared of snakes, I just don't mess with venomous snakes. I ain't scared of heights, but rats give me the **** heebeejeebee's. That's why I don't kill snakes. They eat rats. Enemy of my enemy is my friend.
                    Reminds me of a funny story. During rookie school, we had to go through a blackout box with full gear on and your mask was blacked out as well. Small confined crawl space maze. We had a beefed up meathead dude that went through with ease, just too cocky about everything we did. He made it to the end of the maze, held back just short of the exit. He was instructed to remove his mask to find a plastic mouse and snake, the boy **** near tore up the place trying to get away.

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by byrne361 View Post
                      I’ve been going to our place in Edna for 36 years. First one I’ve ever seen, looks like he just had a meal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Edna is not a part of the state I would expect to see a Timber but that is a good one!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        Edna is not a part of the state I would expect to see a Timber but that is a good one!

Same thing I was thinking. Been in the area all my life and have never seen on . Heck haven’t seen a rattler at all at my place . Been there 19 years . Have my fare share of copper heads

Comment

I once killed a DB out by Garden City that looked like that. After the dissection it was discovered he had eaten a juvenile Jack rabbit. Plenty big, but not fully grown. All the hair was off it. No telling how long it had been digesting. I thought about how vulnerable the snake would be while getting the thing down it’s gullet.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                            Same thing I was thinking. Been in the area all my life and have never seen on . Heck haven’t seen a rattler at all at my place . Been there 19 years . Have my fare share of copper heads
                            Did you graduate from Edna?

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                              I once killed a DB out by Garden City that looked like that. After the dissection it was discovered he had eaten a juvenile Jack rabbit. Plenty big, but not fully grown. All the hair was off it. No telling how long it had been digesting. I thought about how vulnerable the snake would be while getting the thing down it’s gullet.

It doesn't take long for a big rattler to swallow a rabbit. We had one in our camphouse that we fed rabbits to. He liked them better if they were alive when we put them in his enclosure (a big tempered glass custom built enclosure with a trap door for feeding/watering, etc.) He'd still eat one if it was fresh dead and still warm tho. He'd always swallow from the head, and once the process was started, a grown cottontail would be gone in a minute or less. This was a 6 foot snake.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                It doesn't take long for a big rattler to swallow a rabbit. We had one in our camphouse that we fed rabbits to. He liked them better if they were alive when we put them in his enclosure (a big tempered glass custom built enclosure with a trap door for feeding/watering, etc.) He'd still eat one if it was fresh dead and still warm tho. He'd always swallow from the head, and once the process was started, a grown cottontail would be gone in a minute or less. This was a 6 foot snake.
                                Wow. I never would’ve thought the process went that quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X