No announcement yet.

HDPE pipe cultipacker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does using one of these do? What is the purpose of it?

Comment

That's a neat Idea!

Comment

Originally posted by horns07 View Post
        What does using one of these do? What is the purpose of it?
        to press the seeds into the dirt to ensure good seed/soil contact.

Comment

Hmm so instead of running a drag you run this?

Comment

Originally posted by horns07 View Post
            Hmm so instead of running a drag you run this?
            could be done that way. from what i have read/researched, spread the larger seeds that need 1" or more of depth, followed by the drag to cover seeds and level out the dirt. next spread the small seeds that only need 1/8" of depth, and then run the cultipacker over them.

Comment

Gotcha thanks

Comment

Hdpe

I'm in

Comment

We had one that we built out of steel culvert pipe basically the same design and it held up well.

Comment

Originally posted by red View Post
                    could be done that way. from what i have read/researched, spread the larger seeds that need 1" or more of depth, followed by the drag to cover seeds and level out the dirt. next spread the small seeds that only need 1/8" of depth, and then run the cultipacker over them.
                    It should also help pack the soil to prevent wind and run off erosion, keeping more of the seed in place. It also makes it a little harder for the birds to steal the seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by 686 View Post
                      UPDATE

I planted about 2 acres this weekend and the HDPE didn't hold up. It might work in very soft sand, but my soil is too hard and has too many rocks.

[ATTACH]747094[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]747095[/ATTACH]

Going to have to rebuild the rolling assembly with cast iron or steel wheels. I'd like to fill the cast or steel wheels with concrete for the weight, but that could be a challenge.
                      I know this is an old post, I just wanted to thank the OP for the update. So many times we don't get an update. THank you. I was about to do this same project and the only HDPE i could find was used piece of double wall. So i was about to get going even though it thought the "ribs" wouldn't hold up, and i ran across this update. I'm going to see if i can crawl into mine and cut open the "ribs" from the inside. Then i just fill and it should hold.

thanks again for the update.

Comment

Bumping this back up. I am in the market for one and like the way these look. One question though. How did yall get the pipe centered and stay put for the concrete to dry?

Comment

Originally posted by stroker_ace View Post
                          Since I didn't use bearings, my cost was somewhere between $150-175.

I used a piece of 2.5" pipe with an end cap and grease fitting that the 2" axle rides in on the frame.
                          wow, way better than the 1700 quote from Kubota i got.

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
                            Bumping this back up. I am in the market for one and like the way these look. One question though. How did yall get the pipe centered and stay put for the concrete to dry?
                            cheap plywood to cap each end of the pipe with a hole cut in the center of each to align the axle housing

Comment

Working...
                            X