No announcement yet.

HVAC Cost - Sanity Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is because you are buying Trane equipment. Way overpriced. Get you an Amana line 2 stage system. ASXC18036 with a comfortbridge furnace. Make sure you register the equipment and you get a 10 year warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
      You don't say if it's new construction or replacement. Has a big effect on cost.
      Replacement

Comment

Originally posted by Gclyde28 View Post
        True Variable Speed is expensive.

Heck.. I'm not sure I even need a variable speed ?? Being that my current units are 28 yrs old, I'm sure variable speed was not even available then..My problem is I don't know squat about this stuff so it makes me a easy target. I am so greatful for the GS folks..

Comment

Replaced our 5 ton system 2 years ago this month with a Carrier 14 seer system. Air handler is in the attic like yours , but kind of tight quarters, it was $6800.

Comment

Seems a bit high. What is variable on the furnace, the fan, or the burner capacity?
            2 kinds of fan motors are available in all furnaces today, ECM, which is a variable speed which is set up with dip switches and is the best and most efficient fan, and variable torque, which the has 4 speeds and is set up at startup.
            Variable burner capacity means the fire modulates depending upon how much heat is needed. Two stage furnaces and single stage furnaces are available also. Variable capacity and fan speed being the most expensive.
            Trane XL17 outdoor units are 2 stage up to 17.7seer. 14seer is the minimum that can be sold in Texas.

There are a lot of variables in system changeout prices that make it very hard to say whether it is too high or not. Ease of access, room to work, duct repairs and connections, filtration, humidification, and thermostat selection all figure in.

There is a lot of cost difference in a 14seer system and a 17+seer system, several thousand dollars.
            I encourage people to weigh the price difference of a base system and a high efficiency system, and decide if there are enough energy savings to make it worth upgrading (most of the time there is). Only consider the difference in the base vs higher eff for energy payback, you are already buying the base system.
            The increase in comfort level with the multistage and variable capacity systems have value also, you have to determine if it is worth it to you.

My advise, get bids on a base (14seer) system, a 16 - 17seer system, and a 20+seer
            variable speed system. Good, better, best.

Remember, be comfortable with whomever does your install, so check out your contractors and select the best, you are spending a lot of money.

Comment

seems pretty high. We put in a 16 seer trane heat pump in Sept and paid $7k

Comment

Local busiest company tried to rape me, they get most the work without question, good to shop around.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                  Seems a bit high. What is variable on the furnace, the fan, or the burner capacity?
                  2 kinds of fan motors are available in all furnaces today, ECM, which is a variable speed which is set up with dip switches and is the best and most efficient fan, and variable torque, which the has 4 speeds and is set up at startup.
                  Variable burner capacity means the fire modulates depending upon how much heat is needed. Two stage furnaces and single stage furnaces are available also. Variable capacity and fan speed being the most expensive.
                  Trane XL17 outdoor units are 2 stage up to 17.7seer. 14seer is the minimum that can be sold in Texas.

There are a lot of variables in system changeout prices that make it very hard to say whether it is too high or not. Ease of access, room to work, duct repairs and connections, filtration, humidification, and thermostat selection all figure in.

There is a lot of cost difference in a 14seer system and a 17+seer system, several thousand dollars.
                  I encourage people to weigh the price difference of a base system and a high efficiency system, and decide if there are enough energy savings to make it worth upgrading (most of the time there is). Only consider the difference in the base vs higher eff for energy payback, you are already buying the base system.
                  The increase in comfort level with the multistage and variable capacity systems have value also, you have to determine if it is worth it to you.

My advise, get bids on a base (14seer) system, a 16 - 17seer system, and a 20+seer
                  variable speed system. Good, better, best.

Remember, be comfortable with whomever does your install, so check out your contractors and select the best, you are spending a lot of money.
                  Variable speed is the fan ( if I understand correctly). Once is unit comes and gets stable is runs between 30 - 70 % based on the need. I'm told variable helps tighter regulate humidity. Again, if I am understanding correctly..

Comment

Got another bid today for 2.5/14seer American Standard $6744
                    and 2.5/16seer $8836. I got more bids coming. I can thank you enough for your help !!
                    Last edited by PSE guy; 01-24-2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

I'm in Cypress, and just starting to get prices for a whole replacement system.

Looking for any advice.

Currently 2200sq.ft, 4 ton unit. First contractor said it was "oversized" and suggested a 3 1/2 ton replacement (then never came back with a quote even).

Comment

Originally posted by PSE guy View Post
                        Got quoted today $13K installed for a 3 Ton Trane XR17 AC with XV80 Variable Speed Gas Furnace and Coil. Since I know nothing about this stuff I need a sanity check on the costs. It's a 2 story attic installation, Not tight quarters. Can the experts give some feedback ? It's the 1st quote..
                        I sell Trane. That price is HIGH. I can do a Trane XV18i for that price. That is a two stage system with variable speed indoor. So its a great unit just should be around $10K for it. Of course lots of other variables go into that pricing but just an average idea.

Comment

Whatever the price is, take half of that for profit to the contractor. The money they make is crazy, im in the wrong business.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
                            Whatever the price is, take half of that for profit to the contractor. The money they make is crazy, im in the wrong business.
                            Yep. An ac guy I know showed me his eqpt price sheet, his cost vs what they charge ( not including install etc ). It was literally double. 5 ton Carrier ( I think ) was like $3800

( dont remember the seer and that has a big effect )

Higher seer units go up in price quickly, and quite frankly aren't worth it. There was a payback chart somewhere on the net that showed cost vs savings. Seems like in general, above 16 seer was a waste of money ( cost vs energy savings)

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
                              For most.

A friend of mine makes good money doing it on the side. When those companies give 12k bids for 3500 bucks in equipment, his 5000 gets jobs when needed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, u can make some real good side money

Comment

Working...
                                X