Discussion - Ground Blind vs Tree Stand Success Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussion - Ground Blind vs Tree Stand Success Rates

Looking for discussion on success rates hunting out of a ground blind vs out of a tree of some sort. I don’t have a good tree at the spot I’m trying to hunt without making a bunch of noise cutting limbs etc.

I have a primos double bull and plenty of brush to cut and brush it in. Ideally I am going to go in and get it set up then come back a few days later to hunt it.

Tips, tricks?

TIA.

Ive had deer walk under my ladder stand, tripod and get within 5 feet of a pop up ground blind.

As long as you dont move fast or make noise I think they are equal. Tree stands generally give you more visibility.

Comment

Each have pros and cons.

Tree can get your scent further before the bust you. Better visibility.

Blind- can usually get away with a little more movement and can sit much more comfortable.

I've killed out of both. I prefer a blind, personally.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

You can get away with more in a ground blind but vision is limited compared to a tree stand.

Comment

Location will dictate that answer for bow hunting

Central, west and south where bait station and small trees - ground blind. Since your building the area anyway... might as well build it complete ready to hunt

East - tree stand we have more options for them and brush and visibility sucks on the ground (I despise hunting from blinds anywhere)

Public or even out of state- tree stands rule. In 20+ years I don’t know of a single success hunt from a ground blind on a deer
          Corn or production ag fields would be only situational sits I’d entertain one
          Last edited by Low Fence; 10-11-2019, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
            Location will dictate that answer for bow hunting

Central, west and south where bait station and small trees - ground blind. Since your building the area anyway... might as well build it complete ready to hunt

East - tree stand we have more options for them and brush and visibility sucks on the ground (I despise hunting from blinds anywhere)

Public or even out of state- tree stands rule. In 20+ years I don’t know of a single success hunt from a ground blind on a deer
            Corn or production ag fields would be only situational sits I’d entertain one
            Agreed. I'll add that even a ground blind that's brushed in well can take some deer a while to adjust to and get comfortable with. I know that pressured deer will be wary of the slightest change to environment sometimes. When I used to ground blind hunt, I used to get it set up a couple weeks before hunting it. I prefer to be a minimum of 15 ft in a tree personally. I have had tremendously more success in a tree versus a blind. Also when rifle hunting, I've found that forsaking the box stand over a feeder and moving outside of these areas to hunt game trails between feeding and bedding areas has allowed me to encounter way more mature bucks. I bow hunt in a tree but sit on the ground in a gillie suit with a rifle while using the wind wisely.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
              Agreed. I'll add that even a ground blind that's brushed in well can take some deer a while to adjust to and get comfortable with. I know that pressured deer will be wary of the slightest change to environment sometimes. When I used to ground blind hunt, I used to get it set up a couple weeks before hunting it. I prefer to be a minimum of 15 ft in a tree personally. I have had tremendously more success in a tree versus a blind. Also when rifle hunting, I've found that forsaking the box stand over a feeder and moving outside of these areas to hunt game trails between feeding and bedding areas has allowed me to encounter way more mature bucks. I bow hunt in a tree but sit on the ground in a gillie suit with a rifle while using the wind wisely.
              Thanks Gents. I am going to be on a short timeline between setting up and hunting this particular spot. It’s covered up in mature deer and I really really don’t want to bust them out of there with too much change. I have a climber, no good trees where I need to be, I have the ground blind and all the brush in the world to use to set it up..... just torn on what to do.

Comment

Ground blinds just..... don’t work, in non baited pre set situations (in my area), for a bow shot. Gun... no problem

Sticks, steps, gaffs and a stand (or saddle is becoming very popular) I can hunt deer where they are and hunt where I need to be vs hunting for a tree that’s kinda close... might work.. hopefully to where I need to be.

The stand route is cheaper and currently faster option to saddle (most are sold out)

You can put a refrigerator box in my bedroom and try and hide it all you want.... but when I walk in MY bedroom I’ll notice something different

Comment

I like a good brushed in ground blind, but I hunt in deep South Texas and it’s hot as heck in them. I have always had better luck not getting busted, while sitting in a 10’ tripod. So, I pretty much hunt from a tripod all season. Focus on being in the shade, brush in front and behind you and your walk in direction according to the wind.

Comment

I have been sitting in treestands for 40 years, I enjoy it but scent is always an issue, I have swirling winds at my place alot. I have set up blinds and had deer rub up against them 5 minutes later so I do believe in using them when needed, personally I shoot a longbow and I have to dig out a bit so I don't hit the roof of the blind or I would use mine more often.

Comment

I grew up hunting out of tree stands, ladder stands.

I prefer a tree stand over a ground blind because

1) I can see more. Ground blind seriously limits my view. Especially like Kyle said above, east Texas brush is thick

2) In the early season ground blinds are like sweat lodges and put you on the verge of seeing "visions" I do not like to sweat when deer hunting. HOT and deer don't go together in my opinion

3) Critters like to get in ground blinds. Pack rats, snakes and no telling what else you might find when you open the door to climb in while it is still 45min until light.

4) My sight needs a light on it early and late when it is prime time because the dark blind does not have enough light coming in to light them up

I am not against hunting out of one, hunted out of one last weekend but had pigs come in behind me and never knew they were there until they were on top of me and then there was no way to get a shot off because of the position of the windows

Comment

I personally prefer hunting out of a tree stand 20'-25' off the ground. I feel that it keeps me up and out of the deer's nature line of sight and give me ability to look out over larger areas and see deer coming before they arrive.

I have used ground blinds almost exclusively for hogs recently as I feel it gives me a better angle for getting double lung or heart shots and avoiding their shoulder plate.

Comment

pop ups have been most successful for me. but, i love being up in the tree/tripod with the ability to see more.

Comment

All depends on your surroundings ground blinds for archery around here in GA and East TX Probably really aren’t even an option. Tree stands are the way to go with all the tall straight pines and hard woods. When I was in central Texas, (bell county) with all the short cedars it was prime for a ground blind. If I could find a tree to climb I would. Prefer to hunt in a stand. feel there is a less chance of getting busted and I’ve basically grown up Bow hunting out of a tree
                            Last edited by Jcjohnson; 10-16-2019, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Prefer tree stands/ quadpods because I can see more and you have more 360 ability to know what's going on. But on cold ,misty, rainy mornings when the winds blow'n a ground blind is hard to beat. Use to not bother me so much but now, once I get cold I stay cold.

Comment

Working...
                              X