No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going purely after meat/experience this year. Put in for WY cow elk. Higher probability of drawing/tagging out (hopefully). Will be hunting with my 454 Casull assuming I draw.

Comment

Anyone get any hits on their card yet for AZ? Nothing here yet and I know they are running slower this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Randy M where are you hunting up here ?
        And, is your Casull a rifle or pistol ? Spouse has 2 Rossi/Puma rifles and a Freedom Arms pistol. Rifles are great to shoot, pistol not so much fun.
        Either will wok great on a cow .

Comment

For you folks submitting applications for drawing tags, this may he of interest. I use OnX Hunt all the time, both hunting and search & rescue.

Just remember to download the area you’re going prior while on WiFi. Then you have the full map and information with no cell service. Otherwise- you’re flying blind.

Comment

Originally posted by zins708 View Post
            Anyone get any hits on their card yet for AZ? Nothing here yet and I know they are running slower this year.

I believe Arizona is supposed to start hitting cards tomorrow.

Comment

Bill, thanks for the heads up. I already have an active Elite membership from last year so I'm curious to see what the Toprut and such have to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                I believe Arizona is supposed to start hitting cards tomorrow.

I got an email from AZFG stating they extended the deadline to update cc info until tomorrow, I guess they are drawing after that. They have been having a ton of IT issues.

Comment

Is New Mexico worth applying to? I have done it for 10 years, probably into it for $500 or $600 in fees and nothing to show for it.

I was looking up the premium elk hunts and for my top three the best odds for the third choice is a 3% chance of drawing. Not looking for an opportunity hunt.

My question is, is applying in New Mexico for trophy units only basically a stupid tax on wannabe elk trophy hunters?
                  Last edited by BuckSmasher; 03-16-2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                    Is New Mexico worth applying to? I have done it for 10 years, probably into it for $500 or $600 in fees and nothing to show for it.

I was looking up the premium elk hunts and for my top three the best odds for the third choice is a 3% chance of drawing. Not looking for an opportunity hunt.

My question is, is applying in New Mexico for trophy units only basically a stupid tax on wannabe elk trophy hunters?
                    Had you been applying in Wyoming and/or buying PP for those 10 years you could be hunting a trophy area this fall.
                    If the changes in LQ allocations go through next year those odds will be much higher in 2022.

NM produces some huge bulls no doubt but I wonder about those draw odds.

Comment

Someone’s got to draw those tags. If you don’t put in for them it’s guaranteed to not be you. Over ten years you’re only out 50 a year to have the opportunity at a world class elk hunt.

You’re the only one that can know if it’s worth it to you or not. It’s worth it to me

Comment

not worth it save your money..

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                          Had you been applying in Wyoming and/or buying PP for those 10 years you could be hunting a trophy area this fall.
                          If the changes in LQ allocations go through next year those odds will be much higher in 2022.

NM produces some huge bulls no doubt but I wonder about those draw odds.
                          What will they do that makes it easier to draw in 2022? Hopefully doing away with landowner tags and the outfitter pool?

I have 2 less than max in Wyoming, not sure how I want to spend them, but definitely looking to spend them next year. Just planning on focusing on Idaho only this year unless I draw a crazy random good tag in Utah or NM, if I even put in for NM.

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                          Someone’s got to draw those tags. If you don’t put in for them it’s guaranteed to not be you. Over ten years you’re only out 50 a year to have the opportunity at a world class elk hunt.

You’re the only one that can know if it’s worth it to you or not. It’s worth it to me
                          That has what has kept me applying all these years but the odds are only 1 in 25 or lower...

Originally posted by BassMaster13 View Post
                          not worth it save your money..
                          Lol I won't be affecting your odds much either way.

Comment

Yes, don’t waste your money.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                              Yes, don’t waste your money.
                              Let me re-phrase the question.

Has anyone on the GS ever drawn a premium NM elk tag?

Comment

Let me re-phrase the question.

Has anyone on the GS ever drawn a premium NM elk tag?
                                I have yet to draw a premium elk tag and I am a resident. I still get to hunt every year but the odds of a nonresident being successful on the hunts I've drawn is pretty low.

Comment

Working...
                                X