No announcement yet.

143 eldx 6.5 not pleased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure Remington makes a 6.5 in a core lokt bullet. Might try ole faithful and go from there.

Comment

I like SSTs for everything under 200 yards. I have had the best luck on dropping critters on the spot with these and generally get an exit. The 123s out of my Grendel have been outstanding.

Comment

American whitetail 129gr works great.
        237yd shot on an Aoudad. Pass thru and dropped in his tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
          Following as I’ve always heard the 6.5 eldx is great on deer.

I’ve used hornady’s american hunter 6.5 cm and it dropped a doe in its place at about 60 yards.

X2 on the Hornady American Whitetail. My nephew shoots the 129 grain and it groups fantastic and hes even shot 4” plates at 300 yards through Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. And hes only 13 years old.

Killed an axis doe at 215 yards, dropped like a sack of potatoes with a good exit hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

143 eldx 6.5 not pleased

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
            I'm sure Remington makes a 6.5 in a core lokt bullet. Might try ole faithful and go from there.

I don’t understand why people overthink bullets for whitetail so often.

Get some core lokts, nosler parts, or other soft nosed bullets...and go kill stuff!

Last edited by Dale Moser; 10-20-2019, 10:17 PM.

Comment

I've killed several deer with 143 ELDX out of my .264 Win Mag, all at 100yds or less. Everyone of them blew up and gave no exit.

Comment

Originally posted by deep n the heat View Post
                I completely agree but my worry is if the make a shot that is not perfect. I want something that is going to do damage with a blood trail.
                They look like Dead Deer to me.......

A bad shot is a bad shot. Doesn't matter if its a 22lr or a 300 Win Mag.

Comment

I'm working on a Barnes 120g TSX load. I've got a few more tweaks to get it tightened up. Should be running around 2800 fps when done

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

Get some core lokts, nosler parts, or other soft nosed bullets...and go kill stuff!

Gota agree...They all kill..if ya hit them where ya supposed to....

Comment

I’m referring to the performance on many species. Whitetails are my test subjects. I personally care so much because I want to ensure good performance on an opportunity of a lifetime and of course a clean kill on a big animal.

Comment

This. It’s really simple

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                          Nosler Ballistic Tip
                          This is what I switched to and have been really happy with them

Comment

Because everyone wants the heart shot. We have become so custom to having sub-moa or sub-half moa rifles thats what we want in our hunting ammo. Because how confident does it make people feel when they are printing clover leafs at 100 yards the week before they go hunt. Hornady has done a great job designing the accuracy of this ammo, but it just doesn't suit our purpose here in Texas 90% of the time.

The ELDX shoots lights out for my rifle, but after going through 2 deer and only finding shrapnel I won't be using them again.

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                              This is what I switched to and have been really happy with them
                              My choice for elk, mule deer, and whitetail out of my .280

Comment

I agree with most of the comments on this thread. After shooting probably 8-10 animals with these and all of the same results I am not disputing the killing power and internal damage they have caused. We have shot deer from 120lbs to a 225lb deer this weekend and they have had identical results, dead deer with no blood.

Since the 6.5 has become very popular they have started stocking a wider variety of bullets and that is why I asked the question of what has performed as I asked with good external and internal damage.

I think some of the manufacturers want to make something different for the sake of being different and not what performs on actual game. Thanks for all of the replies.

Comment

Working...
                                X