No announcement yet.

Rattle Snake Antivenim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copperhead = children’s liquid Benadryl = 1 tsp for every12.5 pounds of body weight, remove collar, and plenty of water

Comment

To answer the original question, there are now at least 3 different brands of crotalid antivenin that can be used for most Rattlesnake, Copperhead, and Water Moccasin bites.

This is an improvement because for a long time there was only one Crofab antivenin available and it was more expensive.

They range in cost from about $400-600 to administer to animals. That does not include additional support such as IV fluids, blood testing (clotting times), antibiotics, pain meds, or hospitalization fees at most veterinary ERs.

This won’t be popular, but Benadryl does NOTHING for snake bites. Give it if you want. It won’t help but it won’t hurt (except for delaying the time to get real treatment for the truly serious bites). This is the same advice as sucking the venom out of a wound- for people it caused delays in them getting the treatment they needed.

The only proven effective treatment is antivenin and whatever supportive care is needed.

If your dog or cat survives the bite and it didn’t get antivenin, it was because it wasn’t a lethal bite and only caused a local reaction (pain, swelling, bruising, infection). This is true no matter what else you give.

And not to confuse things, but Benadryl is often administered along with antivenin to counteract possible allergic reactions to the antivenin itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The “Rattlesnake Vaccine,” when given before a bite occurs, might reduce the reaction to the bite. But, the vaccine hasn’t undergone clinical trials to prove effectiveness.

Most that use it feel it helps to some degree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sandhillhunter View Post
          This won’t be popular, but Benadryl does NOTHING for snake bites. Give it if you want. It won’t help but it won’t hurt (except for delaying the time to get real treatment for the truly serious bites). This is the same advice as sucking the venom out of a wound- for people it caused delays in them getting the treatment they needed.

Hmmm...…...who to believe?

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
            Hmmm...…...who to believe?
            Most dogs will survive a snake bite. That's another fact. So, it's no surprise that when lots of people post up and say my dog was bitten and I gave it Benadryl and it did fine, that would be true.

He said in the article that Benadryl is NEVER wrong to give. No one can make that claim. I've seen a dog have an allergic reaction to Benadryl. I don't think there's any medication you can say is NEVER wrong to give.

Some say that the antivenin is dangerous, and it can be if it is given to a pet or person that is allergic to it. That is why either a test dose is given first, or the patient is given Benadryl ahead of time to counteract possible reactions.

Benadryl is an antihistamine. Snake venom does not (or maybe I should say rarely because I can't prove that it never does) trigger histamine release. So, giving an anti-histamine won't counteract anything other secondary allergic response to antivenin.

I've lost several patients to snake bites (all were rattlesnake bites). None of those patients were given antivenin and I always wished after the fact that I would have given it. It was declined due to cost.

I've never lost a patient (dog or cat) that's had antivenin administered. Sometimes it takes multiple doses and one dog ended up in the ER and had to have a transfusion due to severe clotting abnormalities, but he ultimately survived.

The harmful effects of a snake bite in animals is no different than that seen in humans (except animals don't express pain the same way). I looked and couldn't find any resources for humans that recommended people taking Benadryl for their snake bites. The only mention I could find (medical references) had to do with using it before giving antivenin to reduce the risk of allergic reaction. Why do you think that is?

I'll look for some scientific references later today about Benadryl use in animals for snake bites and post them up.

Comment

when i got bit antivenom was fourteen thousand dollars a bag. I went through four of them. I hope its not the same for dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
                Not sure it's the same but for humans it's about $2000 a dose. And yes I know from experience.
                That must have been a long time ago. It's gone up by at least a factor of ten since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                  It’s that time of the year...is the canine anti the same as a human antivenin? Is it available and how much should it cost? What do you do if you or your dog gets bit by a Copper Head? Thanks in advance
                  Not the same as human version, most dogs need a booster. Copperhead venom is different then Rattlesnake. Copperheads rarely kill dogs. My buddies DD got bite by a copper head in the roof of the mouth, and hit a vain. Dog died 4 hours later. He had the rattlesnake shots, and was current.

According to my Vet the shot is most effective closet to the last booster and trickles down from there. It’s no cure all more of a supplemental insurance policy, then full coverage if that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                  X