Tomorrow is the Big Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow is the Big Day!

I feel like a kid the night before Christmas. Skidsteer with a shredder will be at the ranch tomorrow morning. Hoping the weather holds out, I've been looking forward to this for a while. Can't wait for the operator to get in there and clear out some shooting lanes are trails for me. Going to have him clear a big "road" so I can start getting in there with the tractor.

The land clearing by hand didn't last long

Is he charging you by the hour? How big of tree can his machine take down? I have been thinking of getting some work done on our lease but i am a ways away from you.

Comment

What size unit is he bringing? The newer skidsteers are really nice. Hope you get a lot done and the weather doesn't cost you wasted time.

Comment

Sounds fun

Comment

Hope it's not raining at your ranch like it is in Houston right now!!!!

Comment

Watch out for the fawn crop.

Comment

What a beautiful day, got an inch and a half of rain yesterday. The feller should be here around 10. Walking the area where he will be cutting looking for last minute sheds and fawns.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                Is he charging you by the hour? How big of tree can his machine take down? I have been thinking of getting some work done on our lease but i am a ways away from you.
                Yup by the hour. I believe 4” is where his machine maxes out.

Comment

How did it go?

Comment

A guy on our lease has a side business running a bobcat with a mulcher on it. It is insane how fast it is able to clear stuff so thick you couldn’t walk through it!

What would take me a day with a chainsaw and machete he can do in 20 minutes! Not to mention the poison ivy would hospitilaize me.

Comment

He did an incredible job, got a lot cleared. My father and grand father were so amazed they’re hiring him for a couple more days to clean up fence lines. I’m going to get him out for another day this summer. Absolutely incredible and well worth the hourly. What he can do in an hour would take me a week or more.

Comment

was it a brush hog(shredder) or a forestry mulcher?

Comment

Glad to hear it is all coming together!

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                            was it a brush hog(shredder) or a forestry mulcher?
                            It was a shredder, after watching him work I honestly do not need a mulcher for this property. His shredder was able to do everything I needed and more efficiently.

I learned 2 things:
                            1) The price of an operator that knows how to run the equipment is well worth the extra expense over the price of renting the machine and doing it myself.
                            2) The hourly price might seem steep but he can do more in a day than I can do in a year.

Comment

I'm using skidsteer and brushhog on my place, 2-3" tree is about all I try to tackle.

Comment

Working...
                              X