Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drone with Thermal Camera for Locating Deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drone with Thermal Camera for Locating Deer?

At this risk of crossing the fine line between sporting and cheating... Has anyone tried using a Drone with a thermal camera to locate where deer are bedding down overnight? I've seen a couple of live demos of drones with thermal cameras flying over fields/woods after dark and it definitely picks up any warm body. I'm sure with a bit of training you could tell a deer from a hog or cow.
    Last edited by atx_hunter; 10-10-2019, 01:14 PM.

1st sentence answered your question imo...no for me

Comment

Comment

For the clicking impaired-

"Except with permits issued by Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, the use of drones to hunt, drive, capture, take, count or photograph any wildlife is unlawful. This includes locating wounded animals as well."

Comment

Interesting, it never occurred to me that it might actually be illegal to take pictures of wildlife with a drone. I wonder if it's ever been enforced?

Comment

Originally posted by atx_hunter View Post
            Interesting, it never occurred to me that it might actually be illegal to take pictures of wildlife with a drone. I wonder if it's ever been enforced?
            I wouldn't want to test it.

Drone offenses have a really pesky way of becoming federal offenses.

Comment

Looks like TPWD pretty much covered the drone question. Guess you could fly a kite with a Thermal camera on it. Always more than one way to skin a cat, but I'm sure they would get you for that also.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                Looks like TPWD pretty much covered the drone question. Guess you could fly a kite with a Thermal camera on it. Always more than one way to skin a cat, but I'm sure they would get you for that also.
                Or we could actually just hunt...

Comment

Originally posted by atx_hunter View Post
                  I just read this and thought the exact same thing. That seems like a slight over-reach made in attempt to make the law very thorough. I guess they don't want anyone trying to make specific excuses and trying to exploit a loophole.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                    any wildlife is unlawful
                    Any wildlife? Youtube has tons of videos of people doing this with pigs?

Comment

Originally posted by abilliott View Post
                      I just read this and thought the exact same thing. That seems like a slight over-reach made in attempt to make the law very thorough. I guess they don't want anyone trying to make specific excuses and trying to exploit a loophole.
                      Yup, and if you can get close enough with a drone camera to take a pic that's worth a crap then you are definitely harassing wildlife so I'm all for it until they make 600mm zoom lenses for drones.

"No officer I was just out photographing wildlife...in full camo...with a rifle"

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                        Or we could actually just hunt...
                        Not to start a holy war, but "just hunt" is very subjective. Some folks don't think that "hunting" high fenced areas is really hunting, some think that "hunting" over a feeder isn't really hunting, and others think that using game cams is cheating. Using a drone is definitely not something I plan on doing, but others may feel differently.

Comment

Originally posted by batmaninja View Post
                          Any wildlife? Youtube has tons of videos of people doing this with pigs?
                          Pigs aren't "wildlife" in Texas, they are classified as invasive. Neither are exotics.

But even then looks like it's still illegal without the proper permits

"A person (which includes a pilot, applicant, gunner, observer, or Subagent) commits an offense if:..the person counts, photographs, relocates, captures, hunts, or takes or attempts to count, photograph, relocate, capture, hunt, or take from an aircraft any wildlife or exotic animals other than wildlife or exotic animals authorized by the AMP and LOA "
                          Last edited by Jspradley; 10-10-2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

so you can count deer out of a helicopter, but you can't count them with a drone? These are the times I'm glad we have government to guide us...

Comment

It should be legal to recover animals. I realize people would try to exploit this as a loophole, but, in the presence of evidence of having hit an animal (hair, blood, etc.) it should be legal.

Comment

Working...
                              X