2022 Thermal and Night Vision thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ToRqUeTwIsTeR View Post
    Thanks for the information, Jason. I will save your number, and give you a call when I’m a little bit more serious aka income tax return. Lol
    Haha! I totally understand! No rush and no problem at all.

Comment

I see the tiapan 10 has gone down to $550. Is this a sale or a new price?

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
        I see the tiapan 10 has gone down to $550. Is this a sale or a new price?
        New lower price. It was $799 and they lowered it to $549 the week of SHOT Show. We've got another shipment of them that's hung up in the snow storm but we'll have them in stock next week.

If you're not wanting to ID out past 100-125 yards and you don't have a higher end thermal scope, it's a nice little optic. If you've used much other thermal the low 256 resolution, lower refresh rate, fixed focus and 1x, is hard to stomach but if you don't need much and it's all close range then it does a fair job for what it is.

Description The Taipan TM10-256 handheld observational thermal monocular is equipped with a 256×192 infrared detector and a 720×540 LCOS display. It supports functions of observation, highest temperature target tracking, distance measurement, Wi-Fi hotspot, and so on. The high-sensitivity built-in thermal detector prov

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
          New lower price. It was $799 and they lowered it to $549 the week of SHOT Show. We've got another shipment of them that's hung up in the snow storm but we'll have them in stock next week.

If you're not wanting to ID out past 100-125 yards and you don't have a higher end thermal scope, it's a nice little optic. If you've used much other thermal the low 256 resolution, lower refresh rate, fixed focus and 1x, is hard to stomach but if you don't need much and it's all close range then it does a fair job for what it is.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/produc...rmal-monocular

I am a low key night hunter. Not much time for it between work and kids. I have a sightmark wraith optic and need something to scan with. I have zero thermal experience so, I think it fits the bill of in frequent use, equal to or slightly better ID range than my wraith, better detection ability than NV, and price.

Anyone on here have a taipan 10 that can throw in 2 cents, other than Jason? Appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazo View Post
            Lets talk Thermal Monocular.

I've been kicking the idea around about getting one because scanning through my scope on my rifle gets tiring after a while.

The 2 budget friendly option I have been looking at are the PULSAR AXION KEY XM30 2.5-10X THERMAL MONOCULAR or the AGM TAIPAN TM19-384 1.9-15.2X THERMAL MONOCULAR.

Who has which and how do you like them?
            I use a taipan tm15 .i chose it over the tm19 for a few reasons . i didn't want to have to mess with focussing it ,i wanted the widest field of view possible , and afterall it's just a viewer. i must say i use it a lot but not the way most people would think. i don't even look into it , i turn off the internal screen and use an ipad to watch, record and make all the adjustments on the picture like polarity and zoom .. one thing to note is you can zoom in and zoom out with the ipad .. with the viewer itself you have to go 1,2,4.. back to 1. same for palete i can go WH -BH back and forward without having to go through all the modes.

I hunt feeders primarily , and use green solar lights from amazon to see at night with my trijicon accupoint .

if you're on a budget , or just lazy like me, it works great ... you can see animals as they approach and just wait for the right shot ... my buddy has the same setup next door and can take shots to 300 yards that way as well .. the video below is actually from his blind couple weeks ago . he doesn't even own thermal , we just use cell cameras and sneak up at night , or just blind hunt.

if i hunt elsewhere i just use my trijicon reap-ir it's still fantastic even by today's standards except it doesn't have all the built in recording and wifi bells and whistles everybody wants .. but it's features are all i need .. no auto nuke, no focus , no nonsense .. just great picture and performance .

on a side note, when new my agm got lines in the screen within a week ... they swapped it out.. the weekend of the recording below a racoon showed up after dark and i recorded it.. when i tried to retrieve the video .. it no longer works .. so it's in the mail back to them as well a little over a year later . they have been good honoring warranty , and i hope the next one will last ... just wanted to mention it. i was shooting my 243 with leupold 3x9 and a SAS arbiter can .. did a video on the thread adapter some time back to fit old timer guns.. it works ... turned the poor coon inside out at 100 yards (distance to the feeder)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32G5y1NsvGI&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnabl o"]AGM Taipan TM15-384 - YouTube[/ame]

second video shows the white hot black hot and zoom in and out function of the taipan when controller via ipad .. also note it's good enough to spot rabbits at 60 yards and even field mice .

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X8bvZ-dTJk&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnablo"]AGM Taipan T-vision software to iphone recording - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

here is another video where you can see the taipan in action with deer and pig ..
              [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtT6onX8Mc8&ab_channel=standbackitsgonnabl o"]Hog hunt recorded via thermal monocular AGM Taipan - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

here is the coon @night @100 yards .. spotted with taipan and finished off using green amazon led solar lights
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                  I use a taipan tm15 .i chose it over the tm19 for a few reasons . i didn't want to have to mess with focussing it ,i wanted the widest field of view possible , and afterall it's just a viewer. i must say i use it a lot but not the way most people would think. i don't even look into it , i turn off the internal screen and use an ipad to watch, record and make all the adjustments on the picture like polarity and zoom .. one thing to note is you can zoom in and zoom out with the ipad .. with the viewer itself you have to go 1,2,4.. back to 1. same for palete i can go WH -BH back and forward without having to go through all the modes.

I hunt feeders primarily , and use green solar lights from amazon to see at night with my trijicon accupoint .

if you're on a budget , or just lazy like me, it works great ... you can see animals as they approach and just wait for the right shot ... my buddy has the same setup next door and can take shots to 300 yards that way as well .. the video below is actually from his blind couple weeks ago . he doesn't even own thermal , we just use cell cameras and sneak up at night , or just blind hunt.

if i hunt elsewhere i just use my trijicon reap-ir it's still fantastic even by today's standards except it doesn't have all the built in recording and wifi bells and whistles everybody wants .. but it's features are all i need .. no auto nuke, no focus , no nonsense .. just great picture and performance .

on a side note, when new my agm got lines in the screen within a week ... they swapped it out.. the weekend of the recording below a racoon showed up after dark and i recorded it.. when i tried to retrieve the video .. it no longer works .. so it's in the mail back to them as well a little over a year later . they have been good honoring warranty , and i hope the next one will last ... just wanted to mention it. i was shooting my 243 with leupold 3x9 and a SAS arbiter can .. did a video on the thread adapter some time back to fit old timer guns.. it works ... turned the poor coon inside out at 100 yards (distance to the feeder)

AGM Taipan TM15-384 - YouTube

second video shows the white hot black hot and zoom in and out function of the taipan when controller via ipad .. also note it's good enough to spot rabbits at 60 yards and even field mice .

AGM Taipan T-vision software to iphone recording - YouTube

Great info. Thank you. I was actually wondering if I could do exactly what you do when I’m hunting a feeder and that’s connect it to an iPad or iPhone and just sit back and wait.

I still think I’ll stick with the 10…maybe after I get a thermal optic I will get a better monocular.

Comment

Originally posted by J-Carp View Post
                    Great info. Thank you. I was actually wondering if I could do exactly what you do when I’m hunting a feeder and that’s connect it to an iPad or iPhone and just sit back and wait.

I still think I’ll stick with the 10…maybe after I get a thermal optic I will get a better monocular.
                    exactly and you can keep the windows closed except for the thermal .. i was actually thinking of making a mag mount for the outside ... close the windows so no scent and stay toasty .. then crack a window quietly when it's time to shoot. i do that anyways in some case as the feeder is north of the blind, so a south wind could get you busted..

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                      exactly and you can keep the windows closed except for the thermal .. i was actually thinking of making a mag mount for the outside ... close the windows so no scent and stay toasty .. then crack a window quietly when it's time to shoot. i do that anyways in some case as the feeder is north of the blind, so a south wind could get you busted..

Good idea. Maybe use a large magnet with felt on either side so that you can effectively hunt any blind without a fixed mount.

Comment

Sold my Trijicon Reap and bought an Nvision Halo 50x. Got a very good price of $6600 out the door.

I looked thru the halo 35x and 50x and wanted a little more zoom with the 50

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                          Sold my Trijicon Reap and bought an Nvision Halo 50x. Got a very good price of $6600 out the door.

I looked thru the halo 35x and 50x and wanted a little more zoom with the 50
                          Thats a good price. I assume that is second hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                            Thats a good price. I assume that is second hand?
                            I bought it new. Getting shipped from N-Vision

Comment

Wife got it done tonight. First pig kill ever and she did it with the thermal

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally got out and did some calling. Ended up with three fox in the video below. We got two hogs also, I will upload those videos soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X