No announcement yet.

coast fish freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a person keeping 5 trout this year considered a meat haul? I keep hearing that term and have wondered exactly how someone has a meat haul/freezer filler with a 5 fish limit. Most people come for the weekend and fish a couple days at most.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
      Is a person keeping 5 trout this year considered a meat haul? I keep hearing that term and have wondered exactly how someone has a meat haul/freezer filler with a 5 fish limit. Most people come for the weekend and fish a couple days at most.
      ^^ this....keeping 5 fish is not a meat haul, but I won't keep (and haven't kept) more than 2-3 fish, and then only when I know that my wife and I are gonna eat them within a day or 2.

Comment

No one should feel guilty for keeping whatever they want if it is within the law.

Comment

Five 15-17” trout is dinner for a family of 4. Lol. It’s impossible to meat haul with our limits. I’ll continue to keep what I want.

Comment

How about you just ban croaker as bait. That would go a lot further for the trout population.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
              No one should feel guilty for keeping whatever they want if it is within the law.
              Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
              Five 15-17” trout is dinner for a family of 4. Lol. It’s impossible to meat haul with our limits. I’ll continue to keep what I want.
              Agree with these guys.

Comment

Mic drop. Our extremely conservative limits have done away with meat hauls. Even if you kept your possession and next day limit, that's 10 fish total. Enough to feed a family of 4 MAYBE twice.

Comment

Since we all so worried, maybe guides could take a year off, but im sure that is just silly talk.

Comment

Originally posted by HNT ETX View Post
                    Since we all so worried, maybe guides could take a year off, but im sure that is just silly talk.
                    Would you take a year off?

Comment

And there u go. If my job was running something i love in the ground. Yes, i would seek other employement until things improved.

BTW....all industries have downturns. When the oilfield crashes, people move on and are expected to do so. I was one of those a long time ago.
                      Last edited by HNT ETX; 03-07-2021, 07:41 PM.

Comment

What is it about a guided trip that is different from an unguided trip when you go with your buddy in his boat?

Fishing guides provide a means for the general public to access a public resource. Guides provide a service to the general public. The anglers on my boat are regular citizens like you and follow the same rules and limits as you do. They have the same ability and option to catch and release or catch and kill as you do. There is no difference at all. Either the resource can withstand a harvest at a particular level or it can't. But it isn't right to limit public access to the resource based on if people can afford to buy a boat or not. People should be allowed to access the resource in whatever way they choose so long as they follow the same harvest rules.

Do not fool yourself for a second, stopping guided trips will not stop guides from fishing. Not at all. Most of us do it because we love it. If I can't work as a guide I'll load my boat with my fishing buddies who are all outstanding anglers and we will still be out there catching as many or more fish as I ever have. I did it for many years before I became a guide and if I ever can't guide fishermen I will do it as long as I can after guiding.

The notion of banning guides is misguided and short sighted. It would solve literally nothing.

Comment

The difference for me is..... when i go with a guide i catch a lot more keepers and less hardheads. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                            What is it about a guided trip that is different from an unguided trip when you go with your buddy in his boat?

Fishing guides provide a means for the general public to access a public resource. Guides provide a service to the general public. The anglers on my boat are regular citizens like you and follow the same rules and limits as you do. They have the same ability and option to catch and release or catch and kill as you do. There is no difference at all. Either the resource can withstand a harvest at a particular level or it can't. But it isn't right to limit public access to the resource based on if people can afford to buy a boat or not. People should be allowed to access the resource in whatever way they choose so long as they follow the same harvest rules.

Do not fool yourself for a second, stopping guided trips will not stop guides from fishing. Not at all. Most of us do it because we love it. If I can't work as a guide I'll load my boat with my fishing buddies who are all outstanding anglers and we will still be out there catching as many or more fish as I ever have. I did it for many years before I became a guide and if I ever can't guide fishermen I will do it as long as I can after guiding.

The notion of banning guides is misguided and short sighted. It would solve literally nothing.

I agree with you.

Comment

times are a changin'

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post

^^^ do not fool yourself for a second... it's becoming more and more obvious that population growth is starting the 'fight' for Texas' resources. so, don't take it personal when people take note of all the guides social media pages full of dead fish. people just don't see guides(esp. bay guides) the same any more.. what they do see is..well, scroll through the pictures on your facebook... many, heck, the majority of those fish would still be in the water if it was left up to your clients to catch their own fish.... some wouldn't have a boat..some wouldn't have the skill, etc. that, in itself, would leave many more fish in the bay..

now, i've fished out of the harbor and charlie's for over 30 yrs(i've even seen your al. rig w/the rails frequently) you can not tell me, honestly, that if you were NOT a guide, you would feel compelled to keep all the keepers you lawfully could.. i'm sure you can catch fish, so if you fished just a few times a month, you'd have more fish than your immediate family would ever want to eat..

glen, on the topic, why do you think no one has caught a water body record speckled trout in decades without a major freeze?(you can't really count bud rowland's, b/c it was never seen/weighed etc by txpwd) why have so many bass records been broken on our tx lakes this year alone? despite the pressure..

you are very correct, you do provide the means, etc as you mentioned on your post.. i'm not saying guiding is wrong, but i am saying guide boat's take a very large portion of fish out of the bays. people realize you are making a private living on a public resource.. bass tarpon bonefish billfish and many other types of fish are mostly released on guided trips..i think that is what hnt etx was conveying.

after the freeze, i posted something very much related.. got hammered by a few(heck, mexico called me a puta! but his opinion doesn't really matter b/c i hear he is the kind of guy that will shoot a buck that he himself has agreed to being off limits!)

a lot of people genuinely love the coast, and the fishery. and see where it's headed.. 12" dinks the norm.. you wrote that the general public should have a means to access the fishing public resource. i absolutely agree.. but there was a time long ago when pretty much everyone had access to productive hunting land as well.. not so long ago about anyone could commercial flounder, oyster or shrimp.. times are changing just as fast as our population

Comment

i say a year or 2 increase the size limit to 17 minimum would do wonders for all the skinny dink 14.75 trout that get kept.. that might offset the dent put by this freeze..

but if its within the law and im hungry for trout you darn right Im keeping some table fare

Comment

Working...
                                X