No announcement yet.

Owl Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didnt know I wanted to build an owl box until now.

Comment

Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
      I didnt know I wanted to build an owl box until now.
      It is a lot of fun to sit out back while they "screech", fly around, and bring babies food.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
        will tag this thread. Plan on doing owl, bat and wood duck houses this year.

Me too! I've got a pond in my back yard, about 80-100 yards from the back door. I've never seen a duck on it, I'm guessing the wood duck box would never be used? I have seen bats and heard several owls.

Comment

TPWD is your friend. Bird box dimensions for several species, including owl and wood duck, here: https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild...ng/birdhouses/

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
            TPWD is your friend. Bird box dimensions for several species, including owl and wood duck, here: https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild...ng/birdhouses/
            The first thing I did when I looked at this was laugh. Bluebird box floor should be 5.5x5.75. I bet papa bluebird carries a tape measure.

My bluebird boxes are 5x5x15, horizontal. They ain't never complained.

Comment

One of my projects this weekend was making owl boxes, came out with 4 so far. Going to paint or stain them before they are mounted to a tree.
              Attached Files

Comment

Great posts and pics here, owls are just such cool birds. Tons of attitude and personality.

Comment

Are yall able to find 1x10 rough cut cedar? I ended up using fence pickets and reinforcing them.

Comment

We put up 2 at our hunting camp. The first one was inhabited by a screech owl immediately, has been ever since. The baby owls will poke their heads out and stare at you when we mow around the nest box. The second one was first inhabited by screech owls, then barn owls, and for the last 2 years has a bee hive inside.

Comment

For a year we had a pair of great horned owls nest in the framed up house that was here when we bought the place. We dried it in and haven't seen them since. I was hoping they'd talk to the pole barn but, no luck.

I appreciate the thread and those plans. I will build a couple this weekend.

Would cedar boards work?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

All good comments here but if you are going to build and place an owl house, do it quick. Most owls nest in late winter, early spring so a lot have all ready begun the process, especially in southern part of Texas. We have a pair in Houston area which I believe have all ready laid eggs.

Placement is important. They prefer southeast facing but any direction but North will do. They also prefer to be at least 10 or more feet above the ground. And make sure no branches in front of the entrance. For some reason, they prefer them to be in bigger, older trees. Just my observation on this one.

As with all bird houses, I would recommend AGAINST painting or staining them. Natural wood feel is preferred. I know they won’t last as long but natural wood is preferred. As also stated, lots of good building instructions online. I’ve made several small bird boxes just out of old fence pickets.

In addition to owls, other box nesting birds are looking for homes now too. Bluebirds, chickadees, titmice, wrens and whistling ducks have all been checking out boxes since the big freeze around me. Always enjoy providing boxes for various birds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X