Boyds gun stocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boyds gun stocks

I have a Ruger American that I want to put into a Boyds laminate stock. I already have a couple of there stocks and haven't had any issues so far. I know that that there customer service is non existent and have heard that there quality has taken a nose dive.

Anyone bought one recently?

How recent was the nose dive?
    I bought 2 probably a year and a half ago and both were fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Couldn’t tell you about the quality change. We’ve had to do some sanding on every one I’ve ever bought. That being said I could handle it for $150. Now that they are $250 it makes me more leery about it.

Comment

I bought one about 2 years ago, and it is great. Minor sanding, as others said, but vastly superior to the factory stock.

Comment

I am a 2-3 yr old repeat customer, and everything has been drop in perfect for me. It changed the whole feel of the rifle for me. Money well spent.

Comment

I bought a spike camp thumb hole (I think that’s correct) around 6 months ago and I was not impressed. LOTS of sanding and a few imperfections on stock.

Comment

Not sure why other people are having to sand their stocks, I have had two of them. Both came on the rifle from the factory. First one was a thumbhole stock on my 9317, I could not shoot the gun very long, because the pistol grip was too thin and caused my hand to cramp severely, after shooting for 10 to 15 minutes. That's a case of, the stock just did not fit me at all. I have gotten on their web site many times, you can not get them to customize the shape of their stocks. They are all CNC cut to a specific patter for a given rifle and that's what you get.

My other rifle that came with a Boyd's stock, that stock is one of my favorite stocks ever. So naturally they don't make that stock anymore. It's a thick stock, with a thick grip and a palm swell. It is probably the most comfortable stock I have ever had on any gun.
              That stock had what I thought were nicks in the stock, I tried to avoid noticing them for the first year or two. Then after a few years of having the rifle, I thought about trying to fill in the nicks in the stock. I absolutely did not want to get rid of the stock. When I got to looking at the stock closer. I found they were not nicks, but very thin lines of epoxy resin that made thin sharp lines on the stock. When you ran your fingers over them, it felt like a someone had hit the stock with a knife blade and left a narrow line in the stock. Luckily it was just a very thin line of resin on the stock surface. I had three spots on the stock that had the same problem. I took a razor, scraped the top of the line of resin, lightly. To slowly knock the height of the lines down, until it was flush or near flush to the height of the rest of the surrounding stock. Then I took some fine sand paper, and sanded the area, till it was very smooth and flat. Then kept going finer on the sand paper, all the way down to 2000 grit. Now you can not tell there were ever any problems with the stock.

As long as they keep their CNC equipment running properly, the stocks should all be cut exactly the same. Then I don't know how they apply the finish to the stocks. The finish can be removed easily and redone, if needed, or like mine touched up.

Comment

I’ve bought 3 stocks from them in the past year (2021). All were excellent for the price

Comment

I got one for what ended up being the grandson's rifle, all I had to do (IIRC) was "finish" the inletting a bit to allow the action to sit correctly in the stock before glass bedding it. It's a Boyd's laminate with additional checkering. Very nice for the price, but I got it about 3 or so years ago so I'm not up on current issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ruger.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	24673440

Stu

Comment

I ended up going with a B&C stock. It was more expensive but the bedding, metal trigger guard and overall fit and finish was excellent........and I was able to talk to someone on the phone when I had a question. Action fit tight and barrel was floated all the way back.

Comment

Pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Blends really well. Looks great. Good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by mkk View Post
                          Pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which model is that? I really like how that turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                            Which model is that? I really like how that turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            RAP 6.5CM with a 18" barrel

Comment

Got this one last week. Had to open up the barrel channel just a tiny bit for free float.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X