No announcement yet.

Canebreak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome and beautiful snakes. As docile as they come.

They get the pass from me as well.

Comment

Awesome snakes, ive never been fortunate enough to see one in the wild.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
        Where abouts in Edna ? Been here most of my life and never seen one around . Heck I been on my place 21 years and never seen a rattler .

Sent you a DM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty one. One of my favorite snakes of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
            Pretty one. One of my favorite snakes of all time.
            I thought, on average, that they were larger than a Diamondback. I looked it up and just not true. Largest Canebrake is supposedly 74" and longest DB is 96". Seems like every Canebrake I see is big though. Area where our farm is, between Woodville and Colmesneil in East Texas has a healthy population. Sure make you pay attention when walking in the woods where everything on the ground matches a Canebrake's pattern.

Comment

There more massive in diameter; huge snakes. They just don’t get as long as a DB.
              Thank goodness they are not super aggressive

Comment

I was told their primary diet was squirrels, looks like about a squirrel sized lump in it

Have seen a few here, they get a free pass as they never seem to be mad. Cottonmouths and copperheads on the other hand are always mad and they all get beheaded

Comment

I have seen some in Ganado.

Comment

Man I hate snakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                      Where abouts in Edna ? Been here most of my life and never seen one around . Heck I been on my place 21 years and never seen a rattler .
                      I seen one about 6 years ago In Morales.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        I thought, on average, that they were larger than a Diamondback. I looked it up and just not true. Largest Canebrake is supposedly 74" and longest DB is 96". Seems like every Canebrake I see is big though. Area where our farm is, between Woodville and Colmesneil in East Texas has a healthy population. Sure make you pay attention when walking in the woods where everything on the ground matches a Canebrake's pattern.

Yes now I’m wondering how many I pasted by and never seen. I have a pair of snake boots for my wife’s side of the family’s lease in Three River’s but I will be wearing them a whole lot more at our place now. I walked to the bow blind in sandals a few weeks ago never again.

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post
                          I seen one about 6 years ago In Morales.

How big?

Comment

Originally posted by byrne361 View Post
                            Yes now I’m wondering how many I pasted by and never seen. I have a pair of snake boots for my wife’s side of the family’s lease in Three River’s but I will be wearing them a whole lot more at our place now. I walked to the bow blind in sandals a few weeks ago never again.
                            I'll tell you what really made me start paying attention. I was building a road through my place a few years ago and the people delivering and placing the base material told me the most chilling story about one of their own guys. They were doing a clearing job north of Colmesneil. It was before daylight and the crew arrived for work. Well, one ole boy's coffee kicked in and he had to go find a tree to squat against. Picked the wrong tree, because a big ole Canebrake bit him on either his fun stick or his kid bag, but either way it was a very, very, very bad situation. Now if that won't make you look real good while in the woods, nothing will.

Comment

Originally posted by byrne361 View Post
                              How big?

It was about a 3 1/2 to 4 feet. It was laying on a pile of split oak. At that time, I did not think they were in that area of Texas. If driving from Edna - it was about 2 miles past the Morales Store.
                              Last edited by Das71198; 10-30-2022, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                                I'll tell you what really made me start paying attention. I was building a road through my place a few years ago and the people delivering and placing the base material told me the most chilling story about one of their own guys. They were doing a clearing job north of Colmesneil. It was before daylight and the crew arrived for work. Well, one ole boy's coffee kicked in and he had to go find a tree to squat against. Picked the wrong tree, because a big ole Canebrake bit him on either his fun stick or his kid bag, but either way it was a very, very, very bad situation. Now if that won't make you look real good while in the woods, nothing will.

Holy crap that would suck…

Comment

Working...
                                X