No announcement yet.

TPWD Draw Hunts and Non-residents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They won’t do anything that will cut there revenue. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
      Lol, well played.
      Sheep are a very valuable resource to have for the game and fish for any state.

Have not even looked at what governors sheep tags are bringing these days throughout the west.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
        Pretty similar to the Super Tag raffles in Wyoming. Everyone pays the same and has the same odds, NR do pay higher license costs if they win.
        NR license in Texas is $315.
        How many animals can they kill with that lic?

Comment

I’m this episode of the Meat Eater podcast Steve interviews the director of TPWD and during the interview they talk specifically about non residents impact on the draw system.

Steven Rinella talks to Carter Smith and Janis Putelis. Subjects discussed: college epiphanies; a wrong turn at Waco; social ecologist Steve Kellert and sociobiologist E.O. Wilson; private land in Texas; what happens when critters...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huggybear View Post
            They won’t do anything that will cut there revenue. Lol.

Increasing NR draw fees will increase revenue. Most western states use NR tags and app fees to fund the majority of their departments...

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
              Non-resident big game license has 5 whitetail tags, 2 mule deer, and 4 turkey tags, two javillina and includes small game and upland.

What state has the same for $315?

The equivalent
              In NM that's $2300, although you can't get that many deer tags
              In Oklahoma that's $482 if you only hunt deer in one season. (Although you can get that many deer tags or turkey or javi)
              You forgot the $10k lease fee they'll have to pay in order to find any huntable land in Texas.

In all seriousness, talking about the draw for public land in Texas they'd be buying a license for one species that they draw or put in to draw and it's extremely unrealistic to add up everything on the license to try to compare costs.

Comment

Originally posted by WBT View Post
                And most western states allocate 90% of available tags to residents and when there's only one tag, it must go to a resident.
                That's not true. Take CO, for example.

"Elk and deer tags that required six or more points are limited to 20% to non-residents while tags that took less than 6 points to draw permit up to 35% allocation to non-residents."

Another example is WY...

"Currently, the Wyoming resident receives or buys roughly 80% of the big game licenses .... Nonresident hunters receive approximately 20% of the licenses ..."

Comment

It is amazing to me the State controlled lands in far West Texas such as the Chinati Mountains SNA owned by the State of Texas since 1996, that have no hunts. Other State areas have very minimal hunting on them. I also think it is a travesty to pay State employees to shoot Aoudad, Elk and other exotics on Texas properties instead of having hunts for them. JMHO

Comment

Gripping on a survey isn't going to do much, this is going to have to be a legislative change. Only way to start that change is to get a hold of your congressman.

The draw system is quite annoying, but the way they control/ hand hold your hunt is the REALLY annoying part.

example: Black gap wma is almost 70,000 acres and give out 16 MD tags! Only giving three days for each hunt. That's ridiculous!
                    Elephant Mt give out the same 16 tags for only 20,000acres. So you can't say it's them protecting the resource.
                    If the resource can't handle the hunting pressure for giving 16 hunters access to the area for 15 - 30 days don't give out the tags.
                    Last edited by BassMaster13; 03-03-2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Left my 2¢. Last year they actually changed 2 of the things I suggessted so maybe others were saying the same thing and they actually listened, I recommended more archery hunts opportunity and they did a little bit of that through the e-postcard hunts, though there still needs to be more with the WMA's they have access to, and recommended preference points being worth more and they cubed points so that works.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                        You forgot the $10k lease fee they'll have to pay in order to find any huntable land in Texas.

In all seriousness, talking about the draw for public land in Texas they'd be buying a license for one species that they draw or put in to draw and it's extremely unrealistic to add up everything on the license to try to compare costs.

The draw hunts won’t require a lease. Maybe I’m not understanding your point, but for a draw hunt the costs are rather easy to figure.

Comment

Originally posted by wilded View Post
                          It is amazing to me the State controlled lands in far West Texas such as the Chinati Mountains SNA owned by the State of Texas since 1996, that have no hunts. Other State areas have very minimal hunting on them. I also think it is a travesty to pay State employees to shoot Aoudad, Elk and other exotics on Texas properties instead of having hunts for them. JMHO
                          That is bad. This was years ago on the exotic hunt there but we had a Ranger tell us at Devils river he drives around and shoots them off the roads in the SNA all the time so it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                            That's not true. Take CO, for example.

"Elk and deer tags that required six or more points are limited to 20% to non-residents while tags that took less than 6 points to draw permit up to 35% allocation to non-residents."

Another example is WY...

"Currently, the Wyoming resident receives or buys roughly 80% of the big game licenses .... Nonresident hunters receive approximately 20% of the licenses ..."

Wyoming has just introduced a Bill to reduce NR tags to 10% and further hike fees and non residents can’t do self guided hunts in federally designated wilderness. It’s not currently 10%, but there are some pretty significant additional costs and significantly less opportunity for NR hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by BassMaster13 View Post
                              Gripping on a survey isn't going to do much, this is going to have to be a legislative change. Only way to start that change is to get a hold of your congressman.

The draw system is quite annoying, but the way they control/ hand hold your hunt is the REALLY annoying part.

example: Black gap wma is almost 70,000 acres and give out 16 MD tags! Only giving three days for each hunt. That's ridiculous!
                              Elephant Mt give out the same 16 tags for only 20,000acres. So you can't say it's them protecting the resource.
                              If the resource can't handle the hunting pressure for giving 16 hunters access to the area for 15 - 30 days don't give out the tags.

The sheep take precedence of MD. They are not going to turn out hunters for 30 days to harass sheep.

I am surprised they give out 16 tags for Black Gap to be honest. More populated deer density around Elephant. Wonder what success rate for these deer hunts are.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                                If TPWD had a program that allowed a non-drawn hunter to volunteer to help run the/a hunt in exchange for a preference point or two for the following year in the hunt category of your choosing, would you volunteer?
                                I don't like that, points should only be gained by no draw in that category for the year. I'm not even that big a fan on the option to just buy a point for that year, you need to be in the hat to gain a point.

Comment

Working...
                                X