No announcement yet.

Getting in Shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think breath work will help you progress at a better pace. I try to do 15 minutes a day. Really work on your full exhale holds.

I like to walk our bully a couple of miles in the AM. I have found that doing simple Asian squats a few times a day really works on your base. Butt just a couple inches off the floor. Try to build to a five minute squat.

I also use a salvaged ram arm off a cat backhoe, cut it to a good length. It weighs 40 pounds and you can do about any exercise with it. Plus if you start walking with the bar it really works on your conditioning.

Comment

Diet diet diet.

Working out goes hand in hand with diet but without a proper or atleast a decent diet you’re gonna hobble your progress.

It is possible for some people to out train a junk diet but it’s a low percentage that are capable of that.

Comment

My opinion is that IF you are doing anything outside, especially in this heat, do it early or late. It is easy to get discouraged when you look like you just went swimming, but didn't. Your body is also working overtime trying to stay cool AND whatever exercise you are doing at the time, just think about that.

Good luck and stay with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          Dont do this if youre married. Do it if you wanna shag more

Cross fit gyms need to have upside down pineapple flags hanging from the billboard
          I had to use the Googler on this one, who knew. LOL

Comment

my wife and I started a custom program about a month ago with just general exercises, 3 types per day that alternate every other day. No weights, just body weight as the resistance. Can tell a difference already but got a long way to go. Weight loss is a plus but general toning is the goal for now.

Comment

Get a divorce. Easiest way there is to lose that extra weight

Comment

Cross fit gyms need to have upside down pineapple flags hanging from the billboard

My neighbors were always giving away pineapples. They would set them on their porch. I thought they were upside down so the juice wouldn't settle at the bottom. Always thought that was very nice of them. They must have given away a lot of them because there was always people in and out of the house. Good neighbors.

Comment

Get a membership and work each body part once a week with strength training. Buy a jump rope and get after it. It is still one of the best core workouts to get you in shape! Drink lots of water and try to do better on your diet. If you put in the work- it will come off. I will be 53 in September and this method still works for me. Good Luck!

Comment

Different things work for different people. I can only say what I have done to date. At 50 I felt out of shape and was seeing limitations in what I could do (started getting out of breath hunting the W Texas hills on foot etc). I struggle with dieting and cant stand to try and work out by myself (lack of self motivation). I ended up starting a crossfit class because I enjoy the competition nature and as mentioned before all the exercise can be scaled! I also went on the 16-8 fasting diet (this has allowed me to continue to eat the meal I enjoy) and it seems pretty easy to follow after the first couple of days. I am a year in now and have lost 25lbs. Now I have also gained muscle mass so don't be fooled by the only 25lbs in a year number. I have lost a lot more of unwanted weight! I now even run 1 mile after every class. I go 4 days a week mon-thurs and rest the weekend. If you start Crossfit and are not used to working out you will be sore as heck for the first week or two (i could barely walk in the mornings the first week). You will need to FORCE yourself to go right back the next day and get the workout in. It is TOUGH to do but it become easier as you go. Once you get in the grove of going and if you enjoy the competition nature of it you get to where you really hate to miss class if you can't make that day. I do battle minor injuries (sprains/strains) but I battle through them or scale the load until I am feeling good again but I go anyway. Again, this is what I do and it works for me because I am a competitive person and when my mind wants to quit...... seeing the others in class plow through makes me keep going! Best of luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                      You can’t outrun a bad diet.
                      Great way to put it!
                      One of the sayings that really stuck with me is it’s hard to stay in shape and it’s hard to be out of shape…choose your hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is funny right here!

Rwc

Comment

We camp a lot. I always tell my wife, watch out for pineapples, lawn gnomes, and pink flamingos in front of campers. The first time I said this, she said "stop stereotyping". Then she met a person staying at one of those sites. And she said I hate when your stereotypes are right.

It pays to stereotype.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                            I had to use the Googler on this one, who knew. LOL

Me too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sign up for some kind of race. Get something on the calendar and then work towards it.

I was sedentary for 20 years. Hated working out. Last year when I turned 40 I wanted to do something outside of my comfort zone and I signed up for a sprint triathlon.

Started from never working out to fast forward to today and I work out 10+ hours a week. I freaking love it. I've done a bunch of triathlons now including a 70.3 mile race. I've lost 40 pounds and I'm in better shape at 41 than I was at 21.

All these starvation diets that are out there are junk. They will never work over the long term. Eat clean food. Workout a bunch and you can eat a bunch and be happy.

And don't let the heat scare you away. Get up early and its not as hot. Being outside is a million times better than slaving away in a gym.

Comment

It's been said a lot already but diet is key. Getting your diet right will have you feeling better by itself. If you want to workout to improve cardio/strength then you can do something organized like Camp Gladiator. It's a bootcamp style workout. It's fun.

Another option is order some sand bags (I like Brute Force) and sign up for their daily workout email (free). It's always a wicked workout.

Or, just throw 30-40# in a pack and start walking, it works.

Comment

Working...
                                X