PayPal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PayPal

PayPal recently updated their policy so that if a user was caught spreading “misinformation” they could be fined up to $2,500, withdrawn from their PayPal account. Since news broke they have retracted, or plan to retract, said policy.

I use PayPal and Venmo often for many online transactions. Never had any issues with either app. However after this, retraction or not, I immediately deleted both accounts. Who is PayPal to decide what is misinformation, and how are they tracking what it’s users share? To some the answer to those questions may be obvious. Either way, I can not in good faith continue to do business with either of these applications. It will be slightly inconvenient (maybe?) but I feel it is the right thing to do. I hope you will join me and the thousands of people who have quit using their service.

Private companies are not allowed to moderate speech and the simple fact that this was even attempted should be met with a swift, significant loss of revenue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PACE Forum

Comment

Please post political and non-hunting current events to this forum. Personal attacks and disrespect in posting will not be tolerated.

Comment

I too am working on deleting my accounts with PayPal(it is taking a while), and apparently a LOT of other people are too. Their stock is down 6% right now due to this.

Comment

As if their anti-2A stance wasn't enough....

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
            PACE Forum
            America Forum

Comment

it only gets worse .... It was possible to close your account via online settings before. Now, users have to call and they are put on HOLD for a very looooooooong time. Paypal wants people just give up and keep the account open. What a cluster. FWIW - Venmo is owned by Paypal.

Comment

Update. PayPal capitulated and reversed this decision. Still, looks bad that they tried to sneak this in.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                  it only gets worse .... It was possible to close your account via online settings before. Now, users have to call and they are put on HOLD for a very looooooooong time. Paypal wants people just give up and keep the account open. What a cluster. FWIW - Venmo is owned by Paypal.
                  Zelle seems less commie. Cashapp it owned by the twitter folks, if think

Comment

PACE Forum
                    This is one reason why we are how and where we are now.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

It appears they can still fine you $2500 for breaking the following rule:

"You may not use the PayPal service for activities that … relate to … the promotion of hate, violence, racial or other forms of intolerance that is discriminatory or the financial exploitation of a crime …."

I don't have any problem with this rule, and the platform should be able to kick people off that do these things. That said, there's no sane way that a company can just take your money because they don't like what you said, or in this case bought or sold on their site. And in this case, whether you violated these rules is solely at the discretion of PayPal. That's terrifying. We're deleting our accounts. This is madness.

Comment

PACE Forum
                        No! Every person needs to know about this.

This is crazy. How in the world is that simply Paypal not stealing?
                        If allowed could your bank do the same thing? Credit card company?

Comment

What other options are out there for this type of service?

Looks like Venmo is out.

Cashapp is out, being owned by Twitter/Facebook. I am astounded the number of people who still use these platforms.

Zelle?

Comment

Sorry if dumb question....but how would you spread misinformation through paypal? I have used it before for transactions on ebay and don't understand where during the financial transaction you have an opportunity to spread hateful misinformation? I'm confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              Sorry if dumb question....but how would you spread misinformation through paypal? I have used it before for transactions on ebay and don't understand where during the financial transaction you have an opportunity to spread hateful misinformation? I'm confused.
                              I would think they could make some of these judgements on what you're buying and selling, for one.

Comment

Working...
                              X