Canebreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    I thought, on average, that they were larger than a Diamondback. I looked it up and just not true. Largest Canebrake is supposedly 74" and longest DB is 96". Seems like every Canebrake I see is big though. Area where our farm is, between Woodville and Colmesneil in East Texas has a healthy population. Sure make you pay attention when walking in the woods where everything on the ground matches a Canebrake's pattern.
    I haven't personally seen a Canebrake much over 4 feet in length but yes the record was 74.5" I believe. Supposedly the longest Eastern Diamondback ever found was said to be 8 feet in length.

Western Diamondbacks are generally 5 to 6 feet in length depending on where you're at. The largest Western Diamondbacks on record were 92" and 92.5" in length. Both were found in Dallas County.

I have no doubt that there are some record Canebrakes in Texas because they were classified as endangered for the longest time. There's gotta be some huge ones down there I would think.

All of the Canebrakes I've handled were very docile,really didn't even rattle unless you pinned their head down. But my buddies had one that was close to 6 foot long that they said was the meanest rattlesnake they'd ever caught. I never did see it but they said it was one that made them nervous to take out of the box they had it in.
    Last edited by okrattler; 10-30-2022, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Would look good on my longbow, nice looking snake.

Comment

I'll tell you what really made me start paying attention. I was building a road through my place a few years ago and the people delivering and placing the base material told me the most chilling story about one of their own guys. They were doing a clearing job north of Colmesneil. It was before daylight and the crew arrived for work. Well, one ole boy's coffee kicked in and he had to go find a tree to squat against. Picked the wrong tree, because a big ole Canebrake bit him on either his fun stick or his kid bag, but either way it was a very, very, very bad situation. Now if that won't make you look real good while in the woods, nothing will.
        I can't imagine how painful that was. When I got bit on the hand it felt like it got smashed with a hammer and set on fire. So I have an idea what it'd be like I suppose. Way worse than getting bit on the hand. Lets put it this way, if there wasn't permanent swelling it wouldn't be worth it.

That's what makes Canebrakes dangerous. They rely on their camouflage more than their attitude to defend themselves. That gets them stepped (and apparently sat on) sometimes. And that's when they bite.

You ever seen those people that handle snakes in church? They primarily handle Timber Rattlesnakes and Copperheads for a reason. One, Timber Rattlesnakes are easy going and will put up with a lot. And two, Copperheads are the least toxic of any venomous snake in North America. If you sent those people a box of Massasaugas or Prairie Rattlesnakes like we have where I live they'd all get bit. It don't matter to them how strong your faith in Jesus is. They'll bite ya and it hurts.
        Last edited by okrattler; 10-30-2022, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Beautiful snake. Still have never seen one in person in all my time out in the woods.

Comment

Glad he didn't get you!

Comment

3rd person in the past year I have heard that has seen or killed a Timber rattler in the Hallettsville area. Obviously they have moved that way.

Comment

Ah........hum, TWHACK!!!!!

Comment

I thought, on average, that they were larger than a Diamondback. I looked it up and just not true. Largest Canebrake is supposedly 74" and longest DB is 96". Seems like every Canebrake I see is big though. Area where our farm is, between Woodville and Colmesneil in East Texas has a healthy population. Sure make you pay attention when walking in the woods where everything on the ground matches a Canebrake's pattern.

I'm here in Warren. I know they are around, but luckily I've only seen them on the highway. We're on 60 acres and I'm sure they're around.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                    I can't imagine how painful that was. When I got bit on the hand it felt like it got smashed with a hammer and set on fire. So I have an idea what it'd be like I suppose. Way worse than getting bit on the hand. Lets put it this way, if there wasn't permanent swelling it wouldn't be worth it.

That's what makes Canebrakes dangerous. They rely on their camouflage more than their attitude to defend themselves. That gets them stepped (and apparently sat on) sometimes. And that's when they bite.

You ever seen those people that handle snakes in church? They primarily handle Timber Rattlesnakes and Copperheads for a reason. One, Timber Rattlesnakes are easy going and will put up with a lot. And two, Copperheads are the least toxic of any venomous snake in North America. If you sent those people a box of Massasaugas or Prairie Rattlesnakes like we have where I live they'd all get bit. It don't matter to them how strong your faith in Jesus is. They'll bite ya and it hurts.
                    There is ZERO chance of me handling any of them. God gave me good sense and I ain't testing Him.

Comment

Dang things will make you hurt yourself. We have a bunch on our place. I give them a pass in the woods but they get killed in the yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I wouldn't say that too loud, they are protected in Texas.

Comment

RIP to that squirrel in her belly! Man what a beautiful specimen of a snake, big girl!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
                          Not anymore...they can be killed legally, but I like seeing people give them a pass. There is a place for them in the ecosystem, and they're a dang pretty snake and almost always docile unless you step right on one or jack with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
                            They haven't been protected in Texas for a few years. January 2020, I think is when they came off the list.

Comment

There is ZERO chance of me handling any of them. God gave me good sense and I ain't testing Him.
                              That's understandable. Everyone has their thing. Heights is my thing. Don't like them, never have.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                                That's understandable. Everyone has their thing. Heights is my thing. Don't like them, never have.
                                I'm not really scared of snakes, I just don't mess with venomous snakes. I ain't scared of heights, but rats give me the **** heebeejeebee's. That's why I don't kill snakes. They eat rats. Enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X